Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 AM

14 posts, read 99,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Small tip on Rockaway, the higher the number street, the safer.
that's true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR87 View Post
Well I have found some properties I am interested in between Beach 95th Street and Beach 105th street.

Can anyone comment on how the area between beach 90 - 105 street is, in terms of Demographics, Crime, and Noise at night?

Is one section better than others?

Detailed responses are much appreciated.
crime and noise at night? you gotta be kidding me, you can ONLY hear the ocean and the wind, it's a pretty damn windy peninsula
people are friendly, mostly Irish and latino, it was tons of fun going to the city on St Patricks, I already had a party right there in the neighbourhood!

Far Rockaway is far more dangerous, been there only once and its a huge difference from Rockaway park. Take a stroll down Belle Harbour once, it's absolutely beautiful so yeah, the higher the street numbers are, the better it is. good luck and go for it, Rockaway park is beautiful and unique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 PM

30 posts, read 96,250 times
Cool, thanks, I appreciate it.

What about Beach 80 - Beach 90th street? ,

Hows that? Lots of crime or noise at night?

Just asking, since the only rockaway I know is Beach 116 and havent been back since I was a kid

Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 AM

14 posts, read 99,151 times
Quote:
Cool, thanks, I appreciate it.

What about Beach 80 - Beach 90th street? ,

Hows that? Lots of crime or noise at night?

Just asking, since the only rockaway I know is Beach 116 and havent been back since I was a kid
no problem

Beach 90th is pretty awesome since its close to Broad channel, the first stop on the shuttle train, lots of supermarkets, stores and a pretty vibrant area. super friendly people in the deli stores.

living in Rockaway is really all about having a car or not, it is a pain in the derriere to get to the city, but I never had any major problems, the shuttle trains run all night and sometimes on the weekend the A train goes straight to Rockaway park! It's kind of tricky if its snowing though cause the tracks tend to get...well...frozen

Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks..you have been most helpful.

Do you know anything about the area east of it? Beach 80th street? Just would like to know what is in close proximity.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Update

I have come across some properties that I am interested in, located around the vicinity of

Beach 84th street up until Beach 89th street

does anyone live or visit there?
How are the residents?
Whats it like to visit the beach there?
Demographics in terms of race/economics?

Thanks I'd like to hear from you.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Sean, you have not mentioned if you have children. Be forewarned that the schools on the secondary level are pretty horrible. Many of the elementary schools on the peninsula can be iffy as well. The biggest problems with Rockaway are shopping and its location as a remote area. There are supermarkets, but its limited. There is not much selection regarding where you can purchase things. There are no malls. It is far to everything whether you drive or take public transportation. Its also cold and windy there in the winter. That cool breeze in the summer is great, but the winters there feel much colder than in Manhattan.

You get what you pay for. Above 116th Street, you won't have to be lookng over your shoulder all the time and you have a more solid investment. Another area you can check out is Bayswater in Far Rock.

Also if you drive, be prepared to pay a lot of tolls. If you are young and single, be aware that other parts of the city would have a lot more action. There isn't even a movie theater any more. The big attraction in Rockaway is the Beach 365 days of the year. If you like to fish, swim, or surf, then it's the place for you. I strongly suggest you make a visit there this WINTER before you purchase to see what the area is like when the beach crowd is gone. Ride the buses,the A train, and the Rockaway shuttle as well to make sure this will be OK with you.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 AM

139 posts, read 568,968 times
Quote:
Well I have found some properties I am interested in between Beach 95th Street and Beach 105th street.

Can anyone comment on how the area between beach 90 - 105 street is, in terms of Demographics, Crime, and Noise at night?

Is one section better than others?

Detailed responses are much appreciated.

Noise at night will be around bars when drunks are going home.Crime is pretty much around the projects.If you have a fenced property and a dog,your good to go.Demos,..homes owner occupied with some rentals,high percentage of nyc civil servants,FD,PD,DSNY,etc.,and lots of tradesmen.Best surf in nyc on 90th surf beach.If your thinking of buying you can afford a car which you need.You can take the A train to the city which takes a while,but get a window seat, a coffee and bagel,a paper and enjoy the view of the bay.Since i was born and live here i am biased.I am spoiled and can't live anywhere else in nyc.Clean air off the ocean,the beach,boardwalk and ocean.Oh,...and the bay is great for recreation too.Nothing like coming home from work and taking the boat out.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
I have come across some properties that I am interested in, located around the vicinity of

Beach 84th street up until Beach 89th street

does anyone live or visit there?
How are the residents?
Whats it like to visit the beach there?
Demographics in terms of race/economics?

Thanks I'd like to hear from you.
thats near hammels houses, a high-crime NYCHA development. its a lower to lower-middle class community. its nice to visit the beach there. the 3 dominant groups are black, hispanic and irish.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Hey...thanks. First off I dont have kids...but thats a good point you are the first who ever mentioned it...I'm moving back to the city hopefully within one year, or less, will be getting a city job, and will be driving. The cold does not bother me. And yes, I am going in the winter to ride the train, walk around, etc.

So where are the hammels where does this run in terms of streets?
And this part of the beach is better than others? 84-89th?

For example I made some calls to agents regarding a place on Beach 84th, and Beach 89th...pretty close to each other, but how is this area to live?
Safe?
To come home in the early morning from the train?

And someonebody mentioned bayswater...I am not familiar with that...how is Bayswater?

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Hey...thanks. First off I dont have kids...but thats a good point you are the first who ever mentioned it...I'm moving back to the city hopefully within one year, or less, will be getting a city job, and will be driving. The cold does not bother me. And yes, I am going in the winter to ride the train, walk around, etc.

So where are the hammels where does this run in terms of streets?
And this part of the beach is better than others? 84-89th?

For example I made some calls to agents regarding a place on Beach 84th, and Beach 89th...pretty close to each other, but how is this area to live?
Safe?
To come home in the early morning from the train?

And someonebody mentioned bayswater...I am not familiar with that...how is Bayswater?

Thanks.
hammels is bordered by beach 81st street, rockaway beach boulevard, beach 86th street, and beach channel drive. i will sum up living in the area like this - if you lived in the ghetto before you wont have a problem living there.

bayswater is a part of far rockaway. the neighborhood is exclusively made up of one family old mansions, and some one family nice ranch houses.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City