Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 96,358 times

Advertisements

I just looked at bayswater actually..I saw some houses, within a block or two of the train stations at 25th Street and Far Rockaway, the A. Whats it like to ride, get off the train and walk home at 2 or 3 in the morning over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 PM

34,178 posts, read 47,465,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR87 View Post
I just looked at bayswater actually..I saw some houses, within a block or two of the train stations at 25th Street and Far Rockaway, the A. Whats it like to ride, get off the train and walk home at 2 or 3 in the morning over there?
you will be the only person on the street.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM

cool what about before that 10 at night - 2 in the morning?

and same scenario at the stop at Beach 90th street. What do you know about that?

As far as Bayswater goes I had no idea the houses were so affordable...for NYC standards...is it quiet at night?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM

11,661 posts, read 12,759,012 times
Bayswater primarily consist of single family homes, some large, some small. It is close to the bay. It is a quiet older area with mature trees. At one time, this was a neighborhood for the rich, but now it consists mostly of middle and working class people. IMO, most of the properties are well-kept. The residents primarily consist of Blacks, Orthodox Jews, and a few whites and hispanics. The worst part of Bayswater is that you have to go through the main commercial area of Far Rockaway, what us old-timers call "town." While it is busy and fairly commercial, it also has a reputation for many crime incidents. On Mott Ave. in the summer, people are standing around hanging out, sometimes rowdy, in front of the apartment buildings, and if you don't fit in with the residents, it can be uncomfortable. There is some shopping on Mott and Central Aves., a laundry mat, take-out food, a McDonald's, etc. but you have to be careful. Bayswater is close to the Five Towns in Nassau County. IMO, I would not consider the Mott Ave. subway station or the surrounding area very safe at night. Once you get into Bayswater, it is OK. You should check out the crime stats to give you a better idea.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,649,457 times
Quote:
Hello,
After time away from the city I am thinking about moving back. I was researching some real estate options and am looking into the Rockaway Beach area. I am looking in areas in between Beach 65th Street and Beach 95th street. My understanding that mostly anything east of 65th is unsafe and of poor quality, and mostly anything west of 95 is expensive.

Does anyone live there? How is the area? Safe? Quiet? Demographics? Is east of 65th not too bad anymore? Is west of 95th coming down in price these past few years?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you.
East 65th is pretty barren right now but like East 95th it is having a revitalization. I went there plenty of times during the summer and saw nothing but beach houses in the progress of being built. So in the next year or two I can definitely see it becoming a hot spot to live but it will be really expensive.

East 95th is beautiful and flourishing however, its right next to the project housing and for some odd reason, its charming to me. Very diverse ethnically and culturally (as is all of Queens) and there's some cool skate parks for people into that thing (especially kids and teens) and people from both sides of the fences seem to co-exist. There's some new apartment buildings and everything east of 93rd street (the spot where I usually go boogey boarding) is gorgeous and seems to get better all the time, every year.

Like I said, I am pretty sure it is expensive though. Its close to transit and has plenty of shops too.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
cool what about before that 10 at night - 2 in the morning?

and same scenario at the stop at Beach 90th street. What do you know about that?

As far as Bayswater goes I had no idea the houses were so affordable...for NYC standards...is it quiet at night?
from 10 at night to 2 am then u will see the hoodlums because the liquor around there closes at 11. beach 90th is rather quiet at night, no matter what time, because when you get off, you get off right underneath the EL...and there's no businesses or anything of that nature at that stretch of rockaway freeway....just a few storage places and residential factories.....i've noticed that you have asked a lot of questions about rockaway, is any of it helping? or are you really trying to gauge what it would really be like to live out here? you really have to experience the neighborhood for yourself at one point.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
East 65th is pretty barren right now but like East 95th it is having a revitalization. I went there plenty of times during the summer and saw nothing but beach houses in the progress of being built. So in the next year or two I can definitely see it becoming a hot spot to live but it will be really expensive.

East 95th is beautiful and flourishing however, its right next to the project housing and for some odd reason, its charming to me. Very diverse ethnically and culturally (as is all of Queens) and there's some cool skate parks for people into that thing (especially kids and teens) and people from both sides of the fences seem to co-exist. There's some new apartment buildings and everything east of 93rd street (the spot where I usually go boogey boarding) is gorgeous and seems to get better all the time, every year.

Like I said, I am pretty sure it is expensive though. Its close to transit and has plenty of shops too.
east? u mean Beach....lol

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 PM

11,661 posts, read 12,759,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

There is an East 95th Street and an East 65th Street in Manhattan. In Rockaway, there is a Beach 95th Street and a Beach 65th Street.

What housing projects near 95th Street are you talking about? Dayton Towers Coop and Surfside? Those are hardly slum housing developments and certainly not "projects." Those small shops come and go and are dead in the winter. Both "sides of the fence" do not always get along. There are plenty of conflicts. Seems like you don't know the area very well.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
from 10 at night to 2 am then u will see the hoodlums because the liquor around there closes at 11. beach 90th is rather quiet at night, no matter what time, because when you get off, you get off right underneath the EL...and there's no businesses or anything of that nature at that stretch of rockaway freeway....just a few storage places and residential factories.....i've noticed that you have asked a lot of questions about rockaway, is any of it helping? or are you really trying to gauge what it would really be like to live out here? you really have to experience the neighborhood for yourself at one point.
yeah it's helping man thanks.
I just live out of state, so I have a computer at the house and do research that way, okay?

I'm going to walk all over the place there.

This is a good forum you all helped me thanks.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Bayswater primarily consist of single family homes, some large, some small. It is close to the bay. It is a quiet older area with mature trees. At one time, this was a neighborhood for the rich, but now it consists mostly of middle and working class people. IMO, most of the properties are well-kept. The residents primarily consist of Blacks, Orthodox Jews, and a few whites and hispanics. The worst part of Bayswater is that you have to go through the main commercial area of Far Rockaway, what us old-timers call "town." While it is busy and fairly commercial, it also has a reputation for many crime incidents. On Mott Ave. in the summer, people are standing around hanging out, sometimes rowdy, in front of the apartment buildings, and if you don't fit in with the residents, it can be uncomfortable. There is some shopping on Mott and Central Aves., a laundry mat, take-out food, a McDonald's, etc. but you have to be careful. Bayswater is close to the Five Towns in Nassau County. IMO, I would not consider the Mott Ave. subway station or the surrounding area very safe at night. Once you get into Bayswater, it is OK. You should check out the crime stats to give you a better idea.

Hey this is a good post...about the Mott Avenue train station and the surrounding area being safe at night, what can you say about the train station at Beach 25th?

Also...whats it like to spend a day at the beach either on beach 2nd street or all the way through where it is no longer considered Far Rockaway..Beach 32nd or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City