Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 31,305 times

Advertisements

People in NY are so rude rude rude. I'm so sick of the rudeness I hope to be moving some times next year some where down south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,344 times
People in Manhatten will tend to be a lil nicer but if ur in the outer boros, more specifically Brooklyn or the Bronx, the average person wants nothing to do with a stranger. Its just safer to mind your own business and keep it moving. A stranger being to nice to you in that city can feel like a set up. ANyone wwho grew up there can attest to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
fyi: Long Islanders are New Yorkers too.
And sorry Long Island folks are not New Yorkers in the tradtional sense of the word. The upbringing there is a world of difference from those who grew up in NYC. But that conversation is for another forum.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 31,305 times
I was born and raised in NY I lived in the Bronx just about all my life. I moved to Manhattan 7 months ago. They don't let u get off the train before they get on they knock you down to get on the bus. I hate NY. I haven't left yet because all of my family is in NY. But I am leaving next year.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkr2008 View Post
I was born and raised in NY I lived in the Bronx just about all my life. I moved to Manhattan 7 months ago. They don't let u get off the train before they get on they knock you down to get on the bus.
Lol, this sounds like a true story. But I believe its those types of small encounters that toughen you up and give you a certain edginess as opposed to happy go lucky people who come from other places.
I moved to California and dated a girl who felt I I was too overly aware of my surroundings. I tried to explain to her that when u grew up in NYC, especially in the 80's and 90's, its just a survival tool, but she couldnt understand it.
I think your doing the right thing, u grew up in straightforward, loud, rude and at times, a dangerous NYC, and now you will take all youve learned and experienced and go live in a cheaper environment.

Godspeed

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM

326 posts, read 1,171,417 times
I found people from NY really nice and I'm from the south. They were more than helpful when I spent a week in manhattan. i'm sure their rude people in nyc like in any other city in America.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:48 AM

961 posts, read 2,466,554 times
kindness downsouth exists, but is overrated, rudeness in ny exists but is exaggerated.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,437,559 times
I found New Yorkers terribly friendly, actually I would say they're extraordinarily friendly for such a huge, busy city. I found customer service particularly good.

People who say New Yorkers are rude seem to expect a random pedestrian on a a busy Midtown sidewalk to wave at them, stop and ask them about their family.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM

326 posts, read 1,171,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
kindness downsouth exists, but is overrated, rudeness in ny exists but is exaggerated.
I know I'm used to southenr hospitality and thought NYers were even friendlier.

I think people become stereo typical and just think because they here somewhere that it's true and not take the time to see for themselves.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM

213 posts, read 823,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
To each their own. When I am out of town and trying to buy a cup of coffee or a newspaper and the counter person is chatting up every person with mind-bendingly inane conversation, further delaying me, that to me is very rude. And, if passers by on the sidewalks of Manhattan said hello to each other, the sidewalks would be a traffic jam and everyone would be hoarse in five blocks. I have no time, patience or need for small talk with strangers. Is that rude, or just one of the many reasons that I would live nowhere else but here?
LOL, the tone of your wording certainly didn't help your case. Not trying to be nitpicky or mean myself, just the way I read it made me envision someone speaking at a million miles per hour who has no time for Mod cut: language.

No one is expecting New Yorkers to go out of their way just to be super friendly or accommodating to strangers. The fact that the majority of folks in NYC are always busy and on-the-go has long been established... but simple acts of courtesy or kindness (holding the door for someone, saying 'please' and 'thank you', etc), which take all but two seconds, can really go a long way.

All I can say for myself is that I've only been to New York once (a year ago), and luckily I haven't had any negative experiences with the people there.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-20-2009 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 PM

784 posts, read 2,731,905 times
New Yorkers! We are not rude, it is the tourists who are rude!

You know the tourists, the ones that walk up 8th avenue in their groups of 6-8, mid-westerners so fat they end up blocking the whole sidewalk so you have to walk in the middle of the street to get around them! Summer Camps are the worst! 80-100 kids blocking the sidewalk! Or how about the tourists that stop walking suddenly and stand in the middle of the sidewalk to take their photos or look at their map! And they give me a dirty look when I walk into them!

Or how about the idiot tourists who fail to hold onto something while entering a subway car, and then laugh about it when the subway starts moving, and they fall on top of me!

Or how about the ones that take their sweet time at the cash register after they check out! Seriously, it's like grab your damn receipt and move to the side to pack up, there are people waiting behind you!

The other day some idiot tourist yelled at me for jaywalking! How rude is that!

If someone is lost, I will help them to the best of my ability. I'm not going to stand there and have a conversation with someone in the middle of Midtown...what do these people think I'm just walking around for my health - obviously I have things to do!

I remember when I went to college in Pittsburgh, it took the waitress 40 minutes to take our order! In NYC that is completely unacceptable! In 40 minutes I should be fed and asking for the check!

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-19-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City