Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericn11 View Post
I live in Florida and everyone in my community are very friendly except for the New Yorkers. These people are loud mouths, rude, and have the me me me attitude...... New Yorkers move to Florida and refuse to adapt while most other transplants from other states try to adapt to the Florida culture and the local sports teams etc..... New Yorkers left New York but refuse to leave the rat race rude attitude behind....... If New York is so great than move back really move back!
I totally disagree with you.. I mean if people from other states want to adapt to the Florida "lifestyle" its cool.. but some new yorkers cant leave New York behind(I know I couldn't).. and why should we anyways.To me it makes no sense..if I am a Yankee fan why should I start liking the Marlins, because I live in Florida now...ummm no. My cousin is from Queens he moved to Florida and year later I saw him back in NY.
I dont think New Yorkers are rude..at least not me. I was recently rushing to school and I was trying to catch the bus..I saw these three men who were obvious tourist.precisely colombian, I could tell because of their accent and I helped with what they were struggling with and they just could not thank me enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 AM

12 posts, read 25,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYA1989 View Post
I totally disagree with you.. I mean if people from other states want to adapt to the Florida "lifestyle" its cool.. but some new yorkers cant leave New York behind(I know I couldn't).. and why should we anyways.To me it makes no sense..if I am a Yankee fan why should I start liking the Marlins, because I live in Florida now...ummm no. My cousin is from Queens he moved to Florida and year later I saw him back in NY.
I dont think New Yorkers are rude..at least not me. I was recently rushing to school and I was trying to catch the bus..I saw these three men who were obvious tourist.precisely colombian, I could tell because of their accent and I helped with what they were struggling with and they just could not thank me enough.
Thats awesome! I just wish more New Yorkers were like you! One questions for you though, if New Yorkers cant leave New York behind than why did they move in the first place????? South Florida is a lot different than other parts of florida and South Florida has a lot of the same type of people as New York so in this part of Florida its really not a big deal if New Yorkers do not want to adapt. However, Tampa is a southern city and yes we do have a southern culture in Tampa. So my question is if New Yorkers dont like this southern culture why do they move to the Tampa area???? Maybe New Yorkers who refuse to leave New York behind should move to the Miami area..... Just a thought. Most New Yorkers refuse to understand our culture and the confederate flag is just one issue in the Tampa area........ I guess you proved not all New Yorkers are rude! I do believe that they refuse to even understand our culture which upsets all of the native floridians and believe it or not the other transplants from other states. I have seen people from Michigan, Ohio, etc try to adapt but not New Yorkers. I know I would never move up north and tell those people what they are doing is wrong or my ways are better and if I felt their ways are slow and wrong than maybe I should reconsider moving up north (not that I really would move up there).

Old 09-26-2009, 07:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
^^I guess it's just something you'd have to understand if you're from NY (I don't mean that in a mean way). It's hard to explain. Kind of like if someone in a small town in the south moved to NY. They love their culture from the south and still want to experience that culture up in NY. Of course they're going to be unhappy if they can't get good grits anywhere, for example. They'll openly talk about how much they miss it, miss their high school/college football that isn't popular here in NY, etc. Same with us when it comes to pizza and bagels. When we can't find any good pizza or bagels somewhere, we're vocal about it. That's one example. Us NYers are just vocal about anything, lol.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Thats awesome! I just wish more New Yorkers were like you! One questions for you though, if New Yorkers cant leave New York behind than why did they move in the first place????? South Florida is a lot different than other parts of florida and South Florida has a lot of the same type of people as New York so in this part of Florida its really not a big deal if New Yorkers do not want to adapt. However, Tampa is a southern city and yes we do have a southern culture in Tampa. So my question is if New Yorkers dont like this southern culture why do they move to the Tampa area???? Maybe New Yorkers who refuse to leave New York behind should move to the Miami area..... Just a thought. .
To answer the question, most New Yorkers move for one big reason, NYC has become the priciest show in town. Plain and simple. Native New Yorkers see people in other states living better lives on lower incomes and feel that its a bit impossible to pull it off in NYC so some of us bail out while were still young enough to enjoy life.
I moved out to LA about 5 years back; but I refuse to adapt to Californian ways; meaning I refuse to wear flip flops, I dont wanna speak to people buying coffee at the 7-11, I dont wanna say hello to every Tom, Dick and Jane walking down the street, and I dont like to wait for people to cross the street when I'm making a right turn
Theres a certain edginess that comes from growing up in NYC, especially if you grew up in certain parts of Brooklyn, the Bronx and Uptown Manhatten during the big crime years 70's thru mid 90's. Your guard is always up. Most of us feel that if were a lil too pleasant, people will try to take advantage of you. Thats just the way it is and most Native New Yorkers probably dont wanna change that mentality no matter where they move too.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start of my first post about an argument I had with someone about New York people being rude. lol. I grew up on Long Island, then moved into the city (Greenwich Village) a few years ago.

My brother had some friends visiting from Chicago and before they left I was asking them how they enjoyed their time here. They said that they found New York people to be extremely rude - everyone from police officers, to waiters, to hotel employees, etc. They said that people seemed annoyed when they had questions and did not seem friendly overall.

I am shocked. Am I biased because I am a New Yorker, or is this the true experience that people have when they visit the city?

You grew up in long Island and your brother lives in Chicago? Anyway if you've lived here all your life and you've never been to other cities across the US then I see where you would be shocked that other ppl consider New Yorkers "rude." I've lived in manhattan my entire life but after visiting LA for about 2 weeks I had already met more friendlier ppl there than my entire time here. Heck you even saw ppl of different races hanging out with each other on a routine basis. That doesn't happen here. It's a whole other world out there and this was LA for Moderator cut: language

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-26-2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Thats awesome! I just wish more New Yorkers were like you! One questions for you though, if New Yorkers cant leave New York behind than why did they move in the first place????? South Florida is a lot different than other parts of florida and South Florida has a lot of the same type of people as New York so in this part of Florida its really not a big deal if New Yorkers do not want to adapt. However, Tampa is a southern city and yes we do have a southern culture in Tampa. So my question is if New Yorkers dont like this southern culture why do they move to the Tampa area???? Maybe New Yorkers who refuse to leave New York behind should move to the Miami area..... Just a thought. Most New Yorkers refuse to understand our culture and the confederate flag is just one issue in the Tampa area........ I guess you proved not all New Yorkers are rude! I do believe that they refuse to even understand our culture which upsets all of the native floridians and believe it or not the other transplants from other states. I have seen people from Michigan, Ohio, etc try to adapt but not New Yorkers. I know I would never move up north and tell those people what they are doing is wrong or my ways are better and if I felt their ways are slow and wrong than maybe I should reconsider moving up north (not that I really would move up there).

I'm a New Yorker who moved to Florida. Actually, the reputation of New Yorkers as being rude is not a popular idea at least here, in South Florida. There a lot of New Yorkers here (no wonder they call Florida "the 6th borough) and they are all different. Some are rude and some are not. What precisely is a Floridian way anyway??? Florida is so diverse, anything goes, there is no "Florida way" anyway. What is the southern culture? What is your definition of it? Everyone brought a piece of their culture here. Besides, if everyone was the same, what fun would it be??

Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 32,082 times
NYers are friendly, but blunt. I much prefer their straight-forward attitude than passive-aggressive Seattle-ites. If someone doesn't like me, I'd rather have them tell me to my face, than be catty behind my back.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM

53 posts, read 176,020 times
I love New York - and love is not a word I use much, like is more appropriate for almost everything.I like good food, the sea and the fall foliage in new England and I love New York.
Few people who leave NY are happier in the place they move even if it is cheaper, quieter,have a bigger house or paycheck.
But it is true, there is a paradox- few people living in NY are happy.
The work's stress, the terrible commute, the small apartments make many people look/feel unhappy and they react accordingly.
There is also the American puritanism and fear of misunderstanding, few men have the courage to look a woman in the eyes or smile to her and the ones who did are in general Europeans, new in the city. People are tired, stressed, afraid of interaction. Because of that they live alone, take the laptop at Starbucks, run miles after miles, spend fortunes with the shrinks etc, etc. I will not define the attitude because I am sure many people will feel offended- you see, I react like a New Yorker, I am afraid I will be misunderstood. It is a sad situation and I don't know the solution.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I'm beginning to think that this "New Yorkers aren't friendly" business originated with tourists who had some kind of bad experience. As far as I can tell--and I was only born in this town--we're at least as friendly as people in any other city...if not moreso.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
NYC is hectic and fast-paced... it is hard to have a casual conversation while trying to catch your bus or trying to move the heck out of the way in the crowded sandwich shop. Everything is like adrenaline- think WWII action. Who has time to be "how do you do?" and all that?

But, New Yorkers are some of the best people I have ever met. So real and genuine. You'll learn to love them once you get used to them being so cold, blunt, rude. Don't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City