Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM

129 posts, read 467,893 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at transferring to college in NYC.

Does anyone have any opinions on what colleges would be good choices?

I'm looking for a school that would be a really good area in New York (specifically Manhattan)... My area of study would be liberal arts/business.

Some college's that I've been looking at our Marymount, Hunter, NYU, St Johns....

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM

63 posts, read 238,616 times
Marymount is pretty overpriced for the education you get. St. Johns is in Queens. Baruch is the best CUNY school for business; Hunter is more for LA. Fordham is good. Eugene Lang of The New School is very good for LA. No idea how your grades are, but if they're exceptional Columbia is awesome.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,687 times
Columbia, NYU, Fordham, New School, FIT, Pace, Saint John's.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM

16 posts, read 42,219 times
I go to Marymount, it's alright.
It's cheaper than the other private colleges here (off the top of my head I think it's something like $30,000 a year)
and it's really easy (I did more and harder work as a second semester senior in my high school overall than I have done so far at Marymount)
but most of the professors know what they're talking about and I feel like I've actually learned quite a bit.

The business program is pretty good and and a few others are as well, but it's mostly performing arts majors. I hear the visual arts program is pretty bad though.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
I go to Marymount, it's alright.
It's cheaper than the other private colleges here (off the top of my head I think it's something like $30,000 a year)
and it's really easy (I did more and harder work as a second semester senior in my high school overall than I have done so far at Marymount)
but most of the professors know what they're talking about and I feel like I've actually learned quite a bit.

The business program is pretty good and and a few others are as well, but it's mostly performing arts majors. I hear the visual arts program is pretty bad though.
NYU & Fordham are in the $30Ks as well and I'd place them well above Marymount.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 44,280 times
Baruch hands down. It's known as one of the best business school in the country, but it does have a strong liberal arts program as well. It's part of the City University of New York. It costs $4600 a year! You can't go wrong w/ it. It's reputation is national!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM

341 posts, read 452,903 times
Colombia, NYU, and Fordham..if you can afford it

Old 05-14-2009, 06:18 AM

22 posts, read 44,280 times
I went to Columbia. It's all smoke and mirrors and I came out with 80,000 of debt that I will be paying over the next 25 years consolidated. I work as a college advisor in a high school. No matter what college you go to it's hard to get a job these days that much is true. However, at least if you go to Baruch, which has a great rep you will come out debt free or with very little debt. It's hard to start your life with debt. It feels like a ball and chain around your leg.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJonesPlastic View Post
I went to Columbia. It's all smoke and mirrors and I came out with 80,000 of debt that I will be paying over the next 25 years consolidated. I work as a college advisor in a high school. No matter what college you go to it's hard to get a job these days that much is true. However, at least if you go to Baruch, which has a great rep you will come out debt free or with very little debt. It's hard to start your life with debt. It feels like a ball and chain around your leg.
I don't think your situation is the norm. What was your major? Of course if you major in something not in high demand or with no specific career route you're going to have a harder time getting a job. Everyone I know who has graduated from Columbia either got a job in their field fairly quickly or went to grad school.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM

35 posts, read 164,573 times
York College is considered the best in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City