Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 40,814 times

Advertisements

I am looking to transfer colleges from Indiana to New York. I have been looking online and I think the City College of New York (CCNY) seems like a really good school, but when I was reading on a message board, they said the school is terrible. I really wanted to go but now since everyone is giving bad reviews, I'm a little torn.

What other colleges do you suggest me to check out if CCNY is so bad? I really want a college with clubs since I'm moving all by myself and really want to make friends. I also would prefer a school in NYC if possible or at least fairly close to NYC. I don't have the best grades with a GPA of 2.1 and SAT 1400. I'm now getting straight A's though since I have quit my job. I'm 21 so I would like a college that has more of people my own age. I'm also majoring in English, but I really would like to find a school that offers a minor in Journalism.

So is CCNY a good school or terrible like what people say???

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
CCNY is okay. It's cheap and not a total joke or a for-profit. And with a 2.1 GPA, you really can't be choosy. Hunter College is the best CUNY school, but I think it might be a stretch. Queens College and Brooklyn College are also worth looking into.

There's Pace, too, but it's much pricier (private) and not that much better.

Is the 1400 on the new (2400) scale or the old (1600) scale?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 PM

22 posts, read 40,814 times
I'm not for certain. I took the SATs in 2006 or 2007. I'm not sure when it changed.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
1400 on the new scale. The new system was put in place in 2005.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
CUNY schools are essentially commuter schools. They're not going the have the clubs and social life of a residential campus. Yes, clubs exist, but if the members work a job and have to commute an hour home on the subway, they're not going to be very active.

Some campuses are better than others, but they're not really worth moving to the city to attend (unless it's a very specific program). Going to college is expensive. Living in New York is expensive. Going to college in New York is really, really expensive.

It's not worth going into debt to attend a mediocre school. You probably won't have the time or money to enjoy the city anyway.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
I disagree with that TPK, I went to a CUNY (Hunter) and there was lots of active social life around the clubs. There are even some Cuny campuses with dorms (Hunter, City), although I agree sometimes it can seem transient because you have alot of students working, or a high percent going to school part time.

The good thing about CUNY schools is that the the undergrand programs aren't expensive at all. You can still graduate and get your degree without going into (or accumulating a high) debt (I did and its beautiful to graduate with no debt!).

Now onto talk about your GPA, you don't have alot of room to maneuver here. Apply and see what happens, the thing you should realize is that now in this economic climate it's starting to get really competitive to get into particular CUNY schools like Hunter, Baruch, Brooklyn, City etc. because of the prices in relation to other local colleges.

In relation to English, Hunter and Brooklyn have stellar programs.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
CUNY schools do have a social life. It's a campus that now has residential dorms for students and there are many activities that go on.

CCNY is a great 4 year college and since you are a transfer student, all you have to do is go online to www.cuny.edu and fill out a transfer student application.

The application fee is $70 and follow the directions. The deadline though for the Spring 2011 semester has passed. It was September 15, but you may have time to apply for the Fall2011/Sping 2012 year.

Your GPA should be a 2.0 and I don't know if CUNY. Since you will be a transfer student your SAT scores will not matter, because you already attended college.

They will evaluate your credits to see which ones are transferable.

What is your major?

I would suggest you go to CCNY's website or just go to www.cuny.edu, there you will find all the CUNY college's website. Check them out to see which one you like and call the admissions office.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
CUNY schools are essentially commuter schools. They're not going the have the clubs and social life of a residential campus. Yes, clubs exist, but if the members work a job and have to commute an hour home on the subway, they're not going to be very active.

Some campuses are better than others, but they're not really worth moving to the city to attend (unless it's a very specific program). Going to college is expensive. Living in New York is expensive. Going to college in New York is really, really expensive.

It's not worth going into debt to attend a mediocre school. You probably won't have the time or money to enjoy the city anyway.
CUNY tuition is around approximately $5000/yr, that's nothing compared to other colleges in NY.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
I don't have any specifics, but my roommate goes to CCNY for grad school and she enjoys it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I don't have any specifics, but my roommate goes to CCNY for grad school and she enjoys it.
CCNY is a great college. Apply and see what happens or even go up there and walk on campus and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City