Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,819,727 times

Advertisements

Even though this is an old post, I took a look at Google Earth for the location the OP stated. I can see a car parked in the same position he described. The problem was that he parked past the end of the building where the curb starts to curve. If you look at W 70 St/West End Ave you can see that the innermost lines of the crosswalks line up with the end of the buildings. Thus he did violate the imaginary line law. This law is in place so that when cars come to the intersection they have a longer sight distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,160 times
Can I get an advice on how to fight a towed vehicle. My car got towed today. I have a fracture in my foot and could not get to the car on time. Do I have any chance to fight the 185 + the other charges? I understand if I leave the car for another day, it will be 20 dollars more per day. How and where can I dispute? will they give me the car without payment or I leave it in pond and keep fighting.
Please advice anyone!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
My daughter just got a ticket, since she was parked to close to the pump. She said she ran into the store no less than 5 mins. Okay, she was wrong! But now, who do you think has to pay the ticket? Me! Is there anyway I can fight this?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,525,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1161 View Post
Okay, she was wrong!
Quote:
Is there anyway I can fight this?
Sure, tell your daughter that she owes you whatever the ticket costs.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,825,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1161 View Post
My daughter just got a ticket, since she was parked to close to the pump. She said she ran into the store no less than 5 mins. Okay, she was wrong! But now, who do you think has to pay the ticket? Me! Is there anyway I can fight this?
"Okay, she was wrong!"

That is right, she was WRONG! YOU are wrong too!

Why are you trying to wiesel out of the fine?

WHY are you paying for your driving age daughter? What kind of message of responsibility are you teaching?

YOU allowed your vehicle to be used by an irresonsible individual, who do you think should pay?

Make your daughter get a job and pay you back for the fine. You should also render an additional punishment upon her for being irresponsible.

If you want your daughter to be a responsible person, then YOU need to act responsibly.

Rather you are teaching your daughter how to cheat; how to circumvent the law; how to disregard the law; that your individual interest is greater than society and the rule of law; that society's rules don't apply to you, etc.

Poor parenting for sure!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,698,160 times
fight it in court and see what happens..when i worked in traffic court you never saw the judge you saw the DA and another person, you decide to pay or fight it by waiting a day or a hour or two til the judge comes in..but all places are different..sometimes they will reduce the charge to a lesser extent

Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I was driving to the social security office to drop a friend off. I was hungry so I went to the doughnut shop for a sandwich. There were no parking spaces available so I parked next to a school which is directly across from the food plaza. I was literally away from my car for eight minutes and I come back to a parking enforcement officer writing me a ticket. I asked the man why I got the ticket and he said because I violated the parking regulations since my car was parked in a loading area. I didn't understand where I could park if not across There were two signs. One said two hour parking and the other above it said no parking on school days. Its summer and it seemed as if no one was inside the school. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon. I was gone for less than ten minutes. Can I still fight the ticket?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,525,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnerlyn360 View Post
I was driving to the social security office to drop a friend off. I was hungry so I went to the doughnut shop for a sandwich. There were no parking spaces available so I parked next to a school which is directly across from the food plaza. I was literally away from my car for eight minutes and I come back to a parking enforcement officer writing me a ticket. I asked the man why I got the ticket and he said because I violated the parking regulations since my car was parked in a loading area. I didn't understand where I could park if not across There were two signs. One said two hour parking and the other above it said no parking on school days. Its summer and it seemed as if no one was inside the school. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon. I was gone for less than ten minutes. Can I still fight the ticket?
The "No Parking on School Days" is a tricky one. My friend had a similar thing happen to him, his car was towed in one of those zones in Washington Heights, but it was late summer, a couple weeks before class was back in session.

Apparently it was a teacher work day or something along those lines, and the sign applies then, even if there is probably no evident way to tell that it is in effect, short of just calling the school and asking.

edit: Although if the only signs were for 2 hour parking and no parking on school days, I don't see what the officer's comment about a loading zone has to do with anything. Check the ticket and see exactly what the infraction cited is. I once got a ticket for parking in a "No Standing" area, and I got it thrown out because I was actually in a "No Stopping" area. I just took a picture of my car directly below the "No Stopping" sign, and submitted it electronically with my online dispute, saying I was cited for the wrong infraction.

Kinda silly if you think about it since I was basically admitting to breaking a rule, just not the one I was charged with, but hey, it got thrown out.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 602 times
A house with 2 driveways only uses 1 of them daily. The owner of the house allowed parking on the unused driveway. I received a ticket on the unused driveway. What are my options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City