Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,511 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So recently I parked my car near Canal st. in Chinatown and apparently was given a "parking ticket". Basically what happened was that I paid for the meter for the time I had to go take care of some business while my wife and daughter were waiting in the car. When the traffic cop came by while I was away and looked at my ticket he noted that it had expired. My wife didn't know so she told the cop that she's pay for more time now, and the cop okayed it without giving us any ticket on that day. Today I checked my license plate online and found out that that cop gave us a parking ticket $65 that day!! What an @ss!!!

Is there anyway I can fight this? How could they do that? So sad..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,821,119 times
You would have plead not guilty and to go to the hearing. It's probably not worth the effort.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,179 times
i WOULD LIKE TO RUN MY LICENSE PLATE TO SEE IF there are any outstanding tickets issued in brooklyn. Does anyone know or have a link I can use to accomplish this goal?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM

439 posts, read 897,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamartin View Post
i WOULD LIKE TO RUN MY LICENSE PLATE TO SEE IF there are any outstanding tickets issued in brooklyn. Does anyone know or have a link I can use to accomplish this goal?
Me too. I've never even thought about or even knew you could check online to see if your car got tickets. Is this fairly new?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,168,632 times
NYC Serv - New York City On-Line Payment Services

click "go" next to parking

Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,250,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellium View Post
I parked my car near Canal st. ... was given a "parking ticket". ...I paid for the meter ... traffic cop came by while I was away and looked at my ticket he noted that it had expired. My wife didn't know so she told the cop that she's pay for more time now, and the cop okayed it
Did you keep the receipts for both time periods? Was the citation issued during the gap, or after your wife paid? I don't think the traffic agent can backdate the citation. If you want, you can fight the ticket:
Dispute a Parking Violation
NYC Serv - New York City On-Line Payment Services
Request a Hearing-by-Mail
Request an In-Person Hearing
Somehow, a neighbor fought a ticket via telephone, and told me she was offered a lesser fine.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
You parked and overstayed what you had paid for. The cop gave you a fine for the infraction.

What is there to fight? What could you POSSIBLY tell a judge that would sway him?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM

5,541 posts, read 7,135,681 times
Good luck going down to that court house in Queens and talking with those charming officers.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,913,597 times
Something similar happened to me a few months ago.

I was wating for somebody in downtown Brooklyn. I saw an available space and took it. I got out of my car, took a few steps toward the muni-meter, and right away I got a call from the person I was waiting for.
I'm by nature absent-minded, so half way through the conversation I see this traffic cop scanning my registration. I quickly tell the other person I needed to hang-up, I rush toward the cop and tell him that I was about to buy some time, to which he replies; "sorry, but once the registration is scanned I have to issue the ticket" needless is to say that I was royaly pissed at myself and to a lesser extent with the cop for not giving me a break.
In the end, I had to pay a $35 ticket for not displaying a receipt.
These fines are what I like to call "stupid tax".
It's an avoidable tax on stupid behavior that we all engage from time to time.

Just make sure, you don't over tax yourself in the future.

Last edited by likeminas; 07-03-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City