Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM

110 posts, read 309,257 times

Advertisements

How will the murder of a 20 yr old killed in a Ft. Greene beauty salon impact the gentrifying nabe of Ft. Greene. Check this out:

KILLERS CHASE VICTIM THROUGH BROOKLYN BEAUTY SALON - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,267,080 times
I don't think it will have an effect. Honestly a lot of people don't even follow the news.

This murder was another one of those if you look for trouble it finds you type murders which make up the bulk of the homicide numbers in this city. This guy from the looks of it was up to no good. Granted innocent bystanders did get shot, that if anything people should be more afraid of not so much the murder itself.

Now that we are on the topic, does anyone know what the protocol is supposed to be for an off-duty cop? Because according to what I read this morning in the paper, one of the bystanders was an off-duty cop and she supposedly hid in a room with everyone else when this whole thing went down. I thought, maybe I'm wrong, that off-duty cops were supposed to carry and be ready in case something pops off. Maybe that's what she was doing but the paper made it seem like she was just hiding there.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,393,987 times
Why would this do anything to the REVITALIZATION of this community? It is not a perfect community, and neither is NYC, or anywhere. Murders happen in this city in EVERY neighborhood, yet it is not stopping people from living, investing, etc. Your question is a nonissue.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 PM

Cops hold a position of public "trust" meaning that they have a duty, which is to protect and serve citizens even if it means putting their own life on the line. That's what police officers are supposed to do. She should have had her weapon, since she was issued one, especially hanging in potenially unsafe beauty salons. She could have at least taken cover, contacted on-duty officers while the crime was in progress and then shot back or chased the assailants. She just ran and hid like everybody else.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Potentially unsafe beauty salons? Did I read that right? In that case, put on the list of Potentially unsafe establishments: restaurants, bars, work, government agencies, and hotdog carts.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM

You never can tell with these transplants. They come on here and ask if the UES or UWS is safe, even after being there and nothing happened. It seems like they would hear about this and say "OH NO, I'm not moving out there." That could in some way impact things. However, I am aware that not ALL people don't follow the news, or could care less even if they do. I was just curious.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Well a lot of shady types walk in/out of salons and barber shops. They are often hang-outs. So I kinda see what Gardier is saying.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Potentially unsafe beauty salons? Did I read that right? In that case, put on the list of Potentially unsafe establishments: restaurants, bars, work, government agencies, and hotdog carts.
Hey, it was unsafe THAT day, so it had the potential.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Have you ever been to the DMV? Rode any public transit? Been to the mailroom of your building/office? Ridden in a cab? Eaten a hotdog from a streetvendor? Been to the Post Office? They are all filled with shady people and can easily be put under the "Potentially Unsafe" category. The assertion that beauty salons are potentially unsafe is hogwash...can someone provide how many shooting occured in beauty salons as compared to other places? I suspect beauty salons are WAY down on the list of places where people are shot or are LIKELY to get shot.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Have you ever been to the DMV? Rode any public transit? Been to the mailroom of your building/office? Ridden in a cab? Eaten a hotdog from a streetvendor? Been to the Post Office? They are all filled with shady people and can easily be put under the "Potentially Unsafe" category. The assertion that beauty salons are potentially unsafe is hogwash...can someone provide how many shooting occured in beauty salons as compared to other places? I suspect beauty salons are WAY down on the list of places where people are shot or are LIKELY to get shot.
point taken. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City