Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM

110 posts, read 309,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well a lot of shady types walk in/out of salons and barber shops. They are often hang-outs. So I kinda see what Gardier is saying.
Once again, you see my point. Why do some people have to act like little difficult....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Just to educate some people about the street, lots of beauty salons & barber shops are cover-ups. Some are used to launder money. Dope dealers may open a barber shop or beauty salon in order to legitamize their finances, and cover up the fact that they are shady criminals. Has anyone ever heard of the term "gate." A "weed gate" may be a store-front establishment with the owner or the owners friends selling weed out of the store to customers. There are "gates" all around the city, and those establishments are potentially unsafe.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,828 times
Is there a gang war going on between hipsters and latin kings or something?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,629 times
I don't believe police are required by law to assist you, even if they are on duty... at the very least, they are not culpable for failure to assist.

Homicides happen even in traditionally "safe" neighborhoods (most, although not all, neighborhoods had at least one last year), so I doubt this event will affect Fort Greene much if at all.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
There is no doubt that there are MANY fronts for drugs...and this is nothing new..as historically this has been going on for hundreds of years (whether it is drugs/alcohol/gambling/prostitution or whatever was banned at the time). My question though is stating that a beauty salon is a potentially dangerous place, when in fact I assert you are far less likely to be the victim of ANY crime at a beauty salon than just about any other place (like in the street/train etc!). A beauty salon is no more dangerous than any other establishment..however a beauty salon that is a front for drugs is! However, we have bars, restuarants, retail stores, and businesses and services of all kinds that are fronts for drugs.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
Hold up people, the beauty salon was not affiliated with the murder, the victim ran to the beauty salon for cover/ to hide from the gunmen. No?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

I have no idea Joe..but the poster is trying to assert that the off-duty cop should have brought her gun to the beauty salon because it is a "potentially dangerous place" ..which of course is a bunch of baloney. I suppose the poster also believes that hot dog carts, the post office, and ticketmaster are "potentially dangerous places" also.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have no idea Joe..but the poster is trying to assert that the off-duty cop should have brought her gun to the beauty salon because it is a "potentially dangerous place" ..which of course is a bunch of baloney. I suppose the poster also believes that hot dog carts, the post office, and ticketmaster are "potentially dangerous places" also.
I, as well as another poster stated that these establishments are known to have shady owners, customers, and loiterers. That alone can make a place potentially dangerous. I'm not saying, that particular salon was a front or was shady, but most of the salons and barber shops that I know of is operated and frequented by shady characters. I remember a few years back, a jealous boyfriend of a salon employee ran in there and killed his girlfriend in the salon. Just google "murder in beauty salon" and see how many hits you come up with from all over the country. This is nothing new.

I, as well as another poster wondered if the cop could have done more to stop the crime, or at least catch the bad guys. IMO off duty cops should always be strapped, so they can possibly avoid situations like this. If she did have her gun, why did she run and hide like everyone else. Cops can shoot people in the back, stick foreign objects up peoples anus, why can't they step up in a spur of the moment situation where there is no backup, just them against the bad guys.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
Back to the topic, I don't think that this incident will effect the gentrification of Fort Green. Yuppies will get to brag about how they are "roughing it in Brooklyn." It'll give there yuppie paradise some street cred.
They will brag about how risky it is getting your hair done on Fulton St. cuz "you know all these beauty salons are drug dealing cover ups."

Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Gardier...you are talking about two different things here. I agree..maybe the cop SHOULD have done more..that's not my issue with you. My issue is, you believe beauty salons are a "potentially dangerous place" based on the number of "shady" characters that enter/exit. However, by your logic, every trainstation, the DMV, every fast food joint, 99 cent store, C-Town/Fine Fare/etc, post office, pizzaria, etc are all "potentiall dangerous spots" as they all have shady characters going in and out! What's my point...according to you cops should realize how "potentially dangerous a place" beauty salons are but none of the others I have listed (and not listed)? And you base this on the number of "shady" people going in and out? I suspect if I saw you going into the barber shop I would qualify you as a "shady" type also. Please provide the number of shooting/murders/stabbings and other crimes that have occured in beauty salons as compared to every other place...and then we can FACTUALLY know whether you are correct or not. I suspect you are WAY OFF BASE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City