Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
That doesn't invalidate his comment. There's no end to to the amount of personal freedoms that can be infringed upon using the same basic argument. And if we're going to look at it in cold economic terms then you kind of have to balance the costs of care versus the savings when many of these people die prematurely.
But these people DON'T necessarily die prematurely - AND of many tens of thousands of dollars per person are expended on their medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I'm a she, but no matter...

If we were truly concerned about all of the cheap unhealthy calories, we would change U.S. ag policy to subsidize fresh fruits and vegetables instead of the cheap carbs that have become the basis for the epidemic of poor health in poor communities.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
i noticed this....i went to IHOP and my breakfast sampler was 1020 calories...its kinda interesting seeing the calorie counts on your menu now.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
I think it's a fairly good idea. People don't actually realize what they're eating. This law doesn't stop anyone from eating what they want--but it does provide them with the information they need if they want to make healthy choices.

I think starting with chains (which use standard recipes and in many cases are required to calculate calories, just not put them on their menus) is the only reasonable path. Individual restaurants don't have the capacity to do this at this point.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times
I saw calorie counts on the Applebee's menu in Queens Center, and my girlfriend and I made it into a game with who could out-calorie the other.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Its required for packaged food, so why not in a chain. These chains have probably already analyzed their food and its an immaterial part of their budget, so why not give us the information. We can decide to use the info to our advantage or not. Its up to us. No one said we cant eat a 1050 calorie breakfast, but at least we'll understand why we're overweight.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i noticed this....i went to IHOP and my breakfast sampler was 1020 calories...its kinda interesting seeing the calorie counts on your menu now.
Yes,, were you along..
But remember if you order the sampler and eating all along then yes you are eating 1020 calories...
But the problem is that calories is not the key...
This is old theory... old thinking...
I eat about 5,000 calories and actually lose weight... Is all about the carbs, and the GI...

Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I don't have a problem with it. But honestly I don't think most people really care. I'm a little more diet conscious than most so it might stop me here and there from getting something. But If I really want to eat something, I'm gonna get it more often than not. The other day I had a craving for a Dunkin Donuts crossanwich and I was taken aback by the calorie figure on one of those things, it stopped me for a second, but I still ended up getting it, lol.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Yes,, were you along..
But remember if you order the sampler and eating all along then yes you are eating 1020 calories...
But the problem is that calories is not the key...
This is old theory... old thinking...
I eat about 5,000 calories and actually lose weight... Is all about the carbs, and the GI...
Agreed. Calories are just part of the equation. Although people should be aware of it, they actually need to be more worried about stuff like carbs, sodium, cholesterol, bad fats, etc.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:01 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Agreed. Calories are just part of the equation. Although people should be aware of it, they actually need to be more worried about stuff like carbs, sodium, cholesterol, bad fats, etc.
Yeap...
This all started back in the 60's when the government started to say that fat was bad and you should eat more carbs and you would lose weight..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City