Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM

273 posts, read 672,615 times

Advertisements

Per Astorian, I want to emphasize, despite what crime there was Astoria was considered safe compared to the majority of areas in NYC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I would say say Astoria is the safest urban neighborhood in queens. yeah neighborhoods like Whitestone, Malba, Douglaston, forest hill gardens, are probably safer, but those are suburban neighborhoods.
I think the stats for the 114th precinct would disagree. Nevertheless, Astoria is a safe neighborhood compared to most of the Bronx and Brooklyn, just not so much when only thinking of Queens.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think the stats for the 114th precinct would disagree. Nevertheless, Astoria is a safe neighborhood compared to most of the Bronx and Brooklyn, just not so much when only thinking of Queens.
Except the precinctt covers more than just Astoria and the statistics generalize all the area. Like, i would bet you the crime rate west of 21st is a lot higher than the other areas in Astoria because of the projects and the park. Plus, precinct are not divided by population. Perhaps with maybe the exception of the 109 precinct, which covers flushing, I don't see any other Queens percinct covering a larger population. With more people, you're gonna get more incidents.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Except the precinctt covers more than just Astoria and the statistics generalize all the area. Like, i would bet you the crime rate west of 21st is a lot higher than the other areas in Astoria because of the projects and the park. Plus, precinct are not divided by population. Perhaps with maybe the exception of the 109 precinct, which covers flushing, I don't see any other Queens percinct covering a larger population. With more people, you're gonna get more incidents.
All Queens precincts cover more than just one neighborhood. West of 21st would still be Astoria, so not sure why it would be excluded. It you take total population of the covered areas into consideration, still not sure Astoria would come out the safest. If you can find these type of figures by precinct without having to collate data from various sources, please share, I'd love to see them. I do find Astoria to be very safe, just not the safest non-suburban part of Queens.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
All Queens precincts cover more than just one neighborhood. West of 21st would still be Astoria, so not sure why it would be excluded. It you take total population of the covered areas into consideration, still not sure Astoria would come out the safest. If you can find these type of figures by precinct without having to collate data from various sources, please share, I'd love to see them. I do find Astoria to be very safe, just not the safest non-suburban part of Queens.
Because astoria's population is concentrated east of 21 street, yet more more incidents probably occur west of 21st. It would be like saying the overall crime statistics for Queens should be used to determined how safe Douglaston is.

As far population goes, Astoria alone has a population of almost 160,000. Woodside, Elmhurst, sunnyside, rego park park, forest hills, all have populations under 100,000. The first three all have populations less than 50,000. Can you now see why precinct data favors precincts with lower populations (among good neighborhoods, at least, bad neighborhoods are a different story.)

Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Because astoria's population is concentrated east of 21 street, yet more more incidents probably occur west of 21st. It would be like saying the overall crime statistics for Queens should be used to determined how safe Douglaston is.

As far population goes, Astoria alone has a population of almost 160,000. Woodside, Elmhurst, sunnyside, rego park park, forest hills, all have populations under 100,000. The first three all have populations less than 50,000. Can you now see why precinct data favors precincts with lower populations (among good neighborhoods, at least, bad neighborhoods are a different story.)
That 160,000 is spread out over an area probably as large as Woodside, Elmhurst and Sunnyside combined. There is no way that Elmhurst has less than 50,000 people. Compare the population of the 114th precinct to that of the 104th, which has a population of ~170,000. Than check out the crime stats.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
That 160,000 is spread out over an area probably as large as Woodside, Elmhurst and Sunnyside combined. There is no way that Elmhurst has less than 50,000 people. Compare the population of the 114th precinct to that of the 104th, which has a population of ~170,000. Than check out the crime stats.
I meant east elmhurst, which has fewer than 30,000. Elmhurst has 90,000.

Like I said, 114th is made of more than just Astoria. There's part of LIC, sunnyside and woodside that make up the 114th. When accounted for, the 114th is geographically smaller than the 104th but its population is also much larger.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I meant east elmhurst, which has fewer than 30,000. Elmhurst has 90,000.

Like I said, 114th is made of more than just Astoria. There's part of LIC, sunnyside and woodside that make up the 114th. When accounted for, the 114th is geographically smaller than the 104th but its population is also much larger.
The 114th covers only a small portion off LIC, none of Sunnyside, and barely any of Woodside. Its population isn't all that much larger than the 104th, nor is its geography that much smaller (the 104th has a lot of cemetery land which for obvious reasons should not be counted). Yet the 114th's crime is considerably higher.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM

169 posts, read 489,834 times
Born and raised in Astoria...from the 70's up intil the 90's with a brief stint in New Jersey...lol. I grew up off of 21st by the Boy's Club. Yes, that was a rougher area...my Dad actually lived in the Astoria Houses until he was 10..in 1960....and he said it was rough back then, too. My Dad's side is Italian, btw.

Anyways, it WAS a gritty neighborhood...but OH MY GOD....I canNOT imagine a better childhood!!! The thought of Astoria will always put a little tear in my eye...the old neighborhood..

Old 08-11-2016, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,213 times
Astoria has always been an interesting neighborhood! Don't know of Greek gangs later, but in the 1950s we had the Gents, Baldies, and a few others -- the fights actually originated between irish/Italian gangs fighting interloping Puerto Rican gangs that crossed over to us on the Triboro Bridge.

During this period we also had a few yrs of heroin traffic and other crimes. However, mostly the crimes in this area were alcohol-related, such as brawls (with bars on every corner), domestic violence, some family feuds from the "old country", and arson. it wasn't about guns in those days.

Astoria became famous via a series of Daily News columns written by Jimmy Breslin, who chronicled the escapades of young detective Roger Horan. Det. Horan was only 26 when he showed an outstanding capacity to rid the streets of Astoria (where he lived w/ his family) of serious crime. Horan used the side alley of the wonderful Modernage Restaurant on Steinway Street, probably the best neighborhood diner food ever, for conducting his line-ups of the young punks he'd round up. That always got coverage!

There's plenty the newer inhabitants of this town (not to be confused with Long Island City) wouldn't know, but the Greater Astoria Historical Society might be able to give some perspective. Our basic ethnic mix was majority Irish, Italian and Jewish, with the Greeks only coming in toward the 1960s. The majority were firmly middle class, with a mix of upper- and lower- middle income too. The stores on Steinway Street were of a higher caliber back then than they are today, and the streets were cleaner. This was an era when we actually had police patrols. Cops were free to break up young people congregating on corners after dark, ask for identification and proof of where they lived. Cops then knew the neighborhood, the families, and kept a good, protective eye on the people. If a kid seemed to be hanging around during the day, they'd inquire why he/she wasn't in school. Imagine that today?

There is lots to say about Astoria! Former Resident: Francine Gray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City