Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 26,085 times

Advertisements

I was very shocked to see what the real salaries were when I started applying for jobs in NYC.

The job that I will eventually get will be in the $40k to $50k range (that's with a Masters). I will be commuting from NJ for a while until I am settled into my job and want to eventually move into the city (because I know I will learn hate the commute).

My questions are:

1. Is this livable?
2. Will I be able to save any money for my future?
3. And with this salary will I be able to live with rents over $1000 and have a social life?

Also, if you work in the city and live in NJ, do you pay just city taxes or do you pay city and NY state taxes? I'm worried about how much is going to be taken out of my check.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:43 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,374,446 times
1. Yes
2. Probably not too much at first, but eventually you'll get a raise.
3. Rent over $1,000 probably not. A social life is what you make of it.

I'd suggest using one of the park and rides in Parsippany as a fairly cheap way of getting into the city.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,339,799 times
It depends on where you live

Take Washington Heights for example, you get big rooms for a relatively cheap price, and the amenities are also relatively cheaper than the more chic areas

I am from NJ so I can relate to you.

With Wash Hi you can save money and get a big room, instead of not saving money and living in a closet everywhere else

Wash Hi is also close to the GWB, so you can hop on a bus and go visit mom and pop in Parsippany

the area south of the Columbia Presbyterian is expecially nice, and lots of people in your position are slowly realizing this, and moving there

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
You ask if it's livable. There are eight million people living in New York City, so it must be possible to live here, even if you aren't a millionaire!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM

64 posts, read 143,615 times
I lived in NJ for a year immediately after grad school just to save cash..

But my salary was way more than that. Still...

I was spending about $300 for the monthly pass since I lived in Central NJ. But my rent was dirt cheap..$700 for a 1 bedroom in a family home. So yes you can live more fabolously and afford to spend more on digs at Bloomingdales and Macy's

Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 PM

198 posts, read 355,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndTheCity View Post
I lived in NJ for a year immediately after grad school just to save cash..

But my salary was way more than that. Still...

I was spending about $300 for the monthly pass since I lived in Central NJ. But my rent was dirt cheap..$700 for a 1 bedroom in a family home. So yes you can live more fabolously and afford to spend more on digs at Bloomingdales and Macy's
You're such a.........

Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 PM

901 posts, read 2,989,180 times
I think you're going to need to move to a borough or get a roomate. You can proabably find a studio for less than $1000 in brooklyn or queens. You can find a 1 bedroom for around that price on Staten Island. You can also look to live in Westchester, but the commute will cost more.

If you have no debt, student loans or ccs you, should should be able to save about $300- $400 a month, which is not too bad. Of course that depends also on how much you spend on benefits from your job. As far as a social life, you can always find cheap or even free things to do in NYC

Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
It depends on where you live

Take Washington Heights for example, you get big rooms for a relatively cheap price, and the amenities are also relatively cheaper than the more chic areas

I am from NJ so I can relate to you.

With Wash Hi you can save money and get a big room, instead of not saving money and living in a closet everywhere else

Wash Hi is also close to the GWB, so you can hop on a bus and go visit mom and pop in Parsippany

the area south of the Columbia Presbyterian is expecially nice, and lots of people in your position are slowly realizing this, and moving there
Yeah...Washington Heights is a great place. Ahh yes the Dominican ghetto.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,678,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah...Washington Heights is a great place. Ahh yes the Dominican ghetto.
When are you leaving your "Dominican ghetto," anyways? In a way I feel bad for you (and I'm not trying to be an ********, really) because I think living in a similar neighborhood to that has made you have some of the negative beliefs you have toward certain groups. You need to move somewhere nice as soon as you graduate school!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
When are you leaving your "Dominican ghetto," anyways? In a way I feel bad for you (and I'm not trying to be an ********, really) because I think living in a similar neighborhood to that has made you have some of the negative beliefs you have toward certain groups. You need to move somewhere nice as soon as you graduate school!
When I can. Meanwhile I have to make due with what I've got. Nobody who has an option should move to Washington Heights. There are nice areas but the overall neighborhood is really no different than the Bronx. I was on 185th and Audobon and for a second I tought I was 184th and Grand. If one must move to the Heights, they should move to the neighborhoods west of Broadway. But I've learned alot from my experiences and I wouldn't trade them for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: