Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 96,811 times

Advertisements

Hi All-

I expect to be taking a job in Manhattan in the next few weeks, and I had a few questions. Is there a tax benefit to living in NJ instead of NYC? Do residents of NJ still have to pay NYC income tax?

Of course, on my meager entry level salary (~35k) it may add up to peanuts, but better to be informed about my options than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
If you live in New Jersey but work in New York, you'll wind up paying a nonresident tax to New York. And that comes at a higher rate than the resident taxes paid by New Yorkers.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
^^^^ But you get a tax credit from NJ.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM

14 posts, read 52,083 times
As far as I understand, you only pay the city tax if you live in one of the boroughs. So if you live on Long Island or in New Jersey, you don't have to pay that. They make up for it with higher property taxes in those areas.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdartman View Post
As far as I understand, you only pay the city tax if you live in one of the boroughs. So if you live on Long Island or in New Jersey, you don't have to pay that. They make up for it with higher property taxes in those areas.
This is true. They eliminated the NYC "commuter tax" a few years ago. It used to be that anyone who worked in NYC had to pay NYC income tax. Now, if you live outside the 5 boros you don't.

The property taxes are higher outside the city but that would not affect you directly if you a renter (only indirectly in the form of higher rents passed on by landlords). But rents there are generally lower in Hoboken and Jersey City than in Manhattan and the parts of the outer boros closer to it anyway.

At $35K, living in NJ would save you about $77 a month in NYC income tax you won't have to pay. But you might give it right back if you need the PATH and the subway to get to work, since you'd have to pay for each separately-no free transfer. And it can be a royal pain to get back to NJ later in the evening or on the weekend. I'm not a huge PATH fan. You'll almost certainly spend more than $77 a month if you rely on NJ Transit and still have to take the subway from Penn Station to get to work.

At $35K I wouldn't worry all that much about the NYC income tax, and certainly not if you don't work near a PATH station in NYC.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM

18 posts, read 96,811 times
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would make a huge difference once PATH and the subway charges were factored in. Queens it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: