Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 07:00 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Yeah, that may be, but the problem is the same as in NY. The very large, geographically, but not densely populated rural areas may be conservative, and vote conservative, but they're overridden by the smaller, but more densely populated urban areas, which vote liberal, and stick the entire state with liberal policies...........
It isn’t the same as NY though. Apart from the exceptional weather and exceptional topography, the QOL is much better (as long as you have the money). In NYC, even with money, the QOL blows. My brother lives in SD. I encounter less homeless in SD than I do in Brooklyn. How’s that even possible? Their “traffic” is a joke compared to NYC. RE is about as expensive as here but you get more for your dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No shot. I’d rather move back to NY (and may do that once the kids are grown). I love upstate NY, especially the Adirondacks. In New York my pension is tax free, my benefits are easy to use, and I am exempt from any gun laws that manage to survive all the current challenges.
I’d agree here. Especially the tax free pension. Your situation is fairly unique. I’d still
Look to spend as little legally possible in NY.

I also don’t get the recent hard on for FL from many since COVID. To me, It’s always seemed like NJ with palm trees and I’ve spent a considerable amount of time there as a non resident . Add the 100’s of thousand people of NYers who recently moved there and it’ll resemble NY soon enough.

Last edited by Esacni; 05-02-2023 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Have to agree. Driven all across the country and there are many great states. California is one of the better ones. Plenty of space to get away from the crowds and politics. Scenery is beautiful.
My brother moved there about 4 years ago. I don’t think he’s ever coming back unless he can’t find a job there (he’s in biotech). He’s not some leftie either. The people are definitely different than east coasters (that’s been the toughest part) but the quality of life is infinitely superior to NY.

The quality of life in NYC has become brutal. Of course, the 50% of welfare recipients /free loaders love it but anyone who pays any meaningful amount of taxes is getting ****ed six ways to Sunday.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 8,023 times
NY taxes will probably get worse once Title 42 is over next week. I heard there will be over 80,000 illegal migrants crossing into our country every week.

A lot of them want to be in NYC to receive free hotels and mopeds and to take more of the jobs New Yorkers should have.

My guess is that by the end of May the city will be bombarded with more illegals than any of us can even comprehend. It is going to be drastic.

For anyone that is complaining about crime right now, my guess is that these are the good times. Crime will explode once the cartels are fully operational in NYC.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:40 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,868,553 times
When taxation brings a lower quality of life people leave.
for better grounds but knowing where to go is important.

A number of dear family and friends ( RIP ) upped and left for the Gulf states
years ago to save a few bucks. Shocked by their short lived lives and long
lived boredom.
Ummmmm..............No thanks.

My following opinions,
For those still spearheading South do yourself a favor. Live close to a medical facility
and make the best of HVACing err..ummm hibernating your summers away. I hear
an indoor game of tag can get pretty old fast.

There is a remarkable difference
between instant coffee and the full bold flavor of 4 seasons.

Finally, would recommend snowboarding epics over snowbirding embolisms..

It is always better to whisper than to fart in your pants.....................

Old 05-06-2023, 05:51 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not a reason to stay in new york , but lots of reasons i wouldnt choose new jersey
Don't look to Pennsylvania either. When my very NON-rich mother died, we got socked with a high inheritance tax and mind boggling paperwork.
I was living in Jersey City at the time and it was one of the reasons for me to move back to New York.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:33 AM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times
pa is very confusing …they tax IRAS and 401ks when the money goes in , not when it comes out

Old 05-06-2023, 06:35 AM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times

as retirees here in ny we pay very little state and local income taxes …except for market gains everything is pretty much exempt

Old 05-07-2023, 07:06 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
Retiree also,
I file the NY State Income tax form just to get the $63 NYC School tax refundable credit.
Filing NYS-201 also makes it easier to file my Mitchell-Lama annual recertification.

And, back to PA inheritance tax. It is almost from the very first dollar, even for children.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:43 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Parts of Hylan Blvd in Staten Island, as of today, are on the second week of being shredded. If they follow the inevitable NYC pattern I’ve seen play out numerous times on that street and others, it won’t see pavement for another few weeks, and paint for 2-3 weeks after that.
Update: Hylan Blvd is paved (not sure when they did it, I haven’t been back on that stretch since this post on 4/26) but still no paint. A three lane, major thoroughfare through the boro, packed with cars all day. No paint after having been ripped up over a month ago.

People willingly paying NYC taxes are suckers.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City