Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:20 AM

8,992 posts, read 4,868,509 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding me? omg. This is getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 08:57 PM

7,665 posts, read 4,405,084 times
Sorry New York! I have your cream cheese!

For Christmas, I ordered Zabar's bagels and cream cheese spreads shipped overnight to Virginia.

It's going to be a little bit of New York down south!

Old 12-22-2021, 09:19 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,310,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually people tended to spend only 40% of their stimulus checks on new items …30% was saved and 30% went to pay down old debt.. so 60% of the dough never went in to buying anything new.

overall ,out of all the stimulus money allocated for all the different reasons , 2 trillion of it still has not been given out

https://www.nber.org/digest/oct20/mo...r-applied-debt
I don't quite understand your point. So ONLY 40% of stimmies was spent directly on goods. How much money is that exactly? Individuals paying down debt leads to more consumption. Isn't that point self evident? Paying down debt frees up discretionary income which can then be saved or spent. What's the savings rate in the US? Every dollar of debt paid down, led to 85 cents in consumption.

Furthermore, just another story came out today that over $100bn of PPP loans were obtained fraudulently. These are probably the most egregious cases that the Feds have to own up to and prosecute.

What do you think people do with fraudulently obtained federal funds? They launder it. How is money laundered? By buying tangible assets.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:28 PM

12,801 posts, read 8,463,279 times
Quote:
actually people tended to spend only 40% of their stimulus checks on new items …30% was saved and 30% went to pay down old debt.. so 60% of the dough never went in to buying anything new.

overall ,out of all the stimulus money allocated for all the different reasons , 2 trillion of it still has not been given out

https://www.nber.org/digest/oct20/mo...r-applied-debt
More numbers being pulled from you know where... I don't buy it. I think you're describing the upper middle to upper class America. Those Americans did not spend their stimulus checks and either saved them or invested them. That's who the analysts talk about when they say that the consumer is flush with cash. However, the poor American is not flush with anything because they used their stimulus check to try to pay down debt, buy food, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Oh no

Juniors?? One of my favorites?

Ok I'm concerned now.

We're doomed.
LOL I remember years ago taking my mother out to Junior's during the holidays. It was easily one of the worst meals we've ever had and I felt bad about it, but that's where she wanted to go.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The free money made things worse. I remember going to Burlington Coat Factory in the high of the pandemic to buy socks. The store racks were EMPTY! I thought that they were going out of business. I asked the store clerk as I didn't see signs saying they were going out of business. She said people were buying up everything with their stimulus checks.

I was going to buy a new car. I bought my car 10 years ago and it needed some work that was costing $4000. When I enquired about the price of used cars and the shortage of available cars I was told that cars were flying off the shelves!! All this free money floating around.

Needless to say I negotiated a discount and fixed my car. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off. Everything is scarce or super expensive.
The car market is retarded now and it's mainly because there are plenty of retards fueling what's happening.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:38 AM

107,686 posts, read 110,430,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I don't quite understand your point. So ONLY 40% of stimmies was spent directly on goods. How much money is that exactly? Individuals paying down debt leads to more consumption. Isn't that point self evident? Paying down debt frees up discretionary income which can then be saved or spent. What's the savings rate in the US? Every dollar of debt paid down, led to 85 cents in consumption.

Furthermore, just another story came out today that over $100bn of PPP loans were obtained fraudulently. These are probably the most egregious cases that the Feds have to own up to and prosecute.

What do you think people do with fraudulently obtained federal funds? They launder it. How is money laundered? By buying tangible assets.
savings rates were at one of the highest levels we ever saw .the money was not being spent …people were hoarding it.

Only more recently did those numbers start to come down

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...rsonal-savings

Old 12-23-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
savings rates were at one of the highest levels we ever saw .the money was not being spent …people were hoarding it.

Only more recently did those numbers start to come down

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...rsonal-savings
Highest levels = 15% annualized rate. Are you purposefully being obtuse?

Old 12-23-2021, 04:10 AM

107,686 posts, read 110,430,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Highest levels = 15% annualized rate. Are you purposefully being obtuse?
March 2021 hit over 25% after rising for months. ..

Then it finally started to come down after peaking

Old 12-23-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
March 2021 hit over 25% after rising for months. ..

Then it finally started to come down after peaking
Which means even at the peak, 75% was still not savings, correct?

What's your argument? That the Feds hand over what amounts to (at least) 20% of GDP in hard cash and it has zero impact on the the economy?

Old 12-23-2021, 06:30 AM

34,172 posts, read 47,783,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LOL I remember years ago taking my mother out to Junior's during the holidays. It was easily one of the worst meals we've ever had and I felt bad about it, but that's where she wanted to go.
I've only eaten at the actual restaurant once. What did you eat there?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: