Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,768 times

Advertisements

[quote=UpstaterInBklyn;3818246]OK - Lemme see if I got this straight...

I'll help you out:

Any white person who went to college and works in a professional job is a Yuppie.

No.

That must mean my friend who grew up in Princeton, has an MBA from NYU, lives in a brand-new condo on the UES and wears Armani is NOT a Yuppie because he is Chinese-American.

Yuppie. Race is irrelevant.

Hmm... how about my friend from New Jersey who is an educated and very highly paid computer programmer who loves fine dining and expensive clothes. Oops, he's a black guy from Jamaica (the Caribbean one, not the one in Queens), so he doesn't count either.

Probably grew up in the "nicer" areas of Jamaica. Yuppie.

However, I have another friend, who is white and has lived his whole life in Sheepshead Bay, he must be a yuppie because he is a college graduate and a well-paid retail consultant working in Manhattan. He loves Belgian beer too. Oh, wait, he's "Real New Yorker" with a real Brooklyn accent so he gets a pass, I guess.

True. "Real New Yorker" is the correct term. Living in an urban area, especially the same Brooklyn area all his life automatically disqualifies him as a yuppie. The perjorative term, "bridge & tunnel", is also correct.

I guess I need to look at myself... Oh no! I'm white, I graduated from college, and my parents paid for it, with their cushy jobs as a truck driver and a secretary. Oh, no... I work in a professional job, and am relatively well paid for it. I'm must be a Yuppie! I even have a 401(k). That means I have to get rid of my jeans from Target and get to J Crew ASAP. Then I need to get that Budweiser out of the fridge and replace it with a fine Pinot Noir. Damn, no wings and hockey this weekend, I've gotta go to Masa for sushi... but I don't really like sushi... but I have to... since I'm a Yuppie

Target jeans? No, no, no! Not a yuppie! Just a badly dressed person.

Also, beer and buffalo-wing stained hockey jersey means you're probably a male. Unfamiliarity with wine, foreign cheeses, and fancy restaurants (the holy trilogy of chick food/bait) means you're single.

Is anyone beginning to see how ridiculous these characterizations are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
Target jeans? No, no, no! Not a yuppie! Just a badly dressed person.

Also, beer and buffalo-wing stained hockey jersey means you're probably a male. Unfamiliarity with wine, foreign cheeses, and fancy restaurants (the holy trilogy of chick food/bait) means you're single.

lol...so if you buy your jeans at Target you have poor taste in clothes but, if you buy them at Jcrew or Banana you are a yuppie

and a male that understands "chick food" is a yuppie lol

Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Wrong on all counts - except for the fact that I'm male - which was pretty obvious. I am quite fond of fine dining and like foreign cheeses, especially a good sheep's milk feta. I also know more than the average person about wine ... and I'm not single. In fact, my wife and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary today over a nice dinner and some Pinot Grigio (I don't like Pinot Noir). Also, I don't own a hockey jersey - but I like to watch a little hockey during the playoffs - and I do like wings. However, at an early age, learned how to eat them without staining my clothes.

And yes... I do have a pair of jeans from Target that cost about $25 and a pair from Polo/Ralph Lauren that were $100. The Target ones fit better. My favorite pair, however is from LLBean, which seem to fit the best and only cost $35/pair.

But apparently I've been given a pass on the Yuppie stigma from Ace Rock, arbiter of yuppie-dom, so at least I've got that going for me.

.. and Ace - if wine, foreign cheeses and "fancy restaurants" are "chick bait" in your world -- you've really got to find some different women to hang out with. Good looks, good taste, and a high income work much better.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 05-20-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Good looks, good taste, and a high income work much better.
Looks like im **** outta luck All these years ive been taking girls out on mediocre looks and a thrifty budget.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,768 times
Quote:
.. and Ace - if wine, foreign cheeses and "fancy restaurants" are "chick bait" in your world -- you've really got to find some different women to hang out with. Good looks, good taste, and a high income work much better.
Good thing I fit your criteria, but you're still wrong.

Most Manhattan women I know could care less about "high income"; they either have their own, or already have a man with multiple commas in his bank account named Dad.

Loosen up them high-waisted L.L. Bean jeans a bit and pull 'em out your crack, will ya?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 PM

205 posts, read 507,760 times
Not really the job, college, etc. stuff that bothers me. Just some of the stank @ss, stuck up, arrogant people that come here and look down on u. Think there all cute prancing around manhattan.

Doesnt help Im in a construction field. I think people see the "dirty look" and just give me the attitude. Not all, but enough to notice.

eh....just venting.

And what happened to the Copacabana!!! damn it. I came back from the military and its gone!! Was it the yuppies that got rid of it!!.....lol. na im jokin.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Loosen up them high-waisted L.L. Bean jeans a bit and pull 'em out your crack, will ya?
The intelligence level of this thread is rapidly dropping.

I'm done.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 PM

205 posts, read 507,760 times
Quote:
The intelligence level of this thread is rapidly dropping.

I'm done.
Quote:
Good looks, good taste, and a high income work much better.
yep...yuppie. coming to a city near you to suck all the character and style out of it and leave it plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Looks like im **** outta luck All these years ive been taking girls out on mediocre looks and a thrifty budget.
LOL!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,258 times
A hipster often tends to sponge off of parents for money. Or has a trust fund. Often comes from such hardscrabble communities such as Shaker Heights, Wayzata, Shawnee Mission, Westport, Scardale, Roslyn, West Hartford...Often tries to be "real" by wearing Cat Diesel Power hats and drinking "prol" beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon. Lives in places like Brooklyn, where they can feel "real", while paying 1500-2000 a month for a 1BR apartment while doing "art" for a living....which often means they are unemployed and playing in the urban life.

A yuppie is equally annoying, but more often than not, they are employed. They used to drink Molson Golden in the 80's, Anchor Steam in the 90s, and now Stella in this millennium.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
A hipster often tends to sponge off of parents for money. Or has a trust fund. Often comes from such hardscrabble communities such as Shaker Heights, Wayzata, Shawnee Mission, Westport, Scardale, Roslyn, West Hartford...Often tries to be "real" by wearing Cat Diesel Power hats and drinking "prol" beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon. Lives in places like Brooklyn, where they can feel "real", while paying 1500-2000 a month for a 1BR apartment while doing "art" for a living....which often means they are unemployed and playing in the urban life.

A yuppie is equally annoying, but more often than not, they are employed. They used to drink Molson Golden in the 80's, Anchor Steam in the 90s, and now Stella in this millennium.
Damn.. what happened to the real people.. sometimes, I miss the way it was in the 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City