Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, the public does indeed get free help. Food stamps, Medicaid, unemployment, etc.

The MTA is made up of people. People go there to work and actually operate it. And they supper their families that way as well.
Shared responsibility and concern is something this country has been lacking.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:39 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
I just watched Murphy, the gov of NJ on a live youtube update. He says construction is an essential industry, and therefore workers keeps plugging away.

What are Cuomo's rules on that? Is construction still going in NYC?

Old 03-21-2020, 01:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Shared responsibility and concern is something this country has been lacking.
Indeed. But it is something people have been learning these days by force.

I think people deluded themselves into thinking only bad things happen to bad people. Quite clearly that’s not the case. A lot of good people are now facing economic ruin.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:19 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Staten Island and Queens may have a lower density but neither county is exactly rural. Staten Island and Queens residents may not live as density as people in Manhattan but they ride into Manhattan on a crowded ferry and take the subway. I agree about the Bronx it must be a rising number soon.

Semi-suburban mostly. But due to the lower average number of cases per square mile you have much less of a chance of coming into casual contact with an infected person in Queens or S.I.

In nearly all of S.I. and a lot of Queens 1 and 2-family homes dominate. The big apartment complexes in the other boroughs make it nearly impossible not to be in close proximity on the elevator, in the lobby, etc. Density is bad for your health it now seems. The old Italians and Jews figured this out when they started to leave the tenements of Manhattan for the outer boroughs. Not that this exodus accelerated after the 1918 flu outbreak.

Either testing in the Bronx is going slowly or the hospitals and other test locations up there are not reporting truthfully or correctly. This is not scientific but the Bronx population is roughly 55.45% of Brooklyn's population. Brooklyn has 1750 cases so the Bronx should have roughly 970 cases.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I just watched Murphy, the gov of NJ on a live youtube update. He says construction is an essential industry, and therefore workers keeps plugging away.

What are Cuomo's rules on that? Is construction still going in NYC?
Yes, it can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I just got back from my morning walk. I dont think people care or want to understand social distancing.
I had the opposite experience just now. For the most part, people are mostly just walking alone or in twos. (Unless there are multiple children involved.) People are giving each other space and being very courteous. The only place there tends to be crowding is in the food stores.

It was a beautiful day. Got in my 10K steps. Got a few things from the grocery store. People were friendly. Someone was playing the guitar and singing outside on their porch, which made everyone smile who walked by---something to break the monotony.

I cannot WAIT until I have my own backyard and front porch.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I find the data reported incomplete. They report the number of cases and deaths yet fail to report: recovered cases; number of persons hospitalized; number of mild cases; number of severe cases. So IMO their statistical data is incomplete and of little use.
The media is perpetuating fear but it's not bad to cause alarm because if not people would just ignore the calls to stay inside.

As long as you don't see people lining up outside of hospitals the number of people infected is not that important. Because over 80% of people usually recover at home in isolation and in one week they start getting better just like a regular cold.

Those 10% that do bad may need hospital visit and another 10% will need hospital stay and 1/2 of those may not make it.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:49 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...US37wH9YpFD4vU

MTA Local Bus Riders to Essentially Ride for Free Starting Monday

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...PeFG__HPJwQn9I

Coronavirus Cases in NY Grow; Cuomo Says 40 to 80% Will Be Infected

Governor Cuomo says there are now 10,356 new confirmed coronavirus cases in New York State, including 6,211 in New York City.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The media is perpetuating fear but it's not bad to cause alarm because if not people would just ignore the calls to stay inside.

As long as you don't see people lining up outside of hospitals the number of people infected is not that important. Because over 80% of people usually recover at home in isolation and in one week they start getting better just like a regular cold.

Those 10% that do bad may need hospital visit and another 10% will need hospital stay and 1/2 of those may not make it.
Over 800 people died in Italy in one day. Those are very real numbers. Are you going to be so dismissive if a friend or family member dies?

The problem is the sheer numbers of people have to be hospitalized means as hospitals run out of space, sick people with or without the virus may not get the medical card they need and they will die.

NYC is not even a week away from Italy or Spain.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Over 800 people died in Italy in one day. Those are very real numbers. Are you going to be so dismissive if a friend or family member dies?

The problem is the sheer numbers of people have to be hospitalized means as hospitals run out of space, sick people with or without the virus may not get the medical card they need and they will die.

NYC is not even a week away from Italy or Spain.
You can use simple exponential math and see what the rates will be. Nyc next week will have 5 digit infection numbers with a hundred or more dead. Also nyc is and NYS is not reporting recovered numbers.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:10 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
I’m so bored I don’t know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.