Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 10:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I wash my hands vigorously multiple times a day and still got Flu earlier this month.

Washing your hands is not going to prevent exposure from viral particles floating in the air.
Did someone sneeze or cough on/near you? Because germs don’t just float in the air indefinitely. Also you’d be surprised just how many times even the most careful hand washers touch their face, nose and eyes after touching a contaminated surface.

How many times have you put your phone down on a surface (like a table in a store) then picked it up, used it, then a few minutes later rubbed your nose? In fact how many times have you even thought to disinfect your phone? It’s so second nature to touch our face that we don’t even notice we’re doing it. In fact just a few minutes ago I took a trip to the grocery store and after opening the door to my building I subconsciously scratched my nose because it was itching then immediately thought “f***!!” This is the habit that I have to break. If the outbreak gets bad enough here I may start wearing rubber gloves only because it will make me more self conscious of NOT touching my face with them on.

I’m not that concerned with this virus though, the overall mortality rate is very low - and from what I’ve read might actually be even lower because there are likely mild cases that are going unnoticed. What I am concerned with is that my brother has bad asthma and my mom is in remission from cancer. THESE are the people that need to be most careful and that I have to be careful around and not transmit if the virus is being circulated with a long incubation period.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Was just arguing with some ppl in other Coronavirus threads that think we are all gonna get the virus eventually. Well that maybe a good thing. We all get the flu once in awhile. The healthy people make it out in 2 weeks and the weak go into the hospitals. That's how it's always been. You eat well and stay healthy.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
For the short memory folks yet again...

Old 02-29-2020, 11:36 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
For the short memory folks yet again...

2016; Chump'll have his finger on the button ties with the fake news thing.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:03 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Borrowing a line from someone here...

When 10,000 people in the US die from the Coronavirus, call me. Until then, i'm not worried.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Borrowing a line from someone here...

When 10,000 people in the US die from the Coronavirus, call me. Until then, i'm not worried.
No problem, we will make the call. Phone number ??

Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Definitely don't listen to CDC.

definitely run and get your information from some person on YouTube
The CDC hasn't even kept up with testing compared to other countries. U.S. Government sources are just the tip of the iceberg. Laowhy86 has boots on the ground in Wuhan. Meanwhile the Chinese government is twiddling their thumbs on cooperating with our epidemiologists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Did someone sneeze or cough on/near you? Because germs don’t just float in the air indefinitely. Also you’d be surprised just how many times even the most careful hand washers touch their face, nose and eyes after touching a contaminated surface.

How many times have you put your phone down on a surface (like a table in a store) then picked it up, used it, then a few minutes later rubbed your nose? In fact how many times have you even thought to disinfect your phone? It’s so second nature to touch our face that we don’t even notice we’re doing it. In fact just a few minutes ago I took a trip to the grocery store and after opening the door to my building I subconsciously scratched my nose because it was itching then immediately thought “f***!!” This is the habit that I have to break. If the outbreak gets bad enough here I may start wearing rubber gloves only because it will make me more self conscious of NOT touching my face with them on.

I’m not that concerned with this virus though, the overall mortality rate is very low - and from what I’ve read might actually be even lower because there are likely mild cases that are going unnoticed. What I am concerned with is that my brother has bad asthma and my mom is in remission from cancer. THESE are the people that need to be most careful and that I have to be careful around and not transmit if the virus is being circulated with a long incubation period.
We are in NYC. Nobody has to cough or sneeze. In a closed subway train with 100 other people. Germs spread into the air just when people exhale. No big exaggerated sneeze required.

As far as who needs to be careful it is a false sense of security that only people with chronic conditions need to be careful. Swine Flu knocked ordinary healthy people off their feet. People who had zero prior health issues have already died from this thing. The general policy needs to be vigilance.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:24 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
People do not wash their hands properly. I repeat people DO NOT WASH THEIR HANDS PROPERLY. Add to that they are constantly touching their face, eyes, mouths with unclean hands. Pay attention to the amount of times you see people rubbing their eyes, mouths etc, eating without washing hands beforehand...and the ever disgusting: only doing a “water rinse” after taking a s***.

There is a correct way to wash your hands and everyone should be doing it, Coronavirus or not.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when...ndwashing.html

Keep this in mind and you’ll reduce your risk greatly of getting sick from it and/or many viruses.

Other than that, I’ve stocked up on hand sanitizer because- well - PEOPLE DONT WASH THEIR HANDS PROPERLY.
When you wash you hands in a public place, they often have automatic faucets and the water only runs for 5 seconds or so. You have to keep pressing the button to make it run longer. I press it a good number of times but I often wonder how well my hands actually got cleaned. I image most only do once or twice and call it a day. But yes I agree people dont properly wash their hands.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I'm curious if you went shopping today, did you find it to be extra crowded? I heard in my neighborhood that the lines are like right before a storm. I didn't go but I heard it's like this elsewhere in the country as well.

Guess the Japanese idea of panic buying toilet paper has spread to the US.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,963,078 times
The way how trump and his office respond to this C virus threat will probably cost him the presidency if the outbreak gets out of control, unfortunately.

He has been doing a great job leading the country to this point but his defiant attitude towards the ongoing world wide outbreak exposed his archellies heel due to his lack of understanding of medical and public health issues.

Unlike other political hoaxes like global warming that are hard to prove or disprove within a millennium or longer, virus outbreak is acute and can spread like wildfire that requires proactive measures to kill it in the bud.

Instead of preparing Americans for the possible outbreak, his team downplayed the situation. You can imagine how mad his supporters will be when their relatives or loved ones are savaged by this virus when the epidemic unfolds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City