Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:46 AM

8,421 posts, read 4,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorfo View Post
This resonates with me:

"you can tell that I am really irked by your idiotic statement that "the USA acted as my NYCHA, when my country could not support me" - when NO COUNTRY EVER SUPPORTED ME"

In many ways I am similar to Eleanor Rigby: female, similar age, legal immigrant, came with nothing... My country was also in great turmoil, guerrilla warfare going on. I came by applying to a PhD program and getting a teaching assistantship to earn my keep. Some differences are that I am a brown Latin American and that my career is in Tech.

I started out living in NJ in a house share with roommates which numbered between 5 and 12, one bathroom. My stipend was a few hundred dollars and in exchange I had to teach two computer science courses a semester, including summers. I taught at a Master's level and they kept changing these courses on me so I had to spend numerous hours preparing new course material, holding office hours, grading papers and other assignments, actually teaching... And watching my students get entry level jobs where they made, oh, about 8 - 10 times as much as I lived on. Until I too was able to graduate, join the workforce, get a green card. Yay!

NEVER was I a burden to anyone, not even slightly, and it *does* feel insulting, or at least misplaced to hear that the US was my NYCHA. (or elnrgby's)

Lagomorfo, your personal history and mine really do seem to be very similar, at least the F-1 visa part. Also, you are a rare person (in addition to OyCrumbler) that figured out where I got my username for this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
NYCHA and all other public services in the city are funded by tax money. If the city expropriates property of the only real taxpayers (aka luxury housing) to turn it over to NYCHA, who will pay taxes that are funding NYCHA?
The city would want the rents that those people are paying.

Of course I’m sure they would wait to see if Berlin is actually able to get away this and if it works. Notice how after London successfully instituted congestion pricing NY continued to debate it until they passed it.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorfo View Post
This resonates with me:

"you can tell that I am really irked by your idiotic statement that "the USA acted as my NYCHA, when my country could not support me" - when NO COUNTRY EVER SUPPORTED ME"

In many ways I am similar to Eleanor Rigby: female, similar age, legal immigrant, came with nothing... My country was also in great turmoil, guerrilla warfare going on. I came by applying to a PhD program and getting a teaching assistantship to earn my keep. Some differences are that I am a brown Latin American and that my career is in Tech.

I started out living in NJ in a house share with roommates which numbered between 5 and 12, one bathroom. My stipend was a few hundred dollars and in exchange I had to teach two computer science courses a semester, including summers. I taught at a Master's level and they kept changing these courses on me so I had to spend numerous hours preparing new course material, holding office hours, grading papers and other assignments, actually teaching... And watching my students get entry level jobs where they made, oh, about 8 - 10 times as much as I lived on. Until I too was able to graduate, join the workforce, get a green card. Yay!

NEVER was I a burden to anyone, not even slightly, and it *does* feel insulting, or at least misplaced to hear that the US was my NYCHA. (or elnrgby's)
It sounds rough. I’m glad you worked it out.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It sounds rough. I’m glad you worked it out.

It sounds normal (ie, it is what all graduate students do; I didn't even mention teaching lab courses in addition to doing research because teaching was a regular part of getting a PhD)... except that a foreign grad student MUST get that PhD once she is enrolled in the program. Being kicked out, or dropping out voluntarily, of the PhD program to get a "real" job that pays 8-10x the grad student stipend is an option only for an American grad student. For a foreigner, the only alternative to completing that PhD is going back home... eg, going back into a civil war. Part of the reason why the US postgraduate programs are full of foreign students.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
It sounds normal (ie, it is what all graduate students do; I didn't even mention teaching lab courses in addition to doing research because teaching was a regular part of getting a PhD)... except that a foreign grad student MUST get that PhD once she is enrolled in the program. Being kicked out, or dropping out voluntarily, of the PhD program to get a "real" job that pays 8-10x the grad student stipend is an option only for an American grad student. For a foreigner, the only alternative to completing that PhD is going back home... eg, going back into a civil war. Part of the reason why the US postgraduate programs are full of foreign students.
When I was a graduate student at Columbia lived in a room in an apartment with four roommates. I lived off food at cheap ethnic restaurants. Before I started my masters program at Columbia I taught ESL in Flushing and lived off cheap Chinese food. Immigrants both legal and illegal made New York livable for me when I was a teacher and when I was a grad student.

So I will never complain about immigrants. And I am an immigrant myself in Spain.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,567,899 times
Quote:
Lagomorfo, your personal history and mine really do seem to be very similar, at least the F-1 visa part. Also, you are a rare person (in addition to OyCrumbler) that figured out where I got my username for this forum!
oh good god, everyone knows where you got your user name.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times
Quote:
Please stop implicating "people of color" in anything and everything. I was not talking about any color, but about irresponsible behavior of turfing one's kids to taxpayers. Incidence of having kids that parents cannot/do not want to raise is rampant among people of white color in West Virginia too, who are not stopped and frisked for anything.

I keep still ocassionally reading this forum because I will need to make the final decision over the next few years whether I do or don't want to live in NYC... the negative arguments are growing stronger every day...

I second that............

Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 PM

62 posts, read 35,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
When I was a graduate student at Columbia lived in a room in an apartment with four roommates. I lived off food at cheap ethnic restaurants. Before I started my masters program at Columbia I taught ESL in Flushing and lived off cheap Chinese food. Immigrants both legal and illegal made New York livable for me when I was a teacher and when I was a grad student.

So I will never complain about immigrants. And I am an immigrant myself in Spain.

I dont understand why some people dont like them. They mind their own business and dont bother anyone. They always pay rent on time and never given me a single problem. And I've been renting to them for decades.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
The gist: \People with no money need to be trained how to manage their money.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The gist: \People with no money need to be trained how to manage their money.

Which is what I proposed to start with. Affluent teenagers typically use contraception religiously. If an affluent teenager feels that she needs a small, dependent creature to make herself feel important, she'll typically receive a gift of a puppy (remember Paris Hilton's chihahua Tinkerbell?). Poor teenagers should receive these same instruments of money management that the affluent ones use. And then poor teenagers will grow up into less dependent, or maybe (to Dem politicians' horror) independent, adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City