Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Really??? How about a decent public education that will give them the skills they need to get a decent job so they aren't tempted to join a gang for money or safety because they know ultimately they will be able to get OUT.

Puppy is a lot of work and just another mouth to feed. I love dogs and have had one most of my life, but I don't live in a project and g-d willing, never will.
I think the education in most schools is adequate enough for those who are motivated and have family support. I know multiple teachers and administrators. While the resources in each school are not the same, there are resources available. However, rampant indiscipline, lack of intrest in their education and a lack of intrest and support in their home are what poses the greatest deterrent to students success.

I have a friend who went to school in EAST NY. Both of her parents were deceased. She lived with an older sister. She went on to attend CUNY hunter and earned her PHD from Carnegie Mellon in an engineering field.

Another is now a nursing practitioner. My cousin went to a 'bad' school in Hartford, CT she too has also earned her PHD and has a successful career.

Another family member hated school. But his mother ensured that he stayed out of the streets and remained respectful. Obtained and plumbing apprenticeship right out or high school and was employed by the Union before he turned 25. He also earns a decent salary.

Self accountability has to start somewhere.

Just because you are poor doesn't mean u should not have intrest in your education or the default status will be to join a gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Where in NYC can you point to neighborhoods with $20k houses?
I said detroit and Baltimore and used the word 'relocation' multiple times.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 AM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Places such as Baltimore and Detroit have entire neighborhoods with houses under $20k. Some as low as $1k. They already have the infrastructure and things like reliable enough public transportation.

Gov'ts (state, local and federal) can come together to provide standardized skills training.

Sell existing public housing in high value areas to private developers with the cavet that they donate to a pool to rehab these houses or rehab these houses to relocate prior public housing tenants to these low cost areas.

Insentivize companies with low to high skill requirement jobs to move to these areas.

Sell the houses to previous public housing tenants (who were able to secure a job in these relocated industries)
for a steal (eg less than $10k).

Give the remaining tenants in public housing who didn't relocate, the cost of whatever the houses in the new location is, with the understanding that they would never be provided with any future public housing or housing subsidy in the high expense cities.

If your mortgage is $300 for a much nicer home and u have a job paying $2000 or more monthly u have the chance to actually improve your circumstances and gain life skills.
Cities earn more revenue on the sale and subsequent building of regular housing/apartments. Also save in the massive yearly welfare payout.

Amazon and other factory type jobs will still have employees. Incentives provide will be much less.

People will actually be motivated to improve their lives.

What say u?
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/07...ng-containers/

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They know how to game the system. Running a cash business, paying no taxes, getting welfare and social services to pay for living expenses. A lot of illegals get the city to pay for their rent but they are actual co-owner of the building. Since the actual owner on paper is a relative of theirs and offers them a share on the property as long as they play along and get the city and state to pay for their rent with Section 8.

How great is that to own a house and have the city subsidize the rent while you live on your co-owned property. More reasons, illegals like being illegal with nothing to their name.

Immigrants are not all gaming the system.

There are numerous ways to earn an honest living if you so choose. I have said it numerous times here that many poor Americans are viewed as wealthy in other third world countries. First, high school is free! They even give u school bus transportation or bus pass. U get free meals!! And free books!! And computers! And air conditioned rooms! If that was our learning environment where many of my friends and family came from we would be astronauts lol.

You can get grants and scholarships to attend college. A friend of mine (18 years old) actually worked as a bar tender at a strip club in our country at nights while attending college during the day. We thought she was lazy always sleeping in class until we understood the magnitude of what she was dmgoing through to get her education. She is now a teacher in the UK.

U have a gov't who 'hates' you, who is willing to provide perfectly adequate housing for free or almost free! One can also obtain subsidies to buy food. Every month.

You can go to the hospital and be treated for free!!!

Where i am from and some of the places that I have traveled, NONE of this is an option.

We grew up poor. When my mom had no money to pay for transportation . I stayed home. If my classmates weren't willing to share their books I had to go the library after school and try to read what I could to stay on top of the required material. When my parent wasn't able to pay my school tuition (it was less than $30usd!) I was called out of class and sent home!!

Many times we literally had no electricity or running water. If u can't pay it will be disconnected. None of this grace period because u have a kid ETC.

The govt provided $0.0 in food subsidy. I won't tell you what it's like to literally go to bed hungry, wake up hungry and stil go to school hoping someone would share their lunch and u didn't want to miss out too much.

And I wasn't even the poorest of my friends lol.

One of my closest friend brought her entire panel to tears during her PHD interview. 2 actually got up and gave her a hug. We joked that if she had told them her entire story THEY would have needed theraphy.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:10 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's my point - the USA was created to make money. Thats it! Money only! Once slavery was abolished, henceforth came Ellis Island to replace the free labor! There is no coincidence therefore, that its less restrictive to come here - so that the USA could get cheap labor. It's all about money. To believe anything else shows a sever lack of knowledge on your part of this country's history.

The size of the properties are irrelevant. Don't tell me that you own three properties, and you don't consider that maximizing one's wealth, that's preposterous....for Christ sake, they're not even on the same coasts.....let's be brutally honest here, that's downright elite. The former NYCHA dwellers can relocate somewhere where they can afford to live, and manage their life with their own resources - like the rest of us.

It's easier to point a finger at a certain group of individuals, rather than questioning the system that clearly allows for these situations to be created and to fester! I've never seen you question the system, but then again, why would you? America has treated you well!

Seventh, if you intend to continue with this, please read this last version of my post. I went back a couple of times to correct typos, and every time ended up adding something...

Yes, the US imports cheaper labor (in my case a cheaper mental labor), but what is the problem with that if the cheap labor is WILLING to work for cheap reimbursement, and respectfully uphold the laws of the host country? The US obviously did import me for the reason of money, but I didn't move to the US for the reason of money - so, it was in fact a coincidence of different reasons, which worked out well together. You are arguing two entirely opposite things - that America has abused me (as a cheap labor akin to slavery), and that it has treated me well... make up your mind, both of your arguments cannot be true.

I absolutely do not consider owning three condos (none of which I am renting out, and only one of which I ever rented out) as maximizing wealth. Nobody who knows anything about maximizing wealth would do what I am doing to maximize wealth. The increase in value of the condo is greater than condo maintenance and taxes only for my primary home (ie, the condo in Boston), because I will be able to take a $250k tax exemption for the sale of primary home when I sell it. On both other properties, there will be a money loss - San Francisco appreciates more than I pay for its annual upkeep (but when I sell it, I will have to pay about 28% of any gain in federal and state taxes - so, at best I will about break even), while Parkchester, the Bronx hardly appreciates at all (the annual upkeep costs about $5,500, or about $50k over 10 years. But the condo has appreciated by only about $$30k over 10 years, on which I would pay around $10k tax. I do not expect to even break even with owning Parkchester, but it doesn't bother me because I certainly did not buy it to maximize wealth :-).

The only way to maximize wealth is to knowledgeably invest in business, which I am not doing because I do not have much knowledge or interest in it.

Okay, so let"s say my 300 sq ft in Cisco, 350 sq ft in Boston, and 415 sq ft in the Bronx are "elite" (). But I EARNED money to buy them, I exchanged my time/work/stress for that money. I can do anything I want with the money I earned. I chose to have small bases for travel on both coasts, rather than to have kids (partly because, by the time I had enough $ to buy secondary condos, I was already 48). I am not telling Bob Marley what to do with his money, he can have 30 kids with 135 women if he wants, and it is not any of my business, because he took care of all these kids with the money HE EARNED. I have no problem with that.

But oh yes, I am very much addressing a system. NYCHA is a system, it is not a specific group of individuals. NYCHA is a system that takes money from people who earn it (in exchange for their time/work/stress), and uses it to house people who do not earn money , ie, do not exchange their time/work/stress for money, but only have numerous kids that need housing (and many other things) which this type of "parent" automatically assumes will be provided for free by someone else. A far better, and fairer, system would be to provide people who do not earn money with effective implementation of contraception, or at least NOT to base increased welfare benefits (including larger free housing benefits) on increased number of children.

The best solution for NYCHA problems would be to (1) sell the properties to any interested private buyers for their market value, which is not high, but is certainly substantially higher than the absurd figure of $10k proposed by the OP, and then (2) to discontinue NYCHA. It has obviously been a well-meaning but failed experiment whose only result was creating skyscraper-sized nests of violent crime.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-30-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Immigrants are not all gaming the system.

There are numerous ways to earn an honest living if you so choose. I have said it numerous times here that many poor Americans are viewed as wealthy in other third world countries. First, high school is free! They even give u school bus transportation or bus pass. U get free meals!! And free books!! And computers! And air conditioned rooms! If that was our learning environment where many of my friends and family came from we would be astronauts lol.

You can get grants and scholarships to attend college. A friend of mine (18 years old) actually worked as a bar tender at a strip club in our country at nights while attending college during the day. We thought she was lazy always sleeping in class until we understood the magnitude of what she was dmgoing through to get her education. She is now a teacher in the UK.

U have a gov't who 'hates' you, who is willing to provide perfectly adequate housing for free or almost free! One can also obtain subsidies to buy food. Every month.

You can go to the hospital and be treated for free!!!

Where i am from and some of the places that I have traveled, NONE of this is an option.

We grew up poor. When my mom had no money to pay for transportation . I stayed home. If my classmates weren't willing to share their books I had to go the library after school and try to read what I could to stay on top of the required material. When my parent wasn't able to pay my school tuition (it was less than $30usd!) I was called out of class and sent home!!

Many times we literally had no electricity or running water. If u can't pay it will be disconnected. None of this grace period because u have a kid ETC.

The govt provided $0.0 in food subsidy. I won't tell you what it's like to literally go to bed hungry, wake up hungry and stil go to school hoping someone would share their lunch and u didn't want to miss out too much.

And I wasn't even the poorest of my friends lol.

One of my closest friend brought her entire panel to tears during her PHD interview. 2 actually got up and gave her a hug. We joked that if she had told them her entire story THEY would have needed theraphy.

Your last paragraph reminds me of the immigration judge crying while rendering my asylum verdict, after my asylum application had been "pending" in the immigration court system for about 20 years, throughout a bloodthirsty war in which I lost my home.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Seventh, if you intend to continue with this, please read this last version of my post. I went back a couple of times to correct typos, and every time ended up adding something...

Yes, the US imports cheaper labor (in my case a cheaper mental labor), but what is the problem with that if the cheap labor is WILLING to work for cheap reimbursement, and respectfully uphold the laws of the host country? The US obviously did import me for the reason of money, but I didn't move to the US for the reason of money - so, it was in fact a coincidence of different reasons, which worked out well together. You are arguing two entirely opposite things - that America has abused me (as a cheap labor akin to slavery), and that it has treated me well... make up your mind, both of your arguments cannot be true.
You just explained the American Dream. Start with nothing, end up with something. It is the dream that perpetuates millions to emigrate here. You could have chosen other places but you chose the USA in facts because it would be easy to gain citizenship and amass wealth. You've successfully done both, so I rest my case on that.

Quote:
I absolutely do not consider owning three condos (none of which I am renting out, and only one of which I ever rented out) as maximizing wealth. Nobody who knows anything about maximizing wealth would do what I am doing to maximize wealth. The increase in value of the condo is greater than condo maintenance and taxes only for my primary home (ie, the condo in Boston), because I will be able to take a $250k tax exemption for the sale of primary home when I sell it. On both other properties, there will be a money loss - San Francisco appreciates more than I pay for its annual upkeep (but when I sell it, I will have to pay about 28% of any gain in federal and state taxes - so, at best I will about break even), while Parkchester, the Bronx hardly appreciates at all (the annual upkeep costs about $5,500, or about $50k over 10 years. But the condo has appreciated by only about $$30k over 10 years, on which I would pay around $10k tax. I do not expect to even break even with owning Parkchester, but it doesn't bother me because I certainly did not buy it to maximize wealth :-).
Spin it however you want, but to NYCHA residents, you're wealthy....lol. So if you can't even recognize that simple fact, then I don't think you're in a position to suggest handing out condoms and dogs to NYCHA residents, when you don't even realize, to most NYers, you qualify as a 1%!

Quote:
Okay, so let"s say my 300 sq ft in Cisco, 350 sq ft in Boston, and 415 sq ft in the Bronx are "elite" (). But I EARNED money to buy them, I exchanged my time/work/stress for that money. I can do anything I want with the money I earned. I chose to have small bases for travel on both coasts, rather than to have kids (partly because, by the time I had enough $ to buy secondary condos, I was already 48). I am not telling Bob Marley what to do with his money, he can have 30 kids with 135 women if he wants, and it is not any of my business, because he took care of all these kids with the money HE EARNED. I have no problem with that.
BOB MARLEY? Why the reference to the great global icon in this discussion? Your homogenity is showing!

Quote:
But oh yes, I am very much addressing a system. NYCHA is a system, it is not a specific group of individuals. NYCHA is a system that takes money from people who earn it (in exchange for their time/work/stress), and uses it to house people who do not earn money , ie, do not exchange their time/work/stress for money, but only have numerous kids that need housing (and many other things) which this type of "parent" automatically assumes will be provided for free by someone else. A far better, and fairer, system would be to provide people who do not earn money with effective implementation of contraception, or at least NOT to base increased welfare benefits (including larger free housing benefits) on increased number of children.
So stick to blaming NYCHA itself then, and stop suggesting contraception and emotional support animals for individuals, if you clearly understand that the system should be re-structured.

Quote:
The best solution for NYCHA problems would be to (1) sell the properties to any interested private buyers for their market value, which is not high, but is certainly substantially higher than the absurd figure of $10k proposed by the OP, and then (2) to discontinue NYCHA. It has obviously been a well-meaning but failed experiment whose only result was creating skyscraper-sized nests of violent crime.
This last paragraph clearly illustrates that you have no knowledge of NYCHA from its inception until NYC went bankrupt in the 1970s. If the history does not interest you, that is fine. But at the same time, you don't have the right to have an opinion on something you clearly know nothing about other than your brief tenure living in the Bronx.

At the end of the day, it's clearly evident that a lot of people are not realizing that they cannot exist comfortably within a heterogenous culture. This is why they complain, and blame others for any misfortune in their own lives, no matter how great or small the misfortune is. I pay taxes too, but I would be damned if I blamed a NYCHA single mother for the problems of this city. It's almost insulting to them, for you to believe that they have that much power.....little old them....single mothers and their babies are virtually crippling the city...it's laughable. A homogenous culture would be best for you I think. Consider retiring in your home country and helping them. Or is the civil war still going on?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-30-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:

The only way to maximize wealth is to knowledgeably invest in business, which I am not doing because I do not have much knowledge or interest in it.

I may have not been clear enough.

1. I suggested selling NYCHA building especially ones in prime location to private investors for development. The city will earn money threefold. First on the sale. Second on the development. Third on the subsequent sale and continued collection of taxes from the end buyer who will no doubt live there, work and pay more taxes.

2. The city would drastically reduce their welfare/social services responsibility.

3. Offer incentive to companies amazons/factories etc type companies to operate from extremely low cost areas.

4. Request developers invest in a pool to develop or develop already existing houses. Houses in Detroit and baltimore are now less than $10k some $5k. Like the same houses in NYC.

5. Provide skills training and certification and first dibs for jobs and these newly built /renovated houses to people who were previously public housing dwellers.

6. Companies get affirdable labor. And people in generational poverty are able to get a leg up so to speak.

Now they own a house and have a job.

7. Those who chose not to relocate would be given the equivalent of the costs of these houses ($10k to $20k) with the understanding they would never qualify for public housing again.

I am sure the govt spend more than $20k per household in welfare/social services yearly. And there are still families as poor now as when their previous family members moved in to NYCHA 20 to 60 years ago

Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You just explained the American Dream. Start with nothing, end up with something. It is the dream that perpetuates millions to emigrate here. You could have chosen other places but you chose the USA in facts because it would be easy to gain citizenship and amass wealth. You've successfully done both, so I rest my case on that.

Spin it however you want, but to NYCHA residents, you're wealthy....lol. So if you can't even recognize that simple fact, then I don't think you're in a position to suggest handing out condoms and dogs to NYCHA residents, when you don't even realize, to most NYers, you qualify as a 1%!

BOB MARLEY? Why the reference to the great global icon in this discussion? Your homogenity is showing!

So stick to blaming NYCHA itself then, and stop suggesting contraception and emotional support animals for individuals, if you clearly understand that the system should be re-structured.

This last paragraph clearly illustrates that you have no knowledge of NYCHA from its inception until NYC went bankrupt in the 1970s. If the history does not interest you, that is fine. But at the same time, you don't have the right to have an opinion on something you clearly know nothing about other than your brief tenure living in the Bronx.

At the end of the day, it's clearly evident that a lot of people are not realizing that they cannot exist comfortably within a heterogenous culture. This is why they complain, and blame others for any misfortune in their own lives, no matter how great or small the misfortune is. I pay taxes too, but I would be damned if I blamed a NYCHA single mother for the problems of this city. It's almost insulting to them, for you to believe that they have that much power.....little old them....single mothers and their babies are virtually crippling the city...it's laughable. A homogenous culture would be best for you I think. Consider retiring in your home country and helping them. Or is the civil war still going on?
I have not amassed wealth, but okay, I started with nothing, and have been able to support myself. But this is FAR easier to attain for any American citizen than for an immigrant. Don't think that immigration was so easy - the only relatively easy part was to get a spot in a graduate school program (which is equally easy or easier for an American than for a foreigner), the immigration part took 29 years to fully complete (ie, that was the time that passed from my arrival to the US to study, til the day I obtained my US citizenship. During those 29 years, I had not been eligible for any government assistance, and for the first 20 years, ie, from entering the US til being able to obtain a Green Card, I was paying all federal and state taxes without having right to any US governmental benefits, including not being eligible to claim a Social Security retirement benefit or Medicare later in life).

When I arrived to the US, I had nothing except a $560 per month research stipend, for spending about 60 hours per week in the lab in addition to my graduate coursework. That would be about $1,500 in today's money, or about $18,000 a year. Any NYCHA resident is free to start from that (and most NYCHA residents get more than that in welfare assistance - just the housing that they get is generally worth more than that. I paid the rent for a $150 attic storage shed with cold water shower, in Upstate NY, from my $560 research stipend). Everybody is free to start from where I started and become "wealthy"... except that NYCHA residents could typically start from a higher financial point than the one where I started.

I referenced Bob Marley precisely because he is known to everybody (so nobody can complain that I invented the example) and because his lead the lifestyle that included many baby mommas - BUT, he was financially responsible about his offspring. He was financially responsible about his offspring long before he was any kind of global icon, while he had only one wife and two kids, and worked hard on a menial job in Delaware. With this menial job he was fully supporting himself (as well as his wife, one small step-daughter and one small daughter back in Jamaica). All of those are the right reasons for mentioning Bob Marley as an example, and the example does not say anything about my "homogenity" (although it does say a lot about Bob Marley WHEN HE WAS VERY POOR). Btw, the word is spelled "homogeneity", and it means something different from what you think it means (a person cannot be homogeneous unless he/she is made of marble or marshmallow or some other homogeneous material. A society can be homogeneous if it is made of very similar people, but a single person cannot be homogeneous).

NYCHA exists because of individuals who forced its existence. People who are poor AND STILL have multiple kids are pushing themselves deeper into poverty, and expanding poverty in the next generation of their family. Your "arguments" are fragments of political sloganeering that have nothing to do with my specific statements. You are mixing up my finances WHEN I WAS POOR (which lasted for 17 years following my arrival to the US) with my finances after I finally got above the poverty line at the age of 40, and spent the next 10 years in among the 20% top earners in the country (never anywhere near the top 1%). You are conveniently disregarding the fact that my annual income was below the poverty line for the first 17 years that I was in the US. I did earn more later, but how much did I train for that, and what kind of poverty (which did not permit me to raise a child) did I accept for 17 years prior to that?

On the other hand, what has an average NYCHA resident (to whom the US offered much more starting support than it could offer me, an immigrant) done to take care of herself for these 17 years, and why does she and her 5 kids, and her 25 grandkids, and her 125 great-grandkids, still live in NYCHA?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
I said detroit and Baltimore and used the word 'relocation' multiple times.
Wait... so you're suggesting we "incentivize" booting people out of the projects to move them to different cities? lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City