Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM

6,162 posts, read 4,540,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What boggles your mind? The fact that I am just stating the obvious?
No, the fact that you think generational poverty is an inherited genetic disorder. It's a learned behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,413,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
No, the fact that you think generational poverty is an inherited genetic disorder. It's a learned behavior.

No, of course I don't think generational poverty is genetic. But generational poverty is not a behavior either, it is a state of family finances. Lower number of kids does not lead to reduction of poverty by reducing the number of genetic copies, but by reducing the number of people fed by a certain family budget. If the same limited family budget is used to feed 3 people, they are all going to be less poor than if the same limited budget is used to feed 6 people.

Wealthy people do not limit their number of kids for genetic reasons, but because they want their kids to stay equally wealthy. Less you divide your resources among your kids, better off each kid ends up being. The same holds for any size of family finances, from the largest to the lowest.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:31 PM

62 posts, read 35,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, of course I don't think generational poverty is genetic. But generational poverty is not a behavior either, it is a state of family finances. Lower number of kids does not lead to reduction of poverty by reducing the number of genetic copies, but by reducing the number of people fed by a certain family budget. If the same limited family budget is used to feed 3 people, they are all going to be less poor than if the same limited budget is used to feed 6 people.

Wealthy people do not limit their number of kids for genetic reasons, but because they want their kids to stay equally wealthy. Less you divide your resources among your kids, better off each kid ends up being. The same holds for any size of family finances, from the largest to the lowest.

Can you explain to me how some immigrants come to this country with nothing in their name, all of a sudden in a few years they're millionaires.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post
Can you explain to me how some immigrants come to this country with nothing in their name, all of a sudden in a few years they're millionaires.
They know how to game the system. Running a cash business, paying no taxes, getting welfare and social services to pay for living expenses. A lot of illegals get the city to pay for their rent but they are actual co-owner of the building. Since the actual owner on paper is a relative of theirs and offers them a share on the property as long as they play along and get the city and state to pay for their rent with Section 8.

How great is that to own a house and have the city subsidize the rent while you live on your co-owned property. More reasons, illegals like being illegal with nothing to their name.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:44 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,413,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post

Yes, I can because I am that immigrant :-). I came here with nothing, to pursue education, and lived off a very small research stipend for 3.5 years. Then I pursued more training, altogether a total of 15 years of postgraduate education and training - very poorly paid during that time. Then worked in places where no Americans with same qualifications wanted to work, and earned a lot over about 10 years. Did not have kids, none at all. Never received any financial assistance. Lived in rented apartments for 17 years, then bought the first condo at the age of 40, then two more at 48, then was able to partly retire at 49 (was able to fully retire, but continued working part time to keep professional skills). What is not clear?

Old 08-29-2019, 02:52 PM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
I'm in on any housing running along the coast line. ( Quick Flip Sarcasm )
......Sheepshead, Coney Island and Hammel................ewwwwww.....take back Hammel...........Soooory.....

Old 08-29-2019, 03:00 PM

25,382 posts, read 37,118,719 times
Gee, nobody has suggested roasting and eating the poor on holidays. I am surprised.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:02 PM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They know how to game the system. Running a cash business, paying no taxes, getting welfare and social services to pay for living expenses. A lot of illegals get the city to pay for their rent but they are actual co-owner of the building. Since the actual owner on paper is a relative of theirs and offers them a share on the property as long as they play along and get the city and state to pay for their rent with Section 8.

How great is that to own a house and have the city subsidize the rent while you live on your co-owned property. More reasons, illegals like being illegal with nothing to their name.

Memories of a couple ( not married on paper but living together with a son in NYCHA.)
apartment under the woman's name while Man sets up mailing address at mom's home elsewhere.
Woman and child are housed ,fed and medicated on our tax dollar. Man lives in apartment.
Saves money. Buys a home in Jersey. Him and girlfriend finally move out in their late 60's. Get married.
Greater Tax break on co ownership home. I'm sure if taxes get to high they'll divorce on paper for
reduced property taxes. Son and Girlfriend with baby stay behind in NYCHA and take over apartment.
Rinse and Repeat. Gotta love it. Wake up State Politicians......wake the F**** up!.............

Old 08-29-2019, 03:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,243,610 times
The poor pop out the kids like a pez dispenser. Look at the orthodox have 12 kids each and supposedly poor. Haha

Old 08-29-2019, 03:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,243,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Gee, nobody has suggested roasting and eating the poor on holidays. I am surprised.
They are tasty and plump though 🤣🤣🤣.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City