Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,979 times

Advertisements

Not doing the 3$ fare yet, holding at $2.75. The discount is dropping from 11% to 5% though, pushing up the per trip cost from $2.48 to $2.62. Unlimited weekly going to $32 from $31, 30-day increasing to $121 from $116.50. 7-day Express bus going to $59.50 from $57.25.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-much-when-why
MTA nixes plans for $3 base fare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
Why do the people who spend the most get penalized. Raising the unlimited $5......

Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,844,288 times
MTA is so much cheaper than other subway systems around the world. In London's subway you can't get anywhere for less than $5. I'm not really complaining.

Plus the MTA lets you travel as far as you want for the same flat rate. Most cities charge by the zone and you would have to pay much more for a typical commute.

EDIT: PLUS they are open 24 hours. Most cities would strand you after midnight. I complain about a lot of things in NYC but the MTA isn't one of them.

Last edited by wiivile; 01-25-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:24 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
MTA is so much cheaper than other subway systems around the world. In London's subway you can't get anywhere for less than $5. I'm not really complaining.

Plus the MTA lets you travel as far as you want for the same flat rate. Most cities charge by the zone and you would have to pay much more for a typical commute.
Same here. Even $121 is cheap compared to what'd you pay elsewhere. Now those against the fare hikes will say that the MTA is a terrible agency and that the service/stations is nowhere near what you get in those other cities. But remember also that the system runs 24 hours...and would you really want to own a car here?

That's a good point about those subways that charge you based on the distance you travel. DC does that. You want a monthly pass? Just $237!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,050,245 times
$5 is a drop in the bucket. Considering the gradual minimum wage increase would cover that in less than an hour. The social security tax increase is already hundreds more this year so boohoohoo.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:36 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,092,897 times
Quote:

to me, this argument gets old. What's the point of a cheap fare when its a miserable unreliable ride.

Sometime it takes me upwards of 45 min to for a 3 stop ride in Manhattan. I walk 20 blocks daily now unless its pouring rain with wind gusts.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,844,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
to me, this argument gets old. What's the point of a cheap fare when its a miserable unreliable ride.

Sometime it takes me upwards of 45 min to for a 3 stop ride in Manhattan. I walk 20 blocks daily now unless its pouring rain with wind gusts.
I'm afraid I don't have this experience with the MTA. Also, I would never take the subway just 3 stops or 20 blocks... a 20 min walk is healthy.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,092,897 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't have this experience with the MTA. Also, I would never take the subway just 3 stops or 20 blocks... a 20 min walk is healthy.
Perhaps you should take the subway more. The infamous there is a train traffic ahead of us announcements. Train out of service notices. No air condition in the sweltering heat. Trains that smell like homeless people. Train doors packed so full they can't close the doors. I can go on forever.

I walk quite a lot over many years. It can be a bit rough during inclement weather. Frigid air blasting on my face or sweltering hot summers. On a really nice day, I even walked 50 blocks down to meet up with some friends for beers

Old 01-25-2017, 02:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 984,748 times
LOL. NYers don't really travel to other parts of the world. In china, people only pay less than 50 cents for a subway trip, which is btw much newer and much reliable than the laughable MTA

Quote:

EDIT: PLUS they are open 24 hours. Most cities would strand you after midnight. I complain about a lot of things in NYC but the MTA isn't one of them.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:24 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Ever since the days of private ownership there has been a reluctance to raise NYC transit fares to levels needed to provide appropriate revenue.

When the City forced private companies to forgo such increases they pretty much gave up and systems were sold to NYC.

NYC faced pressure to preserve the "nickel" or whatever low fare so it didn't do any better than the private transit companies. Finally the whole hot mess was taken over by the state (MTA) who invested billions into NYCT. They got around pitiful fare box recovery rates and the politics of fare hikes by issuing debt (borrowing). So much borrowing went on that nearly 1/4 or 1/3 of the MTA budget (forget the exact figure atm) goes into servicing debt.

When borrowing vast sums no longer was possible (well the MTA still can and does but many are wary of how much it truly costs the agency), we got fare hikes. Not enough in many instances (as proven now), but the MTA is a creature of politics thus must serve many masters.

It is rather ironic that ever since NYC off loaded NYCT to the state it has been cutting back on share of funding always crying poor mouth. This even when the city's coffers are bursting with so much money de Boob and the council cannot find enough "causes" to stuff. Money for free feminine hygiene products they have. Money to vastly expand the city's labor force in particular those working for the mayor they have. Increased funding for their share of MTA is where the mayor and others dug in their heels. Cuomo rightfully pressed the issue and made the City see sense.

Even at three dollars a fare for NYC buses and subways is rather inexpensive for what you get. An often one seat (or at least fare) ride through a vast system that runs 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City