Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

They caught on. Last night I tried to put $40 more on to get it over $100 again. The $40 option was not there for me. So I guess, I cannot go over $100 with my reduced fare card anymore.
Dammit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Let us know if you can go over 100$ on a regular MetroCard, I'm interested. I know you didn't use to be able to, but I haven't tried in many years.
It's been a total pain in the ass. I bought a 30-day metrocard for $116.50 on a chase freedom card (to get the 5% cashback), then tried to load a pay per card with $400 which they didn't accept. I kept bringing the number down until they accepted a $90 charge (plus bonus). When I went to charge other metrocards they no longer accepted my credit card I know the card the still works because I've been using it elsewhere. So WTF MTA

Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's been a total pain in the ass. I bought a 30-day metrocard for $116.50 on a chase freedom card (to get the 5% cashback), then tried to load a pay per card with $400 which they didn't accept. I kept bringing the number down until they accepted a $90 charge (plus bonus). When I went to charge other metrocards they no longer accepted my credit card I know the card the still works because I've been using it elsewhere. So WTF MTA

Isn't that bizaare? So they are tracking your credit card and limiting charges to it? Weird...and more than a little intrusive.
If they were as clever at running their trains as keeping you from getting that 11% bonus, the system would run a lot better.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

I guess I will be content just making sure that on March 18th, I have exactly $100 on my Reduced Fare card and husband has the same.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:22 AM

186 posts, read 220,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Perhaps you should take the subway more. The infamous there is a train traffic ahead of us announcements. Train out of service notices. No air condition in the sweltering heat. Trains that smell like homeless people. Train doors packed so full they can't close the doors. I can go on forever.

I walk quite a lot over many years. It can be a bit rough during inclement weather. Frigid air blasting on my face or sweltering hot summers. On a really nice day, I even walked 50 blocks down to meet up with some friends for beers
People want more trains for less crowding then you will deal with those kind of delays.
Want to know how train traffic ahead of us happens?

When you hold the door so your friend can make it up the stairs and get on, sick passengers, someone asking the conductor questions while in the station.

Delay the train for more than a minute and it causes a domino effect throughout the line that by the train gets to last station they could be 15 minutes behind schedule etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
People want more trains for less crowding then you will deal with those kind of delays.
Want to know how train traffic ahead of us happens?

When you hold the door so your friend can make it up the stairs and get on, sick passengers, someone asking the conductor questions while in the station.

Delay the train for more than a minute and it causes a domino effect throughout the line that by the train gets to last station they could be 15 minutes behind schedule etc.
This is the MTA & NYPD's fault for not enforcing train violations. I have never ever once in decades seen a cop write a summons to someone for holding the doors open. If they had cops stationed at the major bottlenecks this problem would go away REAL fast

Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Default TODAY is the last day

Don't forget today is the last day to load up on MTA credit at the 11% bonus rate (plus 5% if you have Chase Freedom, so 16% total). Rates go up across the board tomorrow

I've basically found that they limit you to around $200 on the same credit card every X days (maybe like every 5 days to a week). Maximum per metrocard seems to be $100. I've managed to buy about $700 worth, maybe I'll get another $300 worth tonight on different credit cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City