Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs50 View Post
Thank you for reply. Nothing fancy or expensive. We eat mostly pasta with chicken. Granola or oatmeal for breakfast. I do buy a lot of fruits and vegetables though. Also love dairy products like cottage cheese, yougourts and kefir.
Pasta and chicken are not expensive. Perhaps you spend a lot on take out. I usually spend $16.00 a day when I order food online on weekends. The cost really adds up if you also buy groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I found that signing up for all the store cards helps and then shopping their things on sale, no need to physically clip coupons these days. I remember growing up with my grandparents (who raised me) they spent 100 dollars every Friday night on food that should last a week, except they bought nothing but junk food (like hardcore junk food) and then some random low quality steaks (i didn't eat meat growing up because i was nauseated by it, unless it was hot dogs), but the weekend would be GREAT with all that food in the cabinets, but by tuesday/wednesday? there was nothing left but a stick of butter and other things not fit for human consumption, so it was always a worrisome wait until the next Friday when it would be restocked. I bet that's how lots of low income people actually shop, it's just human nature. We'd be better off learning from Squirrels and stuff about saving stuff for the future, but low income people in general, my family included, seem to have issues with their prefrontal cortex that keeps them from planning for the future, and that includes how to manage food and meals for a week, a month, etc. No bash on them, It's hard.
You're funny. My key ring is full of them. I try to buy things on sale but it does not usually work. I want what I want. If you like to eat out, you need to find balance with buying groceries. For some reason, I started spending $40 for groceries per week. That does not make sense if I eat out twice a day five days a week. I buy things that I do not eat. The bread has gone bad. The tuna has been sitting in the cupboard for a long time. On Friday, I only spent $20 which is pretty good. I know that I will eat everything I bought.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Now I'm wondering how you spend 500 each on that stuff, even with eating out.
I wonder that too at the end of each month when calculating how much we spent.
I guess things add up. We don't have food budget for now ($1000 is just what we spend without any attempt to save), but we'll need to have a budget soon. So. I'll try to go down to $800 per month.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Fresh fruits and veggies can be cheap, but you HAVE to eat them before they expire. This thread has me going now that I am going to write down exactly how much I spend on food and exactly on what for the next month and see my actual intake/spending is. If anyone wants to join in, please do! We could probably learn a few tips from each other on how to save and also perhaps insight onto what terrible things we actually are buying.
Good idea. I am going to do this too. I will be able to kill two birds with one stone. I need to reduce my calorie intake by 3500 per week. I will still budget for $400. Whatever I save will go towards my LV wallet fund. Happy Birthday to me!!

Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs50 View Post
I wonder that too at the end of each month when calculating how much we spent.
I guess things add up. We don't have food budget for now ($1000 is just what we spend without any attempt to save), but we'll need to have a budget soon. So. I'll try to go down to $800 per month.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
whatever you do, don't click on the Frugal forum on this this site lol. Unless you think it's totally okay to boil your pasta in the same water you washed your dainties in :!

Old 01-08-2017, 04:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
OP: Why won't you pack lunch? You can save a small fortune that way.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM

274 posts, read 485,344 times
I have a family of 6 and we spend about $500 per month on groceries. My 9 month old doesn't count at the moment and my step son is with us every other week so that reduces the spending. We try to eat healthy but on occasion the kids have junk. We always shop what's there is a sale, even if that means traveling for our groceries. It works for us.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
I have a family of 6 and we spend about $500 per month on groceries. My 9 month old doesn't count at the moment and my step son is with us every other week so that reduces the spending. We try to eat healthy but on occasion the kids have junk. We always shop what's there is a sale, even if that means traveling for our groceries. It works for us.
That sounds about right.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have a friend that does this. It drives me crazy. I stayed over her house for the weekend. We must of went to 4 different stores in the neighborhood for sales. I just could not keep up. Coupons don't work for me either.

That is how housewives and others shopped in NYC and elsewhere for decades. Going back even before there were supermarkets. You went to this place for "X", that for "Y", and another for "Z".

Know what days weekly circulars for local supermarkets and convenience stores hit online and or stores, and make sure to scan each to see what is on offer. May go to Associated for a few things, then hit Rite Aid for others. Mosey up to Whole Foods and Fairway....

My mom taught me this; she like her peers was a budget conscious shopper. Well back in the 1970's pretty much everyone's mom/shopper was because times were what they were but you had mouths to feed.

Got pretty good at predicting what would be for dinner during the week by what was in Mom's shopping bags. If beans and some kind of "cheap cut" but good meat along with boxes of macaroni were in there it meant pasta fazool surely was coming one night that week! Yammy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City