Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
How much would you say that you spend on food per month for groceries and eating out?
I'm not really sure, it does vary. I don't stick to a hard number, but I can't imagine that it's more than 350-400. Just this past week I went out for a nice dinner twice and the check was 80 bucks each time. Now I don't do that every week.

I also work in a restaurant and receive a 60 percent discount, so that's a lot of eating out that is really the same price as going to the grocery store. I shop at Westside Market and a little bit at Whole Foods.

I'm sure I could limit myself to 200-250 if I didn't eat out so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
I found that signing up for all the store cards helps and then shopping their things on sale, no need to physically clip coupons these days. I remember growing up with my grandparents (who raised me) they spent 100 dollars every Friday night on food that should last a week, except they bought nothing but junk food (like hardcore junk food) and then some random low quality steaks (i didn't eat meat growing up because i was nauseated by it, unless it was hot dogs), but the weekend would be GREAT with all that food in the cabinets, but by tuesday/wednesday? there was nothing left but a stick of butter and other things not fit for human consumption, so it was always a worrisome wait until the next Friday when it would be restocked. I bet that's how lots of low income people actually shop, it's just human nature. We'd be better off learning from Squirrels and stuff about saving stuff for the future, but low income people in general, my family included, seem to have issues with their prefrontal cortex that keeps them from planning for the future, and that includes how to manage food and meals for a week, a month, etc. No bash on them, It's hard.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
DONUTS, not Doughnuts!! BLASPHEMY! hahhaha

Yeah, I think 300 a month seems to be the magical number for most singles. 10 dollars a day on food might sound like SO little to some people, but there are things you can stock up on if you are able to stock up... for instance, I bought canned soup (my fav. veggie line brands) that were 3 for $3 dollars!! a dollar a can!!! SWEEEEEET! So I stocked up with like 30 cans and then a week later they were almost all gone :/ So I really didn't save anything and instead was mainlining sodium for a week straight.
Ha! It looked wrong but I let go. Sorry.

I really do not like soup. I bought three cans of chicken noodle soup about a year ago. It is still in the cupboard. My goal is to bring oatmeal and juice for breakfast. I will spend no more than $10 for lunch. Eat food I prepare over the weekend for dinner. It will take time to adjust but it should work. I was so annoyed when I went to Dunkin Donuts and I had to pay $4.01 for a small tea and a corn muffin. It hurt less when it was under $4.00. They raised the price at the beginning of the year.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 18,490 times
We spend $1000 for the two adults. That includes groceries and ordering pizza or Chinese food for delivery on the weekends. No going out. I would like to know what people eat when the food budget is $300 a month or $650 for 4 people?

Old 01-08-2017, 02:38 PM

quote:
I would like to know what people eat when the food budget is $300 a month

Whatever is on sale, slightly healthy, and filling, that keeps us on a 10 dollar a day budget. There's only so much food shopping one can do without dipping into rent money, loan money, etc. I eat way too much starchy and processed stuff, but you try to make a nice salad for ONE for ONE meal and that will kill the 10 dollar a day food budget. What do YOU eat that you spend 1000 dollars a month on (well you said two adults) and if you eat better than people on 300 bux a month, I can get how that is possible.

Anyone reading this thread, you can also google food pantries and get some staples. But if you go that route, I highly suggest donating back to those same food pantries when you aren't in the red.

I remember back in the 90s where everyone starting becoming anorexic and food budgets weren't that big of a deal, but now everyone looks to seem to be getting fat again and food budgets are back in the brain cloud. Go ana, or go home.!? hmmm. There HAS to be a middle ground

Old 01-08-2017, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 18,490 times
Thank you for reply. Nothing fancy or expensive. We eat mostly pasta with chicken. Granola or oatmeal for breakfast. I do buy a lot of fruits and vegetables though. Also love dairy products like cottage cheese, yougourts and kefir.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm not really sure, it does vary. I don't stick to a hard number, but I can't imagine that it's more than 350-400. Just this past week I went out for a nice dinner twice and the check was 80 bucks each time. Now I don't do that every week.

I also work in a restaurant and receive a 60 percent discount, so that's a lot of eating out that is really the same price as going to the grocery store. I shop at Westside Market and a little bit at Whole Foods.

I'm sure I could limit myself to 200-250 if I didn't eat out so much.
Wow! That is a lot but there nothing like good food and conversation. I splurged for lunch on Friday and spent $16.00. I thought it was a lot but the food was good.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Fresh fruits and veggies can be cheap, but you HAVE to eat them before they expire. This thread has me going now that I am going to write down exactly how much I spend on food and exactly on what for the next month and see my actual intake/spending is. If anyone wants to join in, please do! We could probably learn a few tips from each other on how to save and also perhaps insight onto what terrible things we actually are buying.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs50 View Post
Thank you for reply. Nothing fancy or expensive. We eat mostly pasta with chicken. Granola or oatmeal for breakfast. I do buy a lot of fruits and vegetables though. Also love dairy products like cottage cheese, yougourts and kefir.
Now I'm wondering how you spend 500 each on that stuff, even with eating out.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs50 View Post
We spend $1000 for the two adults. That includes groceries and ordering pizza or Chinese food for delivery on the weekends. No going out. I would like to know what people eat when the food budget is $300 a month or $650 for 4 people?
I guess $400 is not bad. I believe I went over that this month but I am working on fixing that. Ordering food does add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City