Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 3,483,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooahFollowMe View Post
I was just thinking because I saw a private sanitation truck pass by. But what is to keep the city from switching over to private contractor in the future, I know it won't effect the guys that's already hired but for the new people or for the future of the department. I'm pretty sure somebody in city hall would consider switching over some task to private company because it's cheaper and there no benefits or pension needed to pay out. And just retain half the workforce for snow situation. There's some Beancounter out there doing the math and calculation. Just curious, is there any law that protect the antiprivatazation of sanitation. Thanks for any info.
No politician would ever propose that idea - they would never be re-elected.

The citizens are more than Happy if you don't change anything about their Police Protection, Fire Protection, or Garbage pickup.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 23,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac11414 View Post
This. Was at orientation today and it was stated the first class will be July 18th, second August 22nd and another some time in September.

Thirty one people showed up. Only 2 already had CDL. Medicals are this Wednesday and Thursday.
thank you dmac,
did they say whether there is still spots left for people in the last few days of orientation? anyone going this week is cutting it close. lol

Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 PM

20 posts, read 22,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther124 View Post
thank you dmac,
did they say whether there is still spots left for people in the last few days of orientation? anyone going this week is cutting it close. lol
We had the deputy director speak because the director wasn't available. She was kind of vague when answering questions about the likelihood of people in our list range(high 700s) getting into one of this years classes. She just gave the usual 3 to 1 ratio people keep throwing around.

Personally, I was a little encouraged by them pushing the first class date back. You would figure they wouldn't do that unless they were having a harder time filling the class than they thought they would.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:26 PM

22 posts, read 23,043 times
Quote:
We had the deputy director speak because the director wasn't available. She was kind of vague when answering questions about the likelihood of people in our list range(high 700s) getting into one of this years classes. She just gave the usual 3 to 1 ratio people keep throwing around.

Personally, I was a little encouraged by them pushing the first class date back. You would figure they wouldn't do that unless they were having a harder time filling the class than they thought they would.
i agree. def encouraging. 3 to 1 ratio would give us a shot mathematically.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 17,585 times
Quote:

I think the reason is the first 200+ people are combat veterans and disabled veterans, and their medical are more complicated and takes a little longer to clear. But by law, they have to be given a full evaluation and not just get skipped over to the next one. So it may take longer, maybe that's why they pushing the class back because they have to give this group of Hero's extra time to get their medical situated. Rightfully so.

Lucky that this isn't New Jersey, their civil service law is really pro military. Even if you score a 100 and a vet scored a 75, he will be called and process before you.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 22,850 times
Quote:
I think the reason is the first 200+ people are combat veterans and disabled veterans, and their medical are more complicated and takes a little longer to clear. But by law, they have to be given a full evaluation and not just get skipped over to the next one. So it may take longer, maybe that's why they pushing the class back because they have to give this group of Hero's extra time to get their medical situated. Rightfully so.

Lucky that this isn't New Jersey, their civil service law is really pro military. Even if you score a 100 and a vet scored a 75, he will be called and process before you.
Could be that. It could also be that it seems like a really low percentage of the people are coming in having a CDL already. Like I said, only 2 out of 31 had it today. So it seems like HR is having to wait for the all the FBF CDL people to fill classes.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:54 PM

3,748 posts, read 3,483,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvosten View Post
Thanks! Bro. I'm here now waiting. Nervous lol. I'm gonna pass though. First guy passed.
Did you pass?
How many passed today?

Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM

114 posts, read 144,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Did you pass?
How many passed today?

I passed bro.

I'm sooo excited!!!!!!!!!

They pushed class back to July 18 because not enough people have CDL or medical still pending

Get your CDL guys

Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 PM

733 posts, read 724,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvosten View Post
I passed bro.

I'm sooo excited!!!!!!!!!

They pushed class back to July 18 because not enough people have CDL or medical still pending

Get your CDL guys
Congrats Chris !!!

Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 PM

733 posts, read 724,532 times
Quote:
I was just thinking because I saw a private sanitation truck pass by. But what is to keep the city from switching over to private contractor in the future, I know it won't effect the guys that's already hired but for the new people or for the future of the department. I'm pretty sure somebody in city hall would consider switching over some task to private company because it's cheaper and there no benefits or pension needed to pay out. And just retain half the workforce for snow situation. There's some Beancounter out there doing the math and calculation. Just curious, is there any law that protect the antiprivatazation of sanitation. Thanks for any info.
I'm in the private sector I don't see that happening ...and let's say it does not for cheap ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.