Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 PM

353 posts, read 471,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
What is it? I'm not downloading a useless app just to look lol
Look at the link from a computer, no need to download an app

Its a video of a couple of ladies representing DSNY community affairs (never knew this unit existed) and they are inside a warehouse looking place with a bunch of "artifacts" found during trash collection in NYC.

There is a San Man, Nelson Molina, with 34 years on that they introduce and he is the "Curator of the exhibit". He apparently takes care of the large collection.

Here is a screencap - Nelson is on the left with the Green hat on, community affairs is the lady in the jacket

Old 03-25-2016, 03:45 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
HAHA that's not a warehouse it's a sanitation garage - M11. That's why it's closed to the public. Molina retired last year. I actually started at that garage, but haven't been back there in like 8 or 9 years. Looks like he really built it up. It was not that extensive back in the day.

The lady in the jacket is Robin Nagle. I think they call her the anthropologist-in-residence of DSNY. She actually went through the hiring process and got on just to do a book about the job: Amazon.com: Picking Up: On the Streets and Behind the Trucks with the Sanitation Workers of New York City (9780374534271): Robin Nagle: Books

Old 03-25-2016, 03:57 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
HAHA that's not a warehouse it's a sanitation garage - M11. That's why it's closed to the public. Molina retired last year. I actually started at that garage, but haven't been back there in like 8 or 9 years. Looks like he really built it up. It was not that extensive back in the day.

The lady in the jacket is Robin Nagle. I think they call her the anthropologist-in-residence of DSNY. She actually went through the hiring process and got on just to do a book about the job: Amazon.com: Picking Up: On the Streets and Behind the Trucks with the Sanitation Workers of New York City (9780374534271): Robin Nagle: Books
It's actually really cool now, not sure the last time you were there but the collections is HUGE! He's got some really cool **** there, the whole garage floor is taken up, in the bathroom/locker room... Cool sports and music memorabilia... All sorts of art etc...

And for the guy asking , sw Molina didn't have a tissue lol not sure if u were serious... He was behind the truck and found everything in the "museum" on the routes... Technically were not allowed to take stuff outta the trash but I heard he was actually granted permission by the Dept....

Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
It's actually really cool now, not sure the last time you were there but the collections is HUGE! He's got some really cool **** there, the whole garage floor is taken up, in the bathroom/locker room... Cool sports and music memorabilia... All sorts of art etc...

And for the guy asking , sw Molina didn't have a tissue lol not sure if u were serious... He was behind the truck and found everything in the "museum" on the routes... Technically were not allowed to take stuff outta the trash but I heard he was actually granted permission by the Dept....
Yea I mentioned the tissue thing as a joke - nice collection and thanks for clarifying. Pretty interesting!

Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Wow that's pretty awesome. Is she still a sanitation worker? Meaning, does she still have the title even in her current role?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Oh yeah Nelson retired. His son is XO there.....I'd rather drink gasoline than ever have to work at that garage though lmao

Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM

I came across this interesting PDF file regarding DSNY facts. I'm a data junkie so I like this kind of info, Chapter 8 regarding pay helped clarify things for me.

http://www.cbcny.org/sites/default/f...s_05222014.pdf

Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 AM

316 posts, read 489,744 times
I met Molina a few years back and he also took me to some rooms that he had locked up with some really nice finds that isn't out on the main floor. I started in M8 and used to go there to use the bathroom and take lunch there when I worked mid to 8 baskets. He said he was going to retire in a few years when I met him.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:56 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
I came across this interesting PDF file regarding DSNY facts. I'm a data junkie so I like this kind of info, Chapter 8 regarding pay helped clarify things for me.

http://www.cbcny.org/sites/default/f...s_05222014.pdf

The people who made that pdf want this job fundamentally changed and privatized.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:38 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Quote:
The people who made that pdf want this job fundamentally changed and privatized.
98% of that pdf is nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City