Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:12 AM

193 posts, read 417,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperjuice2k16 View Post
since anyone transferring to dsny from another city will be in Tier 6, thus allowing all city time to count "up front" to go towards 22 year retirement, will my salary also transfer over? (see/read nycers special plan form #995 and has been verified by NYCERS). I have 10 years previous civil service time so I will only have to work another 12 years at DSNY, it would be great if some of my salary would carry over as well!!

Not sure what you are reading that makes you believe this, but im almost 100% sure you are mistaken. Your time carries on the back end with a 32 yr pension. Im tier 4 so i dont know all the ins and outs of tier 6, but i asked around and no one knows what you are talking about, so i would recheck this info.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangIntel View Post
Just be honest, there's people going thru the process now that disclosed their surgeries and got cleared. Some are on this forum . I think the majority of the people in the first class are all combat veterans and you know they have prior injuries that they had to disclosed and still got clear .

Just do what makes you feel better at night, is it worth worrying everyday about getting caught and fired. Or do it the right way and sleep peacefully.

Just food for thought, a guy I used to work with went over to Sanitation, he has a few injuries while he was on the job . But he never told Sanitation . Somebody that didn't like him here forward his files over to sanitation/medical (I'm not sure where exactly) and long story short, he was terminated by sanitation. Yeah, people can be very vindictive.

They'd all be fired for disclosing private documents, they would all become inadmissible, and your guy you know would be filthy rich from suing the city.

The only point at which your entire medical history is going to come up is if you're attempting to sue the city of stay out indefinitely with a prior injury.

And all I see on here the last several years is people appealing

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub718 View Post
I'm not asking you to repeat yourself. You should know that by now. And I'm sure I probably won't say **** about it when asked. but you are on the job. We are not. So we are covering our own asses because God forbid someone gets fired for it I'm sure you guys won't contribute to the go fund me when someone gets fired.
But you are because we answered it already, and you know the stance already of the trainers and his on here. I used to work for operations and come after file of guys fired for drugs, lying about having a high school diploma, failing to keep up with probationary officers, never seen a file that said anything about lied on a medical. You don't lie....You forget to mention. You're just not going to be able to sue.

But if you want to go a different route then by all means..You have to sleep with yourself at night and such. But don't come tell us what your friends told you and ask us for rebuttal. You know our stance. It hasn't changed on here in a few years and it's not going to. In the end all of your life choices are in your hands.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 AM

442 posts, read 813,944 times
These guys that are coming on seem to know a lot more about the job than the guys OTJ. You guys would all make great Chiefs.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,147,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub718 View Post
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of heat but.... I have spoken to 9 different people currently on the job and recently retired and they all say completely opposite of what guys here say. 5 of those I spoke to are family and people I have known over 20 years. They all say don't lie during medical cause if they find out they will fire you up to 5 years after your hired. Also a very close family member who is a supervisor for the past 8 years and retiring soon told me I should try and advance up to at least superintendent. Now I know everyone is different and has their own opinions but nOw I'm totally confused as to what I should do. Every San worker I asked ( probably over 25) have said my past surgery wouldn't DQ me.

This is the internet bro. We're all anonymous to each other. Hell we could all have been bull****ting all this time. Maybe we're actually DOC workers. Bottom line is people come here looking for information. It's on you to decide what to do with that.

Again no one is saying outright lie, but it's in your best interest to put the burden of proof on the city to DQ you. Want to give them a ready-made excuse to DQ you on a silver platter go right ahead.

We've said it many times the supervisor position sucks and if people want to go that route try to get promoted above that as soon as possible. Problem is the stars have to align right for that to happen. Not nearly as many superintendent positions as there are supervisor positions. Also if you get promoted at the wrong time and the superintendent test is years away you're stuck in a job position forever that you might hate. Why didn't your supervisor friend get promoted?

Like AWOL said you can listen to the dinosaurs who got hired when the hiring process was nothing what it is now or you can listen to people who have gone through the process very recently. That's on you bro.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 AM

264 posts, read 504,426 times
Just called HR to see if i could get any info on what list number they were up to, They didn't even have me as passing my CDL last week. I would suggest people call and notify themselves if they passed.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1187 View Post
Just called HR to see if i could get any info on what list number they were up to, They didn't even have me as passing my CDL last week. I would suggest people call and notify themselves if they passed.
......You have always had to call HR and tell them you passed your CDL. How else would they know

Old 07-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
This is the internet bro. We're all anonymous to each other. Hell we could all have been bull****ting all this time. Maybe we're actually DOC workers. Bottom line is people come here looking for information. It's on you to decide what to do with that.

Again no one is saying outright lie, but it's in your best interest to put the burden of proof on the city to DQ you. Want to give them a ready-made excuse to DQ you on a silver platter go right ahead.

We've said it many times the supervisor position sucks and if people want to go that route try to get promoted above that as soon as possible. Problem is the stars have to align right for that to happen. Not nearly as many superintendent positions as there are supervisor positions. Also if you get promoted at the wrong time and the superintendent test is years away you're stuck in a job position forever that you might hate. Why didn't your supervisor friend get promoted?

Like AWOL said you can listen to the dinosaurs who got hired when the hiring process was nothing what it is now or you can listen to people who have gone through the process very recently. That's on you bro.

Yeah I mean, who told you that you couldn't be a superintendent someday. Assuming you can make it that is.

The supervisor position in the middle of san worker and superintendent does suck and as 2k stated tests are only given every 4 years and supervisor and superintendent are on the same track now if you get supervisor right away you're looking at 4 years. I always just tell people to be realistic. You need to be top 100 to be a lock for superintendent. So if you couldn't be top 2000 for san man or top 250 for supervisor (pre adjustment) then take supervisor expecting you might never make superintendent. Most supervisors never intended to stay supervisors

Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM

264 posts, read 504,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
......You have always had to call HR and tell them you passed your CDL. How else would they know
Not what we were told, At training they said they would let HR know who passed the exams and all we had to do was go to DMV and ammend the license. If we passed it outside with a school then we would have to call and let them know.

The lady on the phone even sounded surprised they had not put it in and then told me she would call me back, i guess she was going to go figure it out.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM

529 posts, read 727,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
But you are because we answered it already, and you know the stance already of the trainers and his on here. I used to work for operations and come after file of guys fired for drugs, lying about having a high school diploma, failing to keep up with probationary officers, never seen a file that said anything about lied on a medical. You don't lie....You forget to mention. You're just not going to be able to sue.

But if you want to go a different route then by all means..You have to sleep with yourself at night and such. But don't come tell us what your friends told you and ask us for rebuttal. You know our stance. It hasn't changed on here in a few years and it's not going to. In the end all of your life choices are in your hands.
i get where your are coming from and yes its my choice. but you are one of what 6k current workers. you don't know me i don't know you. i got advise from people i actually know. my real concern is wife cousin just did his medical and said they check him up and down and i have a slight scar on my knee so i don't want it to bite me. but i won't say anything regardless and pray it doesn't come up. i have always respected what you have said ( how many different guys post under this name thanks) I'm pretty sure when all you guys on the job where in our position you had the same concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City