Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My partner and I are going to be moving from Long Island (me) and LA/Syracuse University(him) to NYC come early spring (soon, I know!) and we're in the process of adopting a Doberman puppy. Now we're serious about adopting him and will provide the utmost care. The main problem is that we're trying to find apartments/buildings/landlords that will allow the dog because he will get bigger than 50lbs.

Once the snow melts, I figured I would go to the dog parks and talk to big dog owners but since the weather is atrocious right now I find myself hoping on the LIRR to head home immediately after work.

I've been trying Craigslist, naked apartments, rent hop, easy street, and anything a quick google search will provide.

We're looking for a 1br apartment with the absolute max price of $2200.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
Borough?

It's really on a case by case basis in my experience and up to the landlord.

By the way, here are the parks in NYC:
Dog-friendly Areas : NYC Parks

Good luck, my husband and I also adopted a puppy in November.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,000 times
Looking for Manhattan ideally!

Thank you so much!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlivvyuh View Post
Looking for Manhattan ideally!

Thank you so much!
You will have great difficulty in Manhattan finding a landlord who will take a large dog especially that breed
which along with the pit bull is on a bad dog list (rightly or wrongly). Talk to a few agents and see what they say. I have a large dog and thought about this and mine is a collie . We ended up not moving but I can tell you it will be a problem. It will add 200-300 dollars a month to the cost of the apartment because you are looking at about 10% of the places that will accept large dogs. Not to mention a pet deposit of usually a month that is maybe returned if there is no damage,

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,234,059 times
$2200 for a 1BR in Manhattan is ambitious, especially with a large dog. In that price range, you're going to be more or less restricted to Upper Manhattan - Harlem, East Harlem, Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights, Hudson Heights or Inwood. Add $200-300/month and you'll be in range of a lot more apartments.

Large dogs are hard. You'll have to be very up-front with the landlord. I would recommend using a broker (even though I usually think they are a waste of money) as the broker will be able to screen out landlords who do not take dogs/do not take large dogs more easily than you can. Of course, that adds at least a month's rent in broker's fees to your costs. And the pet deposit that is really a pet charge is another inevitable surrender.

Large buildings operated by big real estate companies are the most likely to be accomodating on dogs, but they are also typically fancier and more expensive, definitely out of your price range in Manhattan at least.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,746 times
Unfortunately, your expectations are a bit unrealistic.

At that price point you'll have a hard time finding a real 1br without a dog. With a dog, you are immediately taken out of 90% of complexes and the other 10% will have that dog fee built in.

I can tell you firsthand that 6623 Ridge Blvd does accept all dogs (I have a GSD and lived there) but that's in Bay Ridge Brooklyn but that's all the help I can offer unfortunately.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,815 times
As a real estate agent having a client with a dog makes things a bit harder especially anything over 30lbs. Even some of the big landlord/management companies wont accept dogs of that size. It is harder but not impossible, the harder part will be the budget with the dog. Yes harlem/the heights can be an option BUT theres plenty of 1br in the ues and uws for 2400 and below.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
As a real estate agent having a client with a dog makes things a bit harder especially anything over 30lbs. Even some of the big landlord/management companies wont accept dogs of that size. It is harder but not impossible, the harder part will be the budget with the dog. Yes harlem/the heights can be an option BUT theres plenty of 1br in the ues and uws for 2400 and below.

You are ignoring that this is a doberman[ there are buildings that will take big dogs but not dobermans
or pit bulls > as a real estate agent I am sure you can confirm that

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,880 times
I have a 75 lb pitbull. It will limit your housing options a little bit, especially since your budget is already going to limit things. I think you're going to have to look outside of Manhattan. But it definitely is possible to find a place.

That said, I've lived in two separate apartments since I got my dog 4 years ago, and both have been 'no pets' leases. NYC has a law where if you make your landlord aware that there is a pet living there, they have 90 days to kick you out if they do not want it there. Past that 90 days they cannot legally do anything to you. So, what did I do? With both leases I saw the apartment via the landlords agent, and both times I told the agent "I have a large dog." They asked me her weight. I told them, they said no problem. Went to the lease signing, and lo and behold. The lease says "no pets." I looked the landlord in the face and said "I have a large dog," again was asked her size, and they brushed it off like it was nothing. So when I first moved in to each place I called the super and had them stop by, introduced myself and my dog- this supplied proof that the dog was living in the apartment and that I was not concealing her, making it apparent to the landlords agent. Can be a little nerve wracking for the first few months, hoping that the landlord doesn't have a sudden change of heart. But even if they did they would still have to evict you through the court.

Here is what the law says:

The Pet Law- may override a no-pet clause in a lease.Under the Pet Law, a landlord is deemed to have waived his right to enforce a no-pet clause if: the tenant has kept a pet “openly” and “notoriously,” the landlord or his agent has known or should have known of the pet for three months or more, and the landlord does not begin a court case to enforce the no-pet clause. The Pet Law applies to renters living in buildings with three or more apartments and to the owners of cooperative apartments in all five boroughs of New York City. It also applies to condominium owners in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, but not to condo owners in Manhattan and the Bronx. The Pet Law does not apply to New York City Housing Authority.

More info here

EDITED TO ADD: In both cases there were MANY MANY pets in each building. My current building has 9 units, and has 4 dogs and a cat living in it, all on no-pets leases. Just be open with it and most landlords are willing to consider it.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You are ignoring that this is a doberman[ there are buildings that will take big dogs but not dobermans
or pit bulls > as a real estate agent I am sure you can confirm that
I can confirm that and i wasnt ignoring the doberman partt. Off the top of my head i know of 4 management companies/landlords that will accept dobermans but they dont have any one bedroom at that price. Reason being cause most of the tenants with a dog of that size need to have a very spacious apt to allow it. Spacious apt equals bigger price lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City