Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 AM

19 posts, read 104,060 times

Advertisements

I must ask why do u need such a large dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,996,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I have a 75 lb pitbull. It will limit your housing options a little bit, especially since your budget is already going to limit things. I think you're going to have to look outside of Manhattan. But it definitely is possible to find a place.

That said, I've lived in two separate apartments since I got my dog 4 years ago, and both have been 'no pets' leases. NYC has a law where if you make your landlord aware that there is a pet living there, they have 90 days to kick you out if they do not want it there. Past that 90 days they cannot legally do anything to you. So, what did I do? With both leases I saw the apartment via the landlords agent, and both times I told the agent "I have a large dog." They asked me her weight. I told them, they said no problem. Went to the lease signing, and lo and behold. The lease says "no pets." I looked the landlord in the face and said "I have a large dog," again was asked her size, and they brushed it off like it was nothing. So when I first moved in to each place I called the super and had them stop by, introduced myself and my dog- this supplied proof that the dog was living in the apartment and that I was not concealing her, making it apparent to the landlords agent. Can be a little nerve wracking for the first few months, hoping that the landlord doesn't have a sudden change of heart. But even if they did they would still have to evict you through the court.

Here is what the law says:

The Pet Law- may override a no-pet clause in a lease.Under the Pet Law, a landlord is deemed to have waived his right to enforce a no-pet clause if: the tenant has kept a pet “openly” and “notoriously,” the landlord or his agent has known or should have known of the pet for three months or more, and the landlord does not begin a court case to enforce the no-pet clause. The Pet Law applies to renters living in buildings with three or more apartments and to the owners of cooperative apartments in all five boroughs of New York City. It also applies to condominium owners in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, but not to condo owners in Manhattan and the Bronx. The Pet Law does not apply to New York City Housing Authority.

More info here

EDITED TO ADD: In both cases there were MANY MANY pets in each building. My current building has 9 units, and has 4 dogs and a cat living in it, all on no-pets leases. Just be open with it and most landlords are willing to consider it.

This is good advice about being up front with the landlord-- you should read and heed it well

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I can confirm that and i wasnt ignoring the doberman partt. Off the top of my head i know of 4 management companies/landlords that will accept dobermans but they dont have any one bedroom at that price. Reason being cause most of the tenants with a dog of that size need to have a very spacious apt to allow it. Spacious apt equals bigger price lol.

There are always some at a premium but there are more I have seen that have a specific breed restriction built in..What areas do you cover... I may want to contact you some day

Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 AM

343 posts, read 1,094,022 times
I love animals, but honestly big dogs have no place in the city. It's just too crowded and the huge dog can't possibly be comfortable in a teeny weeny itsy bitsy apartment. Maybe you shouldn't adopt such a big dog. Big dogs belong in big back yards where they can run free and frolic and mess up nature, not mess up your small city apartment.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 AM

897 posts, read 1,255,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
I love animals, but honestly big dogs have no place in the city. It's just too crowded and the huge dog can't possibly be comfortable in a teeny weeny itsy bitsy apartment. Maybe you shouldn't adopt such a big dog. Big dogs belong in big back yards where they can run free and frolic and mess up nature, not mess up your small city apartment.
You couldn't be more wrong about that.

Big and small dogs do the same thing in the backyard by themselves - dig a little bit, watch the squirrels run by, sleep, and whine to get back inside.

Dogs do not entertain themselves so a yard is useless on its own. You need to interact with your dog daily - play with him, run him, bicycle with him, etc. but the misconception that dogs are happy in the yard does more harm than good.

You can interact with your dog anywhere - I managed to find places in Brooklyn to do our obedience training (we do Schutzhund, achieving the highest title of a Schutzhund 3) or tracking sessions. It's definitely doable just requires a commitment from the owner. The yard thing is, usually, just a cop out "oh he doesn't need a walk he runs around in the yard"

Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post

Spoken like a true new yorker. I have the same feeling about these teeny weeny pretend dogs that I see people trying to walk--- I usually advise them to get a cat. I see no reason for them to exist anywhere city or country.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
You couldn't be more wrong about that.

Big and small dogs do the same thing in the backyard by themselves - dig a little bit, watch the squirrels run by, sleep, and whine to get back inside.

Dogs do not entertain themselves so a yard is useless on its own. You need to interact with your dog daily - play with him, run him, bicycle with him, etc. but the misconception that dogs are happy in the yard does more harm than good.

You can interact with your dog anywhere - I managed to find places in Brooklyn to do our obedience training (we do Schutzhund, achieving the highest title of a Schutzhund 3) or tracking sessions. It's definitely doable just requires a commitment from the owner. The yard thing is, usually, just a cop out "oh he doesn't need a walk he runs around in the yard"
i'm not a dog myself but the dogs i know love to be in yards by themselves or with humans it really doesn't matter. where there are green pastures in the city, the powers that be want your dog to stay off the nice new grass they've planted. its just not a HUGE dog friendly place. my uncle & his family live on Long Island and have a huge dog to guard their property, she is quite at home in their yard and in the woods.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Spoken like a true new yorker. I have the same feeling about these teeny weeny pretend dogs that I see people trying to walk--- I usually advise them to get a cat. I see no reason for them to exist anywhere city or country.
pretend dogs lolol

i see where the small dogs come into play in the city.. they're small enough to be housebroken, and small enough to be picked up and taken on the train even. some people want the companionship that a rude ass cat just wont offer lol small dogs also produce small poopies so picking it up isn't much of an issue. have you ever seen, let alone SMELLED big doggy doo on the city streets?? nomygod!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM

43,807 posts, read 44,579,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post
I must ask why do u need such a large dog?
My question would be why would one want to have a large dog in an apt.?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM

138 posts, read 208,495 times
Default Astoria

We have a 60 pound pit bull in an apartment in Astoria. Astoria rentals tend not to be so dog-friendly, but Partridge Realty owns a lot of buildings in the area and, as far as I know, they are all pet friendly. We did not get any push back on the breed and paid an additional $500 deposit. You should be able to find something nice in your price range if you're willing to live in Queens. Astoria Park is off-leash in the mornings. I would contact the Partridge office and ask what they have available.

Otherwise, using a broker is a good suggestion. The broker can advocate for you and your pet.

I'll add that I don't think there's anything inappropriate about having a big dog in an apartment as long as you put in the time and effort to give them the exercise and stimulation they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City