Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 PM

132 posts, read 282,511 times

Advertisements

This video below shows my two-section (red and green) traffic signal in operation. It was manufactured by the Ruleta company, and it originally saw service somewhere in the city of New York. It dates back to the 1930s, and it is in the same condition as it was when it was removed from service in the 1970s.

In the early 20th century, two-section traffic signals were the norm throughout the boroughs until the amber signal indication made its debut in the 1950s. They slowly dwindled afterward, and the very last survivors of their kind were removed from service in Queens in the late 2000s.

My Ruleta is controlled by an electro-mechanical signal controller, in which saw service in New York City as well, and you could hear it in the background of the video. The old form of caution, in which is remembered by many is the overlap, and both the red and green signal indications appeared momentarily lit (in between 1 to 3 seconds) before the green signal indication terminated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
You call that old? THIS is old...

Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You call that old? THIS is old...

Actually, at that time the film was recorded, two-section traffic signals were in use. New York City's police department first introduced them several years earlier in the 1920s in Brooklyn and Manhattan. These would eventually become widespread throughout the rest of the other boroughs by the 1930s.

The earliest traffic signals, in which were manufactured by the Ruleta company as well, in New York City typically replaced original traffic control towers.

It is rather difficult to say when exactly my Ruleta was first put into useful service wherever it was located in New York City, but the 1930s sounds like a reasonable guess to me.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,835 times
There are still some 2 color traffic signals present on Long Island. I know of one specifically in Sayville in Suffolk county that will flash red to act as a stop sign, then turn full red when that traffic has to stop, and change to green when traffic has the right of way.

So they're not completely out of service

Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
There are still some 2 color traffic signals present on Long Island. I know of one specifically in Sayville in Suffolk county that will flash red to act as a stop sign, then turn full red when that traffic has to stop, and change to green when traffic has the right of way.

In NYC there's actually a defacto 4th traffic signal for drivers - the pedestrian crosswalk signal, especially the ones with a countdown clock. When I'm driving I often base my speed on the number on that clock, if it's down to 2 and I'm too far away I'll slow down to stop whereas with just a yellow in some situations I may have tried to go and could've run a red light

Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
What ever happened to the arrow signals ?
Even some cars had them for turning signals .

Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post

Just out of curiosity, where exactly is this in Sayville? Seems not to necessarily function as a N.Y.C. vehicular head once did; however, there are some two-section pedestrian signals (red and green) in Central Park in particular that show the same sequence you mentioned in your comment.

The flashing red ball clearance acts as a flashing hand before it is steady. Others throughout Central Park, as I have observed, simply change from green to red. An overlap (red and green both lit) is not in use amongst these in that area.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What ever happened to the arrow signals ?
Even some cars had them for turning signals .
Arrow signal indications are still in useful service throughout New York City. D.O.T. uses 12" inch arrows to meet M.U.T.C.D. standards; however, in the past, we used to use 8" arrow lenses (commonly the green arrow). Those in particular were used as far back as to when red and green signal indications were the norm in New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: