Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times

Advertisements

Personally, I've shopped at few Hasidic owned shops in my time and usually of course in neighborhoods which have a Hasidic presence, in my case usually the neighborhood of Willamsburg. There have been plenty of times when I shopped in various shops where I am on the middle of the line and the cashier allows/calls the people who happen to be hasidic behind me in front of me or a friend. Happened a number of times and a number of shops, not all but quite a few which is alarming. I know others who happen to be locals with similar stories also.

It's a cold feeling it leaves you with like you were living in the 1920's and 1930's and your presence is unwanted but your money is.

So yesterday, 2 transplants I know in Williamsburg in Brooklyn, walked by and spoke to me, they told me they just had a similar experience and they were quite upset and disappointed. I simply suggested to shop elsewhere and not go to these few shops again.

Anyone here have noticed this or have similar stories ? This cannot go unchecked if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
Default no goy rights

You are an unwashed goy. This is the one place where the illusion that you're a human being is exposed as a fantasy. Deal with it, they are the chosen people and you are not.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Despite Samyn's evident joy in posting his biases for all to see, he happens to be facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Hasidim will treat you much, much better if you're Gentile than if you're Jewish but not Hasidic. (I happen to be Jewish but not Hasidic, and if there's one thing you'll never see me doing, it's shopping in any of their stores. Believe me when I tell you this).

On the other side of the coin, however, this prompts me to mention a grocery shop that opened up in my neighborhood about a year ago. It was a Mexican grocery, and even though there are virtually no Mexicans in my neighborhood, you wouldn't have been able to tell by walking into that store. The proprietors wouldn't speak English, and no matter what you asked for, they didn't have it. They closed down and moved out within six months. The whole time, I thought that if only they attempted to invite people in--rather than shutting them out--they might have been able to stay in business. (This applies to Hasidic businesses as well. And go figure...they're not any more open minded than those Mexicans).

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Fred i am of the faith too. do Orthodox and Hasids treat secularized or non-religious Jews as as being non-Jews or just treat them coldly? this is something i've noticed and wondered about. if you'd rather not expand into this topic on the boards you could DM me

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Personally, I've shopped at few Hasidic owned shops in my time and usually of course in neighborhoods which have a Hasidic presence, in my case usually the neighborhood of Willamsburg. There have been plenty of times when I shopped in various shops where I am on the middle of the line and the cashier allows/calls the people who happen to be hasidic behind me in front of me or a friend. Happened a number of times and a number of shops, not all but quite a few which is alarming. I know others who happen to be locals with similar stories also.

It's a cold feeling it leaves you with like you were living in the 1920's and 1930's and your presence is unwanted but your money is.

So yesterday, 2 transplants I know in Williamsburg in Brooklyn, walked by and spoke to me, they told me they just had a similar experience and they were quite upset and disappointed. I simply suggested to shop elsewhere and not go to these few shops again.

Anyone here have noticed this or have similar stories ? This cannot go unchecked if anything.
Im very familiar with that feeling.... When I first moved here, I had no clue what to expect because there are no Hasidics where I'm from. My general interactions with them have left a bad taste in my mouth, so I just don't patronize their businesses anymore. Moved my money where my mouth is...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post

Its a few things. One to be frank a lot of hasids feel that their kind of hasidic are more special in the eyes of god, that they and only they are the chosen people of god. For them its their hasids, other jews, and then everyone else. You have different kind of hasids too, for instance the ones who mostly live in billyburg dont like the ones who live in crown heights. So don't feel too bad.

Also some hasids barely speak English, others have barely had any kind of formal education beyond the religious education they get. Their skills interacting with "the outside world" are limited at best. Thats another thing.

Remember you are a paying customer. If you don't like the way you are treated don't go there. I really like rugelach. Those things are awesome so ive been tempted to go into one of their bakeries but have never done so.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-16-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
This thread reminded me of shopping at the now defunct 47th Street Photo. It was owned and staffed by Hasids and they had no problem taking non-jewish money. You always got the feeling that they really didnt want to deal with you but they did it for the business. The one thing I remember is they rarely looked you in the face when they were showing/discussing their merchandise. I remember their bus that would take the workers from Brooklyn...a curtain running along the middle separating the male from the female employees.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Fred i am of the faith too. do Orthodox and Hasids treat secularized or non-religious Jews as as being non-Jews or just treat them coldly? this is something i've noticed and wondered about. if you'd rather not expand into this topic on the boards you could DM me
Not Jewish but ive read a lot on the subject. Its complicated. There are a lot of different sects and levels of orthodoxy. Its not really a black and white thing. For instance the crown heights hasidics openly accept and recruit converts.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM

11,639 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I've had experiences like that under certain conditions in stores owned by Chinese. NYC has many ethnic neighborhoods with stores catering to the local residents, but this problem of store patronage is not limited to NYC. I suggest if you feel uncomfortable shopping in that store, go somewhere else. It's not like there aren't a million other stores in NYC to make purchases.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

142 posts, read 461,979 times
There are actually some Orthodox (not fully militantly Hasidic but close) in my building who pretty much don't look me in the eyes when I talk to them. Standing next to them in the elevator is good fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City