Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,098,926 times

Advertisements

i offer my interns. transit reimbursement and a free outfit at the end of the internship. company is too cheap to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,585,716 times
Default Connections made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
My son has just secured a "job" as an unpaid intern in the film business.

He moves to NYC in about a month. He has learned, though he now says he knew ahead of time, that most in that field start work, working for nothing or as an intern.

I have been researching this and it seems like this is the norm, in the "biz." I know I do not know.

From you guys experience, does this "free interning" normally turn into a paid job, or is it just a step to add to resume for a more senior paid job.

I guess as long as young people will work for free, the market is taking advantage of it, but I remain stunned that he has a "full time, intern job."

Any hope, do you think, that an intern job will magically turn into a paid position?

I am afraid I have been put into the position of funding this endeavor. A position I can neither afford nor expected. I did not spend $100K on college to work for free...or did I? Yikes!

LLN
The intern job he is starting with may not turn into a paid position; especially if it's not with a major production company or network. However, what it will do is lead your son to make connections by working with staff from other departments as well as meeting or having the opportunity to meet even more people throughout the industry. That, in turn can and usually does lead to a full-time job in the industry in one capacity or another. But let me add, that's usually because someone in a position to hire or recommend saw something in the intern that made them want to help him get employed. For example, the job he's moving to NYC to start soon. He may be interning as a PA (Production Assistant) or some assistant's assistant. That's ok because there is no telling where it will lead him. He may end up being offered the opportunity to work in a different capacity within the industry and having to move to LA or Toronto for the new position. But, it all started from his first non-paid PA internship here in NYC. Of course, it goes without saying that he has to be assertive (a go-getter) and always keep an eye out for a full-time position within the industry while working as an unpaid intern. Warn him not to get comfortable as an unpaid intern just because he gets to be around the "buzz" or "hype" of show business (seeing celebrities up close and personal). Keep plugging away at seeking f/t paid employment.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 12-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Too edit and add more.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
We offer our interns the occasional meal and only beat them when they really deserve it. And yet the fools line up like lambs going to the throat-slitting. Kapitalism is great...we get the ignorant morons to work for free and they feel they have been blessed.

Only in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: