Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 19,972 times

Advertisements

hi everyone

Well I have posted here before and I'm still considering the move to NYC. I'm leaving for some Army training in May and would consider the move in Sept -Oct time frame.

One of my main questions is what is the best time of the year to move to NYC in terms of Jobs, Apartments.. ect? When I relocate the only money I will be bringing in will be my weekend drill pay which wont be anywhere near enough to cover my bills.

What are the best resources to target Jobs specifically in Manhattan? Are there certain publications I could subscribe to? Or is there a popular website aside from Dice and Monster?

I work in the Software field and would be looking for some sort of development job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
When I relocate the only money I will be bringing in will be my weekend drill pay which wont be anywhere near enough to cover my bills.
Are you joking? LOL

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 19,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Are you joking? LOL
Well if you had some reading comprehension skills you would pick up that I understood that my drill pay wont cover jack.

Please post only constructive replies to this thread please.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
I read it and I comprehend it. This is the most expensive city in the US. You should have a job lined up when you come here or come with enough money to hold you over for at least 6 months preferably for a year to pay rent, buy food and travel around town. Otherwise you shouldn't come. This is a tough city to live in. You can't do it without money.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
DAS, I just don't understand when people get upset when their NY fantasy meets reality.

The reality is, a decent studio is hard to find under $1000 a month and jobs are very hard to come by. For even natives or current residents of our great city. NYC is not a place where you come to make dreams happen anymore. You have to come here with the money and the means and make it happen. It won't come to you, and certainly not so easy.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
How much money will you have saved?

How much money are you willing to spend on rent?

If you do not have a job, you'll most likely need a guarantor or you'll have to prepay like 6 months rent.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0989 View Post
hi everyone

Well I have posted here before and I'm still considering the move to NYC. I'm leaving for some Army training in May and would consider the move in Sept -Oct time frame.

One of my main questions is what is the best time of the year to move to NYC in terms of Jobs, Apartments.. ect? When I relocate the only money I will be bringing in will be my weekend drill pay which wont be anywhere near enough to cover my bills.

What are the best resources to target Jobs specifically in Manhattan? Are there certain publications I could subscribe to? Or is there a popular website aside from Dice and Monster?

I work in the Software field and would be looking for some sort of development job.
Would you consider a waiting tables job or bartending job? That would pay the most, right off the start. Check out yahoo jobs or craigslist for job listings. You can get a studio in certain parts of Manhattan--Inwood/Washington Heights for around $1000 a month--seriously. It'll just be around 300-400 sq feet--if that--but you can find a decent place in Manhattan--if you research it. Good luck man! NYC isn't that hard to make it if you have common sense and a good head on your shoulders.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,716 times
Software development is a highly-paid and much sought-after skill. Experienced coders can expect $90K-$150K per year.

If you have some real development experience, you could work with a headhunter and depending on the situation, you might even be able to negotiate a relocation package. Not many non-executive jobs in NYC offer relo packages, but as I said, good programmers are hard to find!

I'm a software product manager, so I have first-hand experience with this. In fact, DM me your resume if you have any experience with embedded platforms (specifically small low-power devices with embedded Linux)

Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Software development is a highly-paid and much sought-after skill. Experienced coders can expect $90K-$150K per year.

If you have some real development experience, you could work with a headhunter and depending on the situation, you might even be able to negotiate a relocation package. Not many non-executive jobs in NYC offer relo packages, but as I said, good programmers are hard to find!

I'm a software product manager, so I have first-hand experience with this. In fact, DM me your resume if you have any experience with embedded platforms (specifically small low-power devices with embedded Linux)
Now that's the old NY spirit I know and love...

Alternately, if you need a job quickly, consider temping or freelancing, which can lead to full time gigs or at least get you going. Might consider university jobs (NYU, Columbia, etc) which don't pay as much but have nice perks like free tuition, health, pension, etc etc.

For cheap, and more spacious housing, try the Bronx, or rent a room in a house (Bronx or elsewhere) or by the week (100 and up), or try small hotels in upper Manhattan, etc.

Best of luck to you! Yes, your field is hightly sought after, so don't let the naysayers get to you. Get your main info from other sources...employment sites for universities, NY times online, and so forth.

Best of luck to you

Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
You said Army training, right? Couldn't you get the Army to pay for some of your housing? I don't know, just asking. Have you also considered the Fort Hamilton base, which will probably knock your housing costs down a bit, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City