Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times

Advertisements

I know this might sound silly, and I do apologize if I do not state this question in the best possible manner, but there is something I REALLY want to know and don't know where else to ask.

I am from Texas, and have been fortunate enough to visit NYC twice. Both were short visits, and I do not know anyone living there.

I notice a lot of Hadasic (I think that is how you say it) Jewish gentlemen, men with the traditional hat with the wide brim, always dressed nicely in a black suit and with full beards.

They mostly seem to have these little curly things at the ears...I don't know how to say it, but like they wrapped a curling iron around it. Are those their REAL hair, or is it something they bobby pin in place? Also, do they get it permed, or just curl it daily?

I know it is stupid to ask, but we were in FL this past week and I saw many again and it got me thinking again...and I have always wanted to know.

I pray that I have not offended anyone with this question, and thank anyone kind enough to fill in a curious kid from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,657 times
Payot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's your answer.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,315 times
Hi . . . yes it is their real hair. they are peyos (peyot in the singular). some jewish people (quite a few) have curly hair and don't have to worry about making their peyos curl. but for those who have straight hair, they usually use rollers when they are young and then twirl them around their fingers with gel when they are older. it depends. i'm sure some people get it permed or curl them but as you get older, the more you've curled them with rollers and such, they tend to start to retain shape more easily and sometimes just grow in wavier than your natural texture. just some pomade/gel will make the actually curl. it's not stupid to ask and i think you asked a sensitive question in the best way you were able, so don't apologize. now that you know what they are called, maybe you can google it :-) cheers!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Thank you so much for your help...it is so good to know, and I would have asked a Jewish friend if I knew any, but I did not and certainly did not want to offend anyone at all.

I REALLY appreciate your insight and will certainly google it!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
Hi . . . yes it is their real hair. they are peyos (peyot in the singular). some jewish people (quite a few) have curly hair and don't have to worry about making their peyos curl.
What an incredibly ignorant and bigoted statement! Many NON-JEWS have curly hair, too! And they do NOT use rollers.

And it's Hasidic.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What an incredibly ignorant and bigoted statement! Many NON-JEWS have curly hair, too! And they do NOT use rollers.

And it's Hasidic.
Please do not be mean to this person who helped me with a legitimate question that I had.

We are not all as worldly as you and no one meant any harm. I asked a question in the only way I knew how to find an answer, and this person was kind enough to explain to me....to be mean to them for being so kind is really uncalled for.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
This is from Ohr Somayach - Ask The Rabbi / Curly, Moe & Larry

Dear Rabbi,
A few months ago I started growing payos (sidelocks). Unfortunately, instead of growing in tight curls, they tend to stick out at strange angles, making my head look something like a wrecked airplane. Is there something I should be doing differently to make them grow neatly? I thought of using curlers, but wasn't sure if that was allowed for a man. Please advise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Name@Withheld,

A man shouldn't use curlers. Rather, if you want to curl your payos, use your finger. For the proper method to do this, we asked a Rabbi with long payos. He wrote us the following: "Wet the payos and comb them out horizontally across the forehead. Then, take the forefinger of the hand of whichever side you are doing, stick the forefinger from above in between the hair and the forehead, and push it towards the roots of the payos as far as you can comfortably get it. Then, with the other hand, curl the rest of the hair around your forefinger in the down direction, trying to keep it as in order as possible. Hold it that way just for a moment, and then gently try to remove the forefinger without messing up the curl. Once it's out, don't touch the curl; let it dry that way. Do this once each weekday morning, and maybe once again later in the day if you want (optional), and hopefully it will start curling naturally by itself. "If you ever cut your payos one time too short, then about five months later you will have a growth of hair coming from the top that will not go together with the rest of the payos, at least for a couple of years. Many have this problem. I don't have a clear solution for it."

Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,315 times
wow. i didn't mean to make a bigoted statement and i really don't believe that i did. however, i am very sorry if it came across as such. i didn't say that all jewish people have curly hair, i said quite a few. and i didn't say that if you have curly hair, you must be jewish. that would be bigoted and you'd have every right to attack me. i mean, i even went on to explain what straight-haired people might do. i made a statement that was based on what i've seen. and since i didn't use definitives in my statement, i don't see how it is bigoted. that's like saying: "some swedish people have blond hair (quite a few actually). . " i don't think that's ignorant because i said "some." operative word. and about the rollers, when i was a kid, i saw rollers on some of my friends and know that a few of my friends who have little boys use rollers on shabbes or on days when they are going to shul. once again, i'm sorry if the comment came across wrong, i guess that's the problem with the internet, you can't hear the other person talking. and on a side note, i'm jewish. have curly hair. i must be part of the "some." and thanks for sticking up for me OP. :-) i appreciate your kindness.

Last edited by WannaGoHome; 02-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: bad typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City