Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM

3,084 posts, read 7,289,746 times

Advertisements

I'm black and I'm trying to plan my shopping. We are reaching holiday season, will you still shop at ritzy stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,097,742 times
Walmart welcomes black people. Its Ritzy enough.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM

5,538 posts, read 8,858,361 times
I never shopped at Barney's anyway, but occassionaly I will drop into Macy's either in Herald Square or Fulton Mall. I probably will again during the shopping season. Frankly, I think now is actually a pretty good time to go because after this adverse publicity the people working there will probably be on their absolute best behavior when dealing with black shoppers.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,083,012 times
Barneys doesn't like or want black people shopping their establishment. The incident with those two black kids is an ON GOING problem that's been happening for years.

A former Barneys security guard said that when a black person comes in with an entourage then they don't follow them. They assume they're famous. If a black person comes in by themselves, then they get followed.

Why would you give your money to a company that considers you filth?

I also won't shop at Macys Herald Square, since the store considers non-whites to be disgusting as well. I will give the Macys in the outerboroughs business, because I doubt NYPD is chasing down the hundreds of minorities that enter the store to "prove" themselves.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,351,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Barneys doesn't like or want black people shopping their establishment. The incident with those two black kids is an ON GOING problem that's been happening for years.

A former Barneys security guard said that when a black person comes in with an entourage then they don't follow them. They assume they're famous. If a black person comes in by themselves, then they get followed.

Why would you give your money to a company that considers you filth?

I also won't shop at Macys Herald Square, since the store considers non-whites to be disgusting as well. I will give the Macys in the outerboroughs business, because I doubt NYPD is chasing down the hundreds of minorities that enter the store to "prove" themselves.
Interesting as pretty much at least half the herald square macy's employees are "people of color." Can't say I have observed or felt that there was racism there. The only thing that's ever bothered me about macy's herald square is that it's a poorly laid out store and their sales are almost always more hype than substance.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,097,742 times
Just as Sylvias doesnt need that extra white couple from Long Island to find their way to Harlem neither does Barneys need to sell an over priced belt to some black kid. Its not their market, they know it, dont care about it....and you can take your business elsewhere, they will truly be happy.

Macy's? you arent hurting them either.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,351,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Just as Sylvias doesnt need that extra white couple from Long Island to find their way to Harlem neither does Barneys need to sell an over priced belt to some black kid. Its not their market, they know it, dont care about it....and you can take your business elsewhere, they will truly be happy.

Macy's? you arent hurting them either.
It matters if powerful Black people call their powerful friends and they collectively boycott the store.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,779 times
The only way you will see some change in all of today's racism is to not shop at these establishments.....period. They all know that blacks are consumers and we tend to spend the most money.

We need to start investing in ourselves and open up our own businesses.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 AM

809 posts, read 1,280,772 times
I'm gonna use my horse mask.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,571,984 times
I'm not black, but I will help out my fellow brothas and sistas.... Next time I go to Macys, I will try on the clothes to see what size fits me. Then if I like it, I will buy it online from another vendor. Save some money in the process of fighting for injustice.

I'm too much of a cheap bastard to even step foot in a Barney's, so I can't help you out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: