Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to the parade?
Yes 5 17.24%
No 23 79.31%
Maybe 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM

190 posts, read 882,850 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going to the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade. Tell me if you like the parade or not and best places to view it. Also tell me if you are going or watching it on tv.

Thanksgiving Day Parade on Parade - Macy's
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,578,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Is anyone going to the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade. Tell me if you like the parade or not and best places to view it. Also tell me if you are going or watching it on tv.

Thanksgiving Day Parade on Parade - Macy's
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of the best parts of that Parade actually occur the night before on CPW West in the 80's where many families go with their kids to see the ballons, etc., in preliminary stages, readying themselves for the big event on Thursday.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM

726 posts, read 2,270,290 times
Last time I went was in '03. I stopped going, I think its boring.
Plus, its been really cold these past weeks.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Last time I went was in '03. I stopped going, I think its boring.
Plus, its been really cold these past weeks.
It's amazing though that I've seen families go on Wednesday night in subzero temps here on the UWS to see those balloons the night before.

I think it's really all about the glee in a child's heart, that level of fantasy that one enjoys in life only as a kid, and unfortunately, for only such a short span.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM

726 posts, read 2,270,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
It's amazing though that I've seen families go on Wednesday night in subzero temps here on the UWS to see those balloons the night before.

I think it's really all about the glee in a child's heart, that level of fantasy that one enjoys in life only as a kid, and unfortunately, for only such a short span.
Yes I agree, its a good event for the kids and families. Thats a great thing.
I dont know how some people do it, in that cold weather though, and this November its been really cold here.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Yes I agree, its a good event for the kids and families. Thats a great thing.
I dont know how some people do it, in that cold weather though, and this November its been really cold here.
I do agree that the cold weather can be a deterrent for some - like me. I live on the UWS and have never actually gone to the prelim celbrations myself but have observed the heightened security presence, cars, trucks, hordes of families spilling out on to the streets of the UWS in the 70's to 80's (streets) in the old days when I would hang out at a nearby bar on Columbus and 84th.

Of course, I gave up that that imbibing and became a CD poster instead - but looking through my window on cold fall evenings similar to this year's, I still usually see kids and their parents merrily strolling along to the festivities.

God bless them and kudos to Macy's for this wonderful tradition for kids!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,625,558 times
Yes I have to take family. I really don't feel like it. It is so cold outside.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
I don't think many local NYers go to the parade unless they have a little kid. I went when I was like 3 years old. That was enough for me and for my parents, lol. If you see teenagers/adults there, it's most likely tourists.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think many local NYers go to the parade unless they have a little kid. I went when I was like 3 years old. That was enough for me and for my parents, lol. If you see teenagers/adults there, it's most likely tourists.
Very True!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
I tend to have a really good long-term memory, so I remember many things from when I was 3 years old...but I don't remember the parade at all. It must not have been anything that memorable, so no point in going back really, lol. Well, until I have kids. I'll take them once, that's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City