Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,936 times

Advertisements

Another black shopper was tackled by four cops when she left the store with her purchase.

So Barneys is lying that they had nothing to do with calling the cops, because she said the cops were asking her questions, while on the phone with someone from the store.

They also asked her what was she doing in Manhattan (I guess she didn't see the sign "No Negroes Allowed") and how she could afford it.

2nd black shopper: Barneys is racist | New York Post
Quote:

Another young black Barneys customer came forward Wednesday to say she had been racially profiled by snooty store clerks after making a pricey purchase.

Brooklyn resident Kayla Phillips, 21, had a déjà vu moment when she saw news coverage of a black, 19-year-old Queens student who was cuffed by cops after buying a $350 designer belt at Barneys.

Phillips told The Post she had a chillingly similar encounter with police after leaving the Madison Avenue shopping mecca in February with a $2,500 Céline handbag she’d just splurged on.

“As I was walking into the train station, four undercover police officers attacked me,” Phillips said.

“They asked me why I used a debit card and why it didn’t have my name on it,” she said of her temporary Bank of America card.

A frightened Phillips called her mom, who told The Post cops had asked, “What are you doing here in Manhattan? Where’d you get the money to buy that expensive bag?”

Her mother, Wendy Straker, said the police were clearly on the phone with a Barneys rep who was feeding them information about her daughter’s transaction.

When she showed police her ID and her new debit card, which had arrived in the mail that morning, they let her go.

I predict there will MORE lawsuits coming after this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,311,276 times
Messed up.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
This is looking pretty bad. Hope Barneys has some good lawyers because they are going to need them.

As an aside, I guess Kayla's experience was so negative that she never would go shopping after that. She certainly needs some decent maternity clothes. Or wait, is this what young expectant mothers are wearing these days and I am the one who is the last to know?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is looking pretty bad. Hope Barneys has some good lawyers because they are going to need them.

As an aside, I guess Kayla's experience was so negative that she never would go shopping after that. She certainly needs some decent maternity clothes. Or wait, is this what young expectant mothers are wearing these days and I am the one who is the last to know?
LOL! I dunno, it seems like many pregnant women don't want to purchase cute maternity clothes anymore.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LOL! I dunno, it seems like many pregnant women don't want to purchase cute maternity clothes anymore.
Maybe they see it as throwing money away, just as I would see spending $2500 on a purse as throwing money away.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 PM

268 posts, read 481,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Another black shopper was tackled by four cops when she left the store with her purchase.

So Barneys is lying that they had nothing to do with calling the cops, because she said the cops were asking her questions, while on the phone with someone from the store.

They also asked her what was she doing in Manhattan (I guess she didn't see the sign "No Negroes Allowed") and how she could afford it.

2nd black shopper: Barneys is racist | New York Post

I predict there will MORE lawsuits coming after this.
Der dey go!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 AM

916 posts, read 2,248,831 times
What a PR nightmare for both the NYPD and Barneys. But I think this case is a little different compared to
the young black guy's case. There was no excuse for the cops to arrest Trayon Christian once he proved
the purchase of the belt with receipt, ID and debit card.

They actually have a legitimate concern with people buying high priced items with a no name temporary
card here. That's a reasonable red flag no mater what race was doing the purchase, it's more like a fraud
profiling prevention rather than racial profiling in this case. And she didn't get arrested once they check
out her information. But since the NYPD and Barneys probably wanted to do a quick damage control and
fearing more negative publicity, she may win the lawsuit or settle for a nice price riding the bandwagon of
Trayon Christian.

I know I said people sometimes indulge themselves with expensive items no matter the price. We
shouldn't be judging, but $2,500 for a bag? Cough.... cough......... Go to Canal Street woman!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
What a PR nightmare for both the NYPD and Barneys. But I think this case is a little different compared to
the young black guy's case. There was no excuse for the cops to arrest Trayon Christian once he proved
the purchase of the belt with receipt, ID and debit card.

They actually have a legitimate concern with people buying high priced items with a no name temporary
card here. That's a reasonable red flag no mater what race was doing the purchase, it's more like a fraud
profiling prevention rather than racial profiling in this case. And she didn't get arrested once they check
out her information. But since the NYPD and Barneys probably wanted to do a quick damage control and
fearing more negative publicity, she may win the lawsuit or settle for a nice price riding the bandwagon of
Trayon Christian.

I know I said people sometimes indulge themselves with expensive items no matter the price. We
shouldn't be judging, but $2,500 for a bag? Cough.... cough......... Go to Canal Street woman!
Well, its her money, she should be able to spend her $$$$$ on whatever she pleases. NYC is full of expensive chains. Barney's, Saks, Century 21, Bloomingdale's, among others.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,103,560 times
I think this is just a media created story. A very young person who probably doesn't look like a person of means buys a $2,500 item with a debit card with no name on it. The only thing I think should have been differently is the store should have held up the purchase rather than letting her buy it and then sending cops after her. Maybe they could have a policy on not accepting nameless debit cards over a certain dollar amount. I have a nameless debit card from Citibank, and Redbox refuses to accept it because it doesn't pass its verification procedures. I called Citibank and they said it's up to the merchant whether they accept the debit card and there is nothing they can do about it. Should I scream racism?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think this is just a media created story. A very young person who probably doesn't look like a person of means buys a $2,500 item with a debit card with no name on it. The only thing I think should have been differently is the store should have held up the purchase rather than letting her buy it and then sending cops after her. Maybe they could have a policy on not accepting nameless debit cards over a certain dollar amount. I have a nameless debit card from Citibank, and Redbox refuses to accept it because it doesn't pass its verification procedures. I called Citibank and they said it's up to the merchant whether they accept the debit card and there is nothing they can do about it. Should I scream racism?
This story was in the press because a Black college student recently got arrested after he paid for an expensive belt at Barney's, with his own credit card. So because that got big headlines, anything similar will make the news. Basically, Barney's is going to have to deal with bad PR and retrain its staff.

At the most, if the ID and the credit card have matching names, there should be no problem. If it was just a nameless debit card, the store can simply say we can't process this (and the lady would have just left the store).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City