Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM

675 posts, read 1,258,232 times

Advertisements

Nothing like growing up eating fried bake with saltfish with a glass of kool-aid for breakfast then a plate of spaghetti and meatballs with a glass of mauby for dinner. Meanwhile music from artists as diverse as Lord Kitch, Roy Ayers, Queen, Shadow, Kurtis Blow, Marvin Gaye, Evelyn Champagne King, Super Blue, Bob James (I can go on forever) play in the background.

Best of both worlds, lovely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Have you been to a third world country? Some of these people are from communities far poorer than our ghettos, mind you. Crime and low class behavior does not begin and end with poor neighborhoods in NYC. There are low class communities in the rural US and in certain suburbs as well.

This thread was going very well and being insightful, but yet the person had to go and talk about "ghetto" AAs trying to cause some "divide and conquer" type mess. There are plenty of assimilated WIs living in poor areas just as they are in other spectrums. Biggie was most definitely from a poor area of BK and he's not an aberration.

Regardless of this fact, this is not what Bajan was referring to when creating the thread and everyone else seemed to get that as well, except THIS person.

The poster is a CLOWN. Really. They are.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,565,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Nothing like growing up eating fried bake with saltfish with a glass of kool-aid for breakfast then a plate of spaghetti and meatballs with a glass of mauby for dinner. Meanwhile music from artists as diverse as Lord Kitch, Roy Ayers, Queen, Shadow, Kurtis Blow, Marvin Gaye, Evelyn Champagne King, Super Blue, Bob James (I can go on forever) play in the background.

Best of both worlds, lovely...
LOL!!! Mauby, man that stuff was bitter when I had it as a kid. My pops used to drink it sometimes.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,026,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This thread was going very well and being insightful, but yet the person had to go and talk about "ghetto" AAs trying to cause some "divide and conquer" type mess. There are plenty of assimilated WIs living in poor areas just as they are in other spectrums. Biggie was most definitely from a poor area of BK and he's not an aberration.

Regardless of this fact, this is not what Bajan was referring to when creating the thread and everyone else seemed to get that as well, except THIS person.

The poster is a CLOWN. Really. They are.
That's an insult to CLOWNS. Best to use the more accurate word. TROLL! As in the hideous creatures living under the bridge.

Back to the issue at hand, most AAs I know in NYC have some sort of Caribbean or Latin connection. You may have relatives who married and have children with someone from the Caribbean or Latin America. Many AAs go on vacation to the Caribbean or Latin America, sometimes as guest of their friends who are Caribbean or Latin.

Most Black neighborhoods in the city will be full of all kinds of Blacks, and it doesn't matter whether the Black neighborhood is poor, working class, or middle class. Here in the North Bronx I know AAs, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Sengalese, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans (afro latino) among many others.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM

675 posts, read 1,258,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
LOL!!! Mauby, man that stuff was bitter when I had it as a kid. My pops used to drink it sometimes.
Yea I insisted that moms add some sugar to it. I preferred sorrel actually, especially the Shandy Sorrell

Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Yea I insisted that moms add some sugar to it. I preferred sorrel actually, especially the Shandy Sorrell
Shandy?! Oh god, you got me nostalgic for my childhood now. Could always count on that at my aunt & uncle's get togethers in Queens.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,945,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's an insult to CLOWNS. Best to use the more accurate word. TROLL! As in the hideous creatures living under the bridge.

Back to the issue at hand, most AAs I know in NYC have some sort of Caribbean or Latin connection. You may have relatives who married and have children with someone from the Caribbean or Latin America. Many AAs go on vacation to the Caribbean or Latin America, sometimes as guest of their friends who are Caribbean or Latin.

Most Black neighborhoods in the city will be full of all kinds of Blacks, and it doesn't matter whether the Black neighborhood is poor, working class, or middle class. Here in the North Bronx I know AAs, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Sengalese, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans (afro latino) among many others.
Evidence that, as was suggested some time ago by several other posters, that Marilyn220 and this person are the same poster.

In any case, what we have seen in our families - assimilation into like professional and social groups, country of origin, and even race, notwithstanding.

Again I would say, too many trolls here now.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,945,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I don't think BajanYankee was leading into that at all. There are different kinds of American lifestyles and many first generation, usually, adapt to the one that is prominent in the neighborhood they live in. I would not say WI assimilate into any black neighborhood simply because they are the same skin color, but despite the differences in the culture, many first generation WI adapt to the political and social standings of AAs because of the matter that we are still treated the same and go through similar struggles because of our skin.
Leading into what ?

I do not agree with the last point ... people go through similar struggles given social and cultural facts, which are not a constant.

Yes, there are class differences among black people ! big ones.

Globalization is also a very real factor, although that also depends on professional involvements.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Evidence that, as was suggested some time ago by several other posters, that Marilyn220 and this person are the same poster.
You're saying that me and NYWriterdude are one and the same??? LMFAOOOO!!!!!!

You are a passive/aggressive person that likes to talk slick *ish out the side of your face. You're a COWARD. You probably work for the NYPD Highway Patrol who were nowhere to be found during the beatdown of those bikers.

I don't like you. You know this. But I'm going to keep reiterating it every time you "indirectly" refer to me in any manner.

Quote:
In any case, what we have seen in our families - assimilation into like professional and social groups, country of origin, and even race, notwithstanding.
You're a liar. You have no black friends. Only the ones you see in passing or begging on the street for change.

Quote:
Again I would say, too many trolls here now.
Passive/aggressive = Coward or Punk.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Leading into what ?

I do not agree with the last point ... people go through similar struggles given social and cultural facts, which are not a constant.

Yes, there are class differences among black people ! big ones.

Globalization is also a very real factor, although that also depends on professional involvements.
Uh, you made a comment about WIs integrating into ghetto communities because of the color of their skin. And I countered that saying that's not what the threadstarter was trying to say.

As far as you not agreeing with my last statement, that's fine. I still stand by it: looking through history has shown that a great number of first generation adopt the political and social attitudes of AAs in general. Of course, there are many nuances and differences as well because AAs have been in this country for centuries.

You stated exactly what I was saying about class differences. There are different American lifestyles including for black people, so I'm not sure why you mentioned ghetto in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City