Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,440,147 times

Advertisements

as a second generation west indian american i would say yes. however, there are some distinctions, the only difference between us and african americans are the food, music, and sometimes language. but after the second generation west indians are fully assimilated to african american culture. i have a good friend whose family came to Harlem from the Virgin Islands in the 20s and though he considers himself to be of Caribbean descent they are fully "African-Americanized"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:51 PM

i also feel that you guys are understated the "Caribbeanness" of those rappers like Busta Heavy D, and Biggie

Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
as a second generation west indian american i would say yes. however, there are some distinctions, the only difference between us and african americans are the food, music, and sometimes language. but after the second generation west indians are fully assimilated to african american culture. i have a good friend whose family came to Harlem from the Virgin Islands in the 20s and though he considers himself to be of Caribbean descent they are fully "African-Americanized"
Agreed. The only thing that would perhaps allow me to pick out someone of West Indian descent immediately is surname. Braithwaite, Holder, Alleyne, Barrow, Sealy, Henry, Francis, Richards, Walcott, Cumberpatch, Joseph, Mapp, Persaud, Ramlochansingh, etc. In some cases, hair texture may provide a clue as well.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Agreed. The only thing that would perhaps allow me to pick out someone of West Indian descent immediately is surname. Braithwaite, Holder, Alleyne, Barrow, Sealy, Henry, Francis, Richards, Walcott, Cumberpatch, Joseph, Mapp, Persaud, Ramlochansingh, etc. In some cases, hair texture may provide a clue as well.
Don't forget Leroy

Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,566,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
i also feel that you guys are understated the "Caribbeanness" of those rappers like Busta Heavy D, and Biggie
I would agree. Those 3 in particular have given shot outs to their Jamaican heritage many times throughout their career.

Interesting observation: I mentioned in my previous post how there are 2 sides of the spectrum when it comes to maintaining their heritage. Now this is only my observation, but when it comes to Jamaicans I've seen many who are either on one side or the other. It's not often I know one in the middle. You got a lot of first gen Jamaicans who speak patois fluently, listen to nothing but dancehall & reggae, and always got a representation of their flag & they were born and raised in the US! Then, on the other side, I know Jamaicans who were either born or raised in Jamaica for some time, but you would NEVER know it because they assimilated so much into American culture. This isn't facts though, just what I've seen in my relations.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,955,271 times
Choice three: They assimilate into those cultural groups that include people with whom they have the most in common professionally and, usually, economically.

Do I think West Indians assimilate into ghetto communities because they have a similar skin color ?

No. I have not seen this.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,566,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Choice three: They assimilate into those cultural groups that include people with whom they have the most in common professionally and, usually, economically.

Do I think West Indians assimilate into ghetto communities because they have a similar skin color ?

I don't think BajanYankee was leading into that at all. There are different kinds of American lifestyles and many first generation, usually, adapt to the one that is prominent in the neighborhood they live in. I would not say WI assimilate into any black neighborhood simply because they are the same skin color, but despite the differences in the culture, many first generation WI adapt to the political and social standings of AAs because of the matter that we are still treated the same and go through similar struggles because of our skin.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,049,974 times
Quote:

Nobody mentioned the "ghetto".

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,049,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I don't think BajanYankee was leading into that at all. There are different kinds of American lifestyles and many first generation, usually, adapt to the one that is prominent in the neighborhood they live in. I would not say WI assimilate into any black neighborhood simply because they are the same skin color, but despite the differences in the culture, many first generation WI adapt to the political and social standings of AAs because of the matter that we are still treated the same and go through similar struggles because of our skin.
The poster you're responding to only sees two types of blacks in this city.

Throughout this entire thread no one mentioned "ghetto", except this person.

Pay them NO MIND.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times
Quote:

Have you been to a third world country? Some of these people are from communities far poorer than our ghettos, mind you. Crime and low class behavior does not begin and end with poor neighborhoods in NYC. There are low class communities in the rural US and in certain suburbs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City