Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 679 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Here's the story, that's confusing me.

My girlfriend's grandmother is giving her her car. Here are the issues and questions I have.

- The car (and grandmother) is in Arkansas.
- My girlfriend has a California Drivers License.

1. I assume my girlfriend needs to get a New York State License? Is it as simple as switching it over, or does she need to retake the test? She is 31 years old, and the license is not expired.

2. We will be flying down to Arkansas, spending a couple of days there, and driving the car back up to New York. So what do we need to do in order to transfer ownership and legally drive the car back? Specifically, what order do we need to do the necessary steps?

- Do we buy insurance first? How do we do that without having the car yet? What information do we need about the car?
*My main concern is making sure we can get everything we need done before we fly down, and figuring out what we need the grandmother to do.

- Which DMV do we need to work with? Arkansas while we are down there, or New York?
- When do we get plates? Will we be flying down with them?
- What else should we be concerned about/ready for?

Any and all information/help would be greatly appreciated!

And PLEASE, speak to me like a child, I won't take offense. Assume I know NOTHING, because that's pretty much the truth. Neither of us have had a car since we were teenagers, and our parents took care of it all.

Thanks!
-Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:56 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,094,740 times
I'm not an expert but I don't think a person needs a NYS drivers license to buy a car in NY. If your GF is going to drive in NY she is expected to get a NY drivers license. It seems like all that is require is some paperwork:
NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

If the car is legally registered and insured in Arkansas just drive it to NY under that registration and insurance and transfer ownership when you get the car to NY. If it was a NY registered car you would need a signed title certificate and a bill of sale to register it in NY. If it is not currently registered in Arkansas you will have to get the transfer of title done first and get insurance as well. Call the NYS DMV and just ask what paperwork is needed to register an out of state car in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City