Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 PM

24 posts, read 107,401 times

Advertisements

Might be best answered by bus operators. I have a MTA card which has a dollar amount on it. If I swipe this on a bus, do you have the option to print out a transfer, or is my only option to use my same metro card to transfer?

Background:
I got on the Q70 at LGA, and patron behind me asked bus driver where to put money on his card. Driver asked where he was going as he was just going to give him a free ride. Person responded that he needed to wait for the m60. Driver asked if he had coins, and person said only a $5 bill, bus driver responded, then you are "screwed". He then presses a button which prints out a ride ticket, gives it to the person and says "Welcome to New York". I jokingly say to the person next to me, I hope that wasn't my transfer.

Sure enough, when I get to the subway station 15 minutes later, swiping my card charges me another $2.50. I suppose it's possible I swiped away my transfer accidentally, as the only other possibility here. But more likely, the bus driver just figured I wouldn't notice I didn't get a transfer, as I doubt they have the ability to randomly "print" free rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Paper transfers are given to bus riders who pay cash. They can only be used to transfer to another bus.
You can't get in the subway with those.
Pay per ride Metrocards give riders 2 hours from their initial swipe to transfer to any bus or subway.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 AM

24 posts, read 107,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Paper transfers are given to bus riders who pay cash. They can only be used to transfer to another bus.
You can't get in the subway with those.
Pay per ride Metrocards give riders 2 hours from their initial swipe to transfer to any bus or subway.
Can this paper transfer be printed if I swipe my card that has cash value on it (not unlimited)? Does the bus driver have an option to print a "free" ride at will?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I've seen bus drivers give transfers. Sometimes people forget to ask for one and go back to the driver after they paid the fare in cash. Some drivers give people a hard time about it and some just do it without saying anything. So, yes, they can print a transfer but whether they choose to or not is another question.

If you're using a metrocard, it will automatically give you the transfer so most likely the bus driver will not print you a paper transfer.

Edit--It has happened to me MANY times where I use my metrocard on the bus and when I transfer to the subway it takes another fare instead of the transfer. It's happened maybe once or twice when I used it on the subway first and then transferred to the bus. The printing out the paper transfer should not have affected your card because the transfers go on the metrocard automatically when the fare is paid in full (or reduced amount). If you use your metrocard for partial payment you do not automatically get a transfer--did you use your metro card for full payment or partial?

Last edited by bellakin123; 01-30-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Zamees,

Plain and simple, you got screwed out $2.50: it happens.
I have just learned to stop getting apoplectic about it and apportion it out as an added cost pro-rated over times I am properly charged.
If it is of any comfort to you, I am seeing it happen fewer and fewer times lately. Perhaps the MTA hired a few service people who actually understand how the machines are supposed to work.

Quote:

Pay per ride Metrocards give riders 2 hours from their initial swipe to
transfer to any bus or subway.
Keep it under your hat, but you get at least 2 hours and 18 minutes...shhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City