Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,887,155 times

Advertisements

Part of my lease stated I need to have renters insurance, fine, I got that. However now the person who owns my unit says HE and the Management company need to be ON the actual policy. I called my insurance company and they said he can only be listed as an interested party. I'm not sure what to do. He said if I do not fix this he will begin the eviction process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:25 AM

25,508 posts, read 37,479,442 times
I was told by my insurer that the "interested Party" designation means they will be informed if you drop or change your policy. I needed it for my co-op and the managing company. That was good enough for my co-op.

My first thought was "why am I insuring OTHERS" but that's not the case.

That insurance requirement still has me bristling though. Why should I be forced to insure my property?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

My first thought was "why am I insuring OTHERS" but that's not the case.
That's what i said too! My land lord won't accept interested party however.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,108,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
That's what i said too! My land lord won't accept interested party however.
Pack your stuff and find another place to live.

There is no reason why he should be listed as anything other than "interested party".

Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM

107,697 posts, read 110,593,756 times
they want to make sure you have renters insurance since any damages you caused they at least can sue your insurance company for.'

they also want to make sure you have insurance so they dont get dragged into a law suit that is caused by others.

as an example a pipe under the sink in my sons co-op broke and flooded 2 apartments below. the tenants tried to sue my son for damage that was done to personal items.

since it wasnt the fault of my son or work he did each person had to collect from their own insurance company and the co-op would take care of the pipe and the ceilings. . the person who lived 2 levels below was a renter who was renting the co-op from an owner and the renter had no renters insurance. he tried to sue the owner of the apartment as well as my son and lost .

people with no renters insurance try to sue everyone if something happens and having your own policy you can collct on is a big issue.

they really should only be an interested party though.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

If I try to ad someone they ask me for their social security number. And I have had a few insurance companies flat out tell me that they will not add someone for anything except an interested party. I am very confused as are my parents.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM

18,596 posts, read 31,947,303 times
No, if it is your insurance, (which you really should have) do not include the owners name on it. It is not his, he should have insurance on the unit itself, which he probably does.

Your insurance will cover your belongings, not the walls or kitchen cabinets, his will do that. The buildings insurance will include replacing the electrical, plumbing pipes, windows and stuff like that.

No, I would not include your LL on any of you personal paperwork. Do not do that, no matter what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City