Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 24,759 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this question has already been answered, although I didnt find anything on it. I currently live in Denver, so I am fairly clueless to the NY transit system and its routes, travel times, etc. I am most likely moving to Williamsburg or somewhere near it that is pet friendly, as I have a large labrador and was told Manahattan wouldnt be a good fit for a big dog. I got a job offer that is located in Englewood, NJ. Would the commute be absolute hell, expensive, worth the anguish if any. My income is going to be cutting it close for the expenses this city requires, enough to get by though. But my main question is, how long would the commute be, is it worth it to look for a place in the brooklyn area (where I want to live), or try and find a place to live in Englewood, which I know absolutely nothing about? Any input, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated, as I really do not know much about this area in general. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There are LOTS of big dogs in Manhattan - however buildings that will rent to dog owners (I'm assuming you want to rent) are very expensive. ANY building in NYC that allows dogs is going to be more expensive. But that commute, even if you drove in your own car, won't be a good one. Or a cheap one. Why not live in New Jersey?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Im not against living in Englewood, I just dont know anything about it. I am willing to move there at this point in time, would just like to get some people's opinions about it who have lived or visited there.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Englewood is nicer now than it was a few years ago. They put up some new residential buildings, and the downtown is walkable. You can get a bus either to Port Authority, or the GWB terminal.

Where will you be working in Englewood, NJ if you do not mind me asking?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:35 PM

NJ,

Thanks for the info, this is the address of the office, 133 Engle Street
Englewood, NJ 07631. I am assuming that its probably downtown englewood? Do you have any idea the length of time that commute requires from Brooklyn?

Thanks again

Old 12-15-2007, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 89,710 times
MOVE TO NJ ---- why live in brooklyn?? I"m in NJ, and just took a job in Brooklyn, the commute will be tough, but the $$$ is worth it.

Plenty of nice towns in Bergen County NJ, close to Englewood. Try Dumont, Bergenfield, Leonia, Teaneck

And there is plenty of public transpo in bergen county nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby99 View Post
NJ,

Thanks for the info, this is the address of the office, 133 Engle Street
Englewood, NJ 07631. I am assuming that its probably downtown englewood? Do you have any idea the length of time that commute requires from Brooklyn?

Thanks again

Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 89,697 times
Newby,

www.hopstop.com should be a helpful resource on what subways/buses you can take to get around NYC..

As your 'end' destination, type in 4211 Broadway, which is the George Washington Bridge bus station.. you would then take that to wherever you need to get in Englewood. I think it's about an hour to get from Williamsburg to the station.. so add that on top of the NJ public transit time you would have to get to your location..

Hope this helps. I myself am considering going to Englewood Cliffs for a job later on next year .. if anyone can help me out with regards to neighborhood/apt suggestions, please reply here...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...iving-nyc.html

Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 89,710 times
see my post above for neighborhoods

if you want more "upscale" neighborhoods, look at northern bergen county.....
If enthnicty is a concern.... well, very multi cultural in nj....

Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM

To all those who have replied to my post, thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. I will look into all your suggestions. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: