Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM

22 posts, read 46,457 times

Advertisements

We're coming from out of state, so a lot of help is needed on understanding the NYC school system and different neighborhoods in the area. I have just moved to the city with my new job, my husband and kid will move in the winter time frame.

My son is 4 years old, turning 5 in the winter. We believe he's smart, like most of the parents out there, so we do plan on having him take the gifted and talented exam.
So first question: any advice re this process? my research on NYS dept of edu tells me that the request for testing deadline is beginning of Nov. I would assume I should start checking the dept of edu website for the form to become available sometime in Oct? Any insight/tip into this process/preparation is much appreciated.

Second question is: If my 4-year old doesn't do well on the gifted and talented exam. Then what are the suggestions for private vs public. How expensive are private schools for K-5? i'm sure there are a range of costs depends on the schools, what are the pros and cons of the more expensive vs. something a middle class could afford. If there are existing threads on this, please post a link too. For Public school choices, this then relates to my fourth question below, which is housing. If there are threads on this topic, please share.

Third question is re the school system. I came across a great post by 'Henry10' on middle school and high school being Hierarchical ( a lot of testing, prepping by tutors, professionals and/or at home, scores, disappointments, no summer vacations etc. ) , and why we need to think about the middle school and high school when my son is 4 years old. Would like to know if there's a particular area in the city (i.e. Upper East Manhattan?) where the good tutor/prep courses take place. this info will then impact our decision on which neighborhood we should be looking at (my next question below). From what i've read, you have to prep for the exam to middle school, and the exam to high school. How intense are these prep courses? i'm sure it varies, but for an ambitious kid and parents who wants the kid to be best prepared for schools like Stuy, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech or Hunter. For the parents who have successfully send their kids to these schools, How rigorous were the prep courses, how many hours a week did your kid put in and you put in, etc. What are your advices from your experience in this ordeal?

Last question is re housing, neighborhood. we've been looking around Elmhurst, Rego Park and Forest Hill. we r looking to buy. Homes in these area have been very hot in the past couple months. especially two family homes that gets sold within a week of listing. personally, i feel like housing bubble all over again, but i digressed. I've just starting looking around Brooklyn and researching on which neighborhoods should be considered in brooklyn. I work in downtown manhattan, my husband may end up in midtown (still tbd on that). budget is 800k for 2 family (preferred) and 650k for 1 family. could go a little higher for the right home with bigger sq ft. From research, it seems Bay ridge and Dyker Heights, but these are far from the city. If i try to stay north, which areas should i be looking at? As far as budget goes, i know it's on the low end, so we may even end up renting instead, especially if the housing price keep on raising at the current rate.

I know this post is way too long, but i also wanted to give as much background as possible so that hopefully my questions make sense and can be easily answered. Thank you so much for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,657,969 times
You sounded like an Asian parent. They often prepare their kids for Stuyvesant before K. You can get lots of news and info from schoolbook.org and gothamschools.org. I can't answer your specific questions. Wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: