Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 45,539 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently debating between staying in Brooklyn and moving to NJ. I work in NJ and he works in midtown manhattan. One big factor is schooling as we have a 1 year old. We can't afford private school so we need to be able to send her to public school. Does anyone have any input or advice on how the public schools are in the city, specifically Brooklyn - Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope areas. I know that you are not guaranteed a certain school and there is a whole lottery system. Is it difficult on the kids to go through the system in terms of changing schools and applying for middle and high school? Are we better off in the suburbs in terms of schools? Please help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Nyc public schools leave a lot to be desired. You're better off in the suburbs. I can't speak for the schools in Nj but maybe someone else has more info on that.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
With the exception of a few especially overcrowded districts in Manhattan and Queens (and maybe in Brooklyn, but I dont know the stuation there), your elementary school kid is guaranteed a spot in the locally zoned school. Aside from these exceptions, there are no waiting lists for elementary schools. Since most kids go to locally zoned schools, the bottom line is that demographics equal destiny. With few exceptions the elementary schools in stable affluent and middle-class areas are fine--and sometimes even better than the public gifted-and-talented programs that require testing -- while schools in poor neighborhoods are generally crappy.

The real worry for parents I think begins at the middle school level, and especially at the high school level, where there are many more options, depending on where you live, and it can become freighteningly competitive and uncertain to secure a good education for your kids. That's the time when many folks decamp for the 'burbs or go private.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 45,539 times
Thank you so much for the input. I appreciate your advice!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 13,976 times
Brooklyn is overcrouded, too. I don't know about Park Slope, but other areas don't look promising. Everybody who can afford privet school, do so. My daughter went to a very good Mill Basin elementary school, even there I was shocked when I was told how I have to feed my daughter. Everything they are trying to ban now, was a must in schools back in 90s and beginning of 2000s.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
With the exception of a few especially overcrowded districts in Manhattan and Queens (and maybe in Brooklyn, but I dont know the stuation there), your elementary school kid is guaranteed a spot in the locally zoned school. Aside from these exceptions, there are no waiting lists for elementary schools. Since most kids go to locally zoned schools, the bottom line is that demographics equal destiny. With few exceptions the elementary schools in stable affluent and middle-class areas are fine--and sometimes even better than the public gifted-and-talented programs that require testing -- while schools in poor neighborhoods are generally crappy.

The real worry for parents I think begins at the middle school level, and especially at the high school level, where there are many more options, depending on where you live, and it can become freighteningly competitive and uncertain to secure a good education for your kids. That's the time when many folks decamp for the 'burbs or go private.
yep... options open up starting from middle school and high school.
you can apply to schools outside of your zone and this why you will see hs kids subwaying from brooklyn to bronx and what not.

middles school, hunter is one school with where your kid will need to score a certain score on a standardized test gain admissions

stuyvesent, brooklyn tech and bronx schools are the infamous "specialized high school" where again, a standardized test is required.

these schools are highly competitive as these students are the creme de la creme of all NYC public schools

i always warn ppl regarding these schools. yes they are excellent schools and your kid will get an excellent education but if you remember when you started applying for colleges, they require you be in the top % of your graduating class

Often you are shooting yourself in the foot by sending them to these schools. your kid might have been in the top 10% of his/her graduating class in their perspective locally zoned school. but by sending them to these specialzed high school, because of their competitive nature, your kid might not make that top 10%. something to think about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: