Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I'm a 33-year-old guy from Toronto who is in love with a city and would do anything to live there. I dream New York....literally, and I want a modest life there, doing what I love - teaching. I teach in inner-city schools, places no other teacher wants to teach in. Learning is my passion, and teaching young people that no one else wants to bother with is what I do. I have duel US/Canadian citizenship, speak fluent Spanish, and have ten years teaching experience, including ESL.
I know teaching jobs for people outside the math and science fields were scarce not long ago, and I'm wondering if this is still the case. If any teachers living in New York could respond to my post with some information, I'd love to get some info. I can also teach in Catholic schools. Please let me know what my prospects would be like these days. How should I go about applying for a job?

Thanks guys (and girls),

TORiqueno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Hey all!

I'm a 33-year-old guy from Toronto who is in love with a city and would do anything to live there. I dream New York....literally, and I want a modest life there, doing what I love - teaching. I teach in inner-city schools, places no other teacher wants to teach in. Learning is my passion, and teaching young people that no one else wants to bother with is what I do. I have duel US/Canadian citizenship, speak fluent Spanish, and have ten years teaching experience, including ESL.
I know teaching jobs for people outside the math and science fields were scarce not long ago, and I'm wondering if this is still the case. If any teachers living in New York could respond to my post with some information, I'd love to get some info. I can also teach in Catholic schools. Please let me know what my prospects would be like these days. How should I go about applying for a job?

Thanks guys (and girls),

TORiqueno
Public schools: http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/default.htm
The teaching fellow thing is not a bad idea, but the pay is low.

The privates post in different places.

You did not mention credentials ...? As in those that support certification.
Do you have graduate credits ?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM

170 posts, read 323,115 times
* - Applying and Getting Hired - New York City Department of Education
http://www.uft.org/teaching/job-opportunities
http://schools.nyc.gov/Careers/default.htm

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM

241 posts, read 373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
If you are not a citizen or green card holder, you will need sponsorship, which will be a factor for public schools.
He said he is.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
He said he is.
Yes, I noticed that after - rather rushed lately.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Thank-you for your responses!

As for certification, I have a four-year BA from one of Canada's best universities, and my teaching degree from the same university. In Canada, teaching certification is a little different from NY state in that you receive the same training for the same length of time, but NY calls it an MA, and in Canada it's called a B.ed - bachelor of education. So an MA from Ontario would actually be the equivalent study of a PH.d in NY.

Regarding salary and place of employment, what options do I have. What are the various schools boards in NYC? How do salaries compare between public board and private schools. I prefer to teach in public schools, of course. What about health insurance, pension and all that?

I can live on a small salary. I'm single. Don't have kids. I actually prefer living in a neighbourhood like Mount Hope, Longwood, Bushwick, Sunset Park compared to Manhattan, so rent should be pretty decent. The real question is, are there any jobs for a teacher of English, history, Spanish, ESL, humanities.

Thank-you all

TORiqueno

Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
There were new teachers at my school this year and last year ,so there is hiring going on despite what a lot of people think.If you have the right attitude and work your butt off looking you will probably find a spot.

The starting salary with NYC DOE is pretty low but if you survive for 5 years or so it gets better.Still very low though compared to regional school districts.Hiring is done mostly by principals of individual schools.

So yes,there are jobs but finding one will be a challenge.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There were new teachers at my school this year and last year ,so there is hiring going on despite what a lot of people think.If you have the right attitude and work your butt off looking you will probably find a spot.

The starting salary with NYC DOE is pretty low but if you survive for 5 years or so it gets better.Still very low though compared to regional school districts.Hiring is done mostly by principals of individual schools.

So yes,there are jobs but finding one will be a challenge.
I agree.
There is a lot of competition I think, but it is possible.
I went back to university teaching so I am not engaging the system actively.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM

Thank-you all for the information you've given me....it has given me hope. I know a lot of people come here saying they want to move to New York. I felt a connection with the city the first time I visited that I hadn't expected to. I lived a good life in a great city, but after I came to NYC for the first time, everything changed for me. It was like falling in love with the one woman in the world you know will make you happy. I have deep family roots in NYC. My grandfather made it through the depression working as an elevator mechanic in Harlem, my mom arrived as a young girl from Puerto Rico with some of the earlier PR transplants seeking work, met my father there, got married. I guess you could say that I wouldn't exist without NYC quite literally.

Now I dream of the city every night.

Thanks for your help.

Peace

TOkidd

Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM

115 posts, read 306,790 times
I don't know ANYONE, including myself, that has been able to find a teaching job in NYC over the last 3 years without having a special education certificate. So if you move here, be prepared to apply for dual certification. There are a lot of us unemployed English and history teachers without that certificate.

I do not want to teach special education, so I'm still stuck waiting tables. At least I make more than when I was working as a substitute teacher. I also do private tutoring on the side, which has actually gotten me more job interviews than working as a sub.

I know a guy who teaches in an alternative school for older students (17-20) that can't find a job in the NYC public schools. He is a great math teacher with the track record to prove it, and is head of the math department. Even he can't find a job.

This is a warning for those seeking teaching jobs. Just last week, I turned down a job that I was offered because I realized the NYC public schools are running a new scam to avoid paying a good salary and benefits.

I applied to a job that was supposed to be only twice a week teaching Regents Prep classes after school. That is what the ad said. I was able to work it around my restaurant schedule. After two interviews that went great, they offered me the job, but changed it around. It was now supposed to be Mon-Fri from 2-6. At my grade level, you teach five 45 minute periods a day, with 3 prep periods when you are full-time. Do the math, and it's the same thing as the job they tried to give me. So the point is that they tried to give me a full-time teaching job and disguised it as an "after-school" program. I would have had to do the same work and lesson planning as a full-time teacher, for much less money than I would be making at the restaurant.

So when they called to offer me the job, I politely declined and told them why. But I'm sure by now they found some other desperate sucker to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City