Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 16,414 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

Currently, I'm working on my Bachelor's degree in English Education at a university in Alabama. Upon graduation, I'll receive my AL state-certification.

I've had a really hard time trying to find information about attaining NY teaching certification. At one point in time, I read something about AL and NY being reciprocal states for certification, meaning I could (fairly) easily get my teaching certification in NY. Can any of you shed some light on this? What must I do to be NY state-certified?

I've wanted to teach in NYC for years... I reallywant something challenging and rewarding! I adapt well and I'm fairly frugal (probably essential in NYC).

Please tell me anything and everything you can think of pertaining to educators in NYC. Are you guys enjoying it? Where are you living? I'm very interested to know what areas I'll be able to afford on my teaching salary. Keep in mind that I'm not too needy; a small studio in a decent area would suit me well... But, I'm also not at all against rooming with someone else; I've done it for the last few years in college!

I've decided that I won't be taking a teaching position in AL... I'm too young to stay in one place for now.

Anyway, thanks guys! Sorry that my concerns are so broad, but I currently know virtually nothing about teaching in NYC. Please enlighten me!

Last edited by Oedipus2000; 02-28-2007 at 01:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
We NEED motivated teachers here in the city! I would suggest you contact the Department of Education (http://schools.nyc.gov/default.aspx) for information.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the link! I'm super motivated to teach! My Grandma, a 30-year English teacher, told me that teaching shouldn't just be thought of as a job or gig. Teaching must be your passion, your "calling," per se.

I'm choosing NYC because I want a challenge (hey, the city's awesome, too). I think teachers should strive to teach in the ares that desperately need them! Too many educators take the easy road of always picking quaint, affluent school districts. They wouldn't dream of moving to an inner-city school. I'm frustated with some of my fellow students for that, too.

I don't just want to teach... I want to be a positive impact on my students; I think too many teachers, due to their lack of motivation, don't encourage the students to reach for the stars.

Anyway, it's time to get off of the proverbial "soap-box." I'm just always passionate about my major. There's no other career for me.

Can anyone else throw any more help to me about salaries, schools, out-of-state certification. Almost anything you could tell me about teaching in NYC would be news to me!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
I don't know much... but salaries in New York are going to be a lot higher than in Alabama. At least from what I've heard, salaries start at $45k for NYC teachers, and top off at over $90k. I've heard that some suburban districts pay the most experienced teachers in excess of six figures! o_o

Anyway, as long as you're willing to make sacrafices (such as living in a studio or getting a roommate) you can most certainly afford to live here. There are many areas of Brooklyn and Queens that would be affordable enough for a teacher (you probably wouldn't need a roommate unless you were planning on living in Manhattan).

Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Check out TeachNY.com and you can get many of your questions answered for you. I would also suggest checking out the NY Times online and see where the openings are. You can look up the schools websites and get all the info you want on the neighborhoods.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 AM

137 posts, read 1,004,851 times
Go to this website:
http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/cer...irementHelp.do
you can apply online through the teach system. you will need to take the LAST and the CST English Language Arts. You will qualify for interstate reciprocity only if your AL certificate is Level II or above (this varies by state).
NYC has a citywide salary schedule, with just a BA you would be at step 1A: http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/280795AD-C184-4EA6-A78D-02A6CF754EEC/12738/certifiedteacherssch101.pdf (broken link)

The city is restructuring the regions, so once you get certified I would apply to individual schools. You can go to job fairs or just go see the principal. Most are there all summer (except 3 weeks in August). You can check out individual schools at www.insideschools.org

Also to teach in NYC you will eventually need to earn a masters degree, they give you a certain period of time to do it.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Eslteacher: I looked up the requirements for an "initial certificate" from the first website you listed... It's a little confusing for me! AL is on the reciprocity list, but I've no idea how I could confirm that my AL certificate is "Level II."

Here's what I found on that website:

"Applicants must hold a valid level 2 or higher certificate from a jurisdiction that has a reciprocity agreement with New York State. The certificate must be comparable to the New York State certificate sought. In addition, the applicant must have three years of teaching experience in the reciprocal jurisdiction within the seven years immediately preceding their New York application. At least two of those years must be in the subject area of the qualifying reciprocal certificate. Alternatively, the applicant could show completion of an approved teacher education program, in the subject sought, in the reciprocal jurisdiction."

All of this is a little confusing! I also stumbled upon some 'recruiting events' that tour the country. Atlanta's not a bad drive from here, so I'd like to research that a little more. Here's the link:

"http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/RecruitmentEvents/"

Thanks to everyone who's helped me!!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,851 times
If you are just graduating you probably don't qualify for reciprocity because you don't have the years of experience. You may, however, be able to obtain an initial certificate because of your coursework. If you apply NYS will evaluate whether the degree you earned in Alabama and the specific classes you took are comparable to a New York program. Most likely they will be.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,935 times
Default Masters of Science in Childhood Education in NYC

At Nyack College - 1 So. Boulevard, Nyack, NY 10960 - 800 876-9225 extension 4466 - you can obtain -

INITIAL CERTIFICATION

and...

Degrees Offered …

Masters of Science in Childhood Special Education
This master’s program is designed to prepare you for a self-contained special education classroom as a first or second teaching certificate. Students who complete the program will meet the New York State requirements for teacher certification in special education classrooms grades 1-6. A full time student can complete this program in as little as 12 months.
· 36-credit Master of Science
· 48-credits to be recommended for an initial teaching certificate
· Includes college-supervised Internship Experience
· 5-year B.S./M.S.Ed.
· Classes are offered at the Manhattan and Nyack, NY Campuses

Masters of Science in Childhood Education

This master’s program is designed to prepare you for a self-contained special education classroom as a first or second teaching certificate. Students who complete the program will meet the New York State requirements for teacher certification in special education classrooms grades 1-6. A full time student can complete this program in as little as 12 months.
· 36-credit Master of Science
· 42-credits to be recommended for an initial teaching certificate
· Includes college-supervised Internship Experience
· 5-year B.S./M.S.Ed.
· Classes are offered at the Manhattan and Nyack, NY Campuses

Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Oh... Thank you for the information, Ana.Santiago, but my degree will be in Secondary Education. Sorry about that.

I suppose that I will sign up for one of the "Teach NY" recruiting events in Atlanta during the Spring semester of my senior year. It appears that they'll evaluate my reciprocity and help me obtain the initial certificate to teach in NYC...

Thanks for all the help so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: