Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM

35 posts, read 84,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
OP keep your head up. No one and I mean no one, not even on this message board has lived an exemplary life. The only one I know of who has is Jesus. All have made mistakes, have made errors in judgement that's what you call life. We learn from our mistakes (hopefully) and move on.

Those programs are for people like yourself and me, I'm disabled. No one knows the path they'll have in life, sure we can plan and prepare but all the preparing and planning in the world doesn't always suffice. We all go through tests, and a lot of these people here may be going through a test of their own but you'll never know b/c they want everyone to believe they've conquered life. Don't concern yourself with that, it's not their place to judge you or anyone else. You have a lot of positives going for you, you're in school and working to change your situation, you're making good grades so keep that up. Your present situation is temporary so remember that. Don't further stress yourself out by presenting your pearls before swine.

Narcissism is rampant in this country and has attributed to some of the attitudes you see here. If you look up the background on narcissist people you'll find that these are the ones who are judgmental and non-empathic and have no compassion, they are self absorbed and only concerned with what happens to them in any situation. Run from these sort of people b/c they get off on causing misery to any and everyone around them all the while putting themselves on a pedestal.

You're already taking the necessary steps in helping yourself by reaching out here. You know the best way to handle the situation w/ your brother is/was avoidance, unfortunately he keeps provoking you into acting. Sure there are a lot of personalities like this in shelters and the best way to handle these sort of people is to avoid them.

As someone said earlier in the post that it's the attitude of this board to hate anyone receiving any sort of government assistance. In their mind you're just representative of what they see everyday so they attack. Heck I don't like seeing the fraud or laziness that goes on with a lot of these people but not all are like that. You're not like that, you are trying to make a way out of your hell. You've proven you're a strong person, keep being strong and don't stop even after you attain your degree.

So don't waste your time and energy trying to convince these people of anything.

I'll be happy to help answer some of the questions you presented so you can im me if you like.
WOW this really brought a tear to my eye and honestly it has lifted me up with so much hope. People on here act as if I'm not doing anything productive with my life and yet you have so many people in NYC wasting all of the opportunities they receive from government assistance. None of them are going to school...none of them are working...many of them are spending money on expensive material items...many of them are aspiring to become rappers/ballplayers...many of them are committing crimes...you will never hear these type of people talk about being in college, trying to buy a home one day, trying to live in a safer area or even trying to give back to their communities.

I work with children with special needs in the day (Autism, Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida etc) and then I head over to the college in the evening to finish up my nursing classes. I don't know why I'm recieving so much cruelty, negativity and lack of compassion from these people.

Thanks so much for your loving, uplifting kind words. God bless you...I keep people like you in my prayers. Its a shame there's not enough people like you in this world I will be sure to im you if I have any more questions pertaining to my situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It isn't unfortunate when you understand how bad the school has become....what is unfortunate is that it took this long and sunk so many kids until action was finally taken. What's sad is the people defending the horrible education and demanding the school remain open!
Really? I seriously haven't noticed. They just opened a brand new $6 million Health Science Building where I take all of my laboratory classes. I'm on the campus every day and I hear nothing of this. Besides the employees the run Financial Aid, Bursar, Student Advisement, the Nursing Department etc I would have to say I really enjoy the campus. Way less hectic than Manhattan colleges. If you have any more information let me know.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,862,182 times
Why not sell the computer you are using. I assume it's a lap top and that it's yours since you post ever 15 minutes. You could use the computer at the library. Sell your clothes, thats what I do when I need money. Of course I am sure you "need" all these things.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,118,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why not sell the computer you are using. I assume it's a lap top and that it's yours since you post ever 15 minutes. You could use the computer at the library. Sell your clothes, thats what I do when I need money. Of course I am sure you "need" all these things.
You want to bet she'll have an excuse why she can't do that?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm on my family's computer which is used by everyone in my household. And as a college student, a computer is very essential when doing LATE NIGHT research papers when the library is not open. I have already gotten rid of the clothing I don't need. What else you got? lol

Oh girl...you don't know what kind of karma you got coming your way SMH. Change your ways

Old 08-13-2013, 05:53 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,289,180 times
So a student is not even allowed to own a computer....huh? Many responses on this thread makes me SICK!!! I tell all those pencil pushers and self entitled former Minnesota Strip midwestern armchair misanthropics better get out of my way!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,975,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
So a student is not even allowed to own a computer....huh? Many responses on this thread makes me SICK!!! I tell all those pencil pushers and self entitled former Minnesota Strip midwestern armchair misanthropics better get out of my way!
Yes, the computer thing was a bit much.

First, though, you are assuming you have the whole story here - which I do not think we do.

Second, if you had experience in different populations with similar "stories" you would see the problems here. Which I definitely did after a time. Things do not add up. Nobody is that naïve about navigating the system, especially nobody from here, and nobody fails that badly at obtaining financial aid - unless there is far more to the story.

Third ... I believe someone pointed out that this situation, if indeed real, is scarcely specific to New York. So I do not understand the comment about transplants. Here we should deal with that differently ?

Besides, she got answers from people in her own demographic, where those sets of choices are okay and actually expected. Off she goes to NYCHA, if she gets in.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,862,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
What else you got? lol
Drop out of school and work to support your "decision" as I said, pregnancy is an optional condition. You chose it. Get your STNA and go that route for a while. At least you will have an income.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,975,047 times
Quote:
Oh girl...you don't know what kind of karma you got coming your way SMH. Change your ways
It is very odd that you keep saying those things. I'm not sure you understand the actual meaning of "karma." You need to take control over your life and stop looking to all of these invisible and magical forces. They do not exist, as someone already pointed out.

Try to direct your energy to the tasks you have at hand instead of vindictiveness.

You seem very, very young. I would be quite surprised if you are 26 as you state.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,469,647 times
Quote:
Oh thanks! As if that really answers the questions I just listed. Thanks for your help But since you want to know, my child's father is not making enough to provide for me. He is also in college finishing up a degree. His living situation with his family is the same as mine..nothing but constant physical confrontations on a daily basis. I'm deciding to do the shelter thing because I'm at the point where I need a calm place where I can properly care for my child. PERIOD

Now please can someone just easily answer my questions without going off on a tangent?

Since YOU are the one who needs to go to a shelter perhaps YOU should do the research YOURSELF or have YOUR BOYFRIEND do it for you. Call the shelters yourself, ask them the questions, call whatever welfare programs are in your area, ask them yourself.

These are things YOU need to think about before YOU get pregnant and I seriously do not see how you believe that a shelter is going to be a "calm" place to "properly" care for your child. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City